Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Government Emergency Alerts

Emergency Alerts - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Anyone heard of this?

Emergency Alerts is a new service from the UK government. It’s expected to launch in summer 2021.

Emergency alerts will warn you if there’s a danger to life nearby.

In an emergency, your phone or tablet will receive an alert with advice about how to stay safe.

Comments

• Seems a good idea to me. 
  • Common in Chile Australia Japan the States and a few other countries...mainly earthquake/volcano/cyclone related.
    A very good idea if the population actively supports it
  • One of mates took his kids for a day out at margate last week and got the test.
  • It all makes sense now with the Bill Gates covid chips. 
  • I had one of these a few months ago, assume they were testing the framework, fair to say I was a bit confused. 
  • edited June 2021
    Addickted said:
    Emergency Alerts - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Anyone heard of this?

Emergency Alerts is a new service from the UK government. It’s expected to launch in summer 2021.

Emergency alerts will warn you if there’s a danger to life nearby.

In an emergency, your phone or tablet will receive an alert with advice about how to stay safe.

We have these in the US. It’s usually to warn of a major storm heading our way or to warn of risk of flooding. Occasionally it’s to warn of something like unrest - for example, because I live near Washington DC, I got alerts on January 6th when all that nonsense was going on at the Capitol.

It’s ok. It doesn’t happen too often, but occasionally it goes off in the middle of the night to tell you there’s a danger of flooding nearby. That’s quite annoying because it’s like a klaxon, it’s bloody loud and the danger of flooding is nearly always exaggerated! 
    At the end of the day, the inconvenience is not a big deal in my opinion and it probably does save lives.
  • We have them in Massachusetts. Rarely see one, 
  • Sponsored links:

• The team next to us in the virtual office (GOV.UK Notify) is building this, we’re doing it for a tenth of the cost of the planned private sector procurement, and it works a dream.

all credit to them, and another GDS success 
  • edited June 2021
  • George Orwell was only c 40 years out. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    One of mates took his kids for a day out at margate last week and got the test.
    I understand one of the cars on the ghost train became derailed.
  • and of course you can opt out, we've built it to ensure you can

https://www.gov.uk/alerts/opt-out

• Anyone know why the storm over the last few days, which has claimed the lives of seven people, wasn't alerted via the Government Alert system, tested between May 2021 and April this year? 
  • Chizz said:

Anyone know why the storm over the last few days, which has claimed the lives of seven people, wasn't alerted via the Government Alert system, tested between May 2021 and April this year? 
    Because whichever government we seem to get is incompetent.
  • edited October 2023
    Chizz said:

Anyone know why the storm over the last few days, which has claimed the lives of seven people, wasn't alerted via the Government Alert system, tested between May 2021 and April this year? 
    The page does say:

Emergency Alerts is a UK government service that will warn you if there’s a danger to life nearby.

So quite possible you are not in the immediate area concerned perhaps?

ALSO I'm not sure its yet an active service as was in 'test' after all. The page on further review appears to say only 'test' messages have been issued so far.
  • you MAY get alerts
  • Chizz said:

The page does say:

Emergency Alerts is a UK government service that will warn you if there’s a danger to life nearby.

ALSO I'm not sure its yet an active service as was in 'test' after all. The page on further review appears to say only 'test' messages have been issued so far.
    There was no alert sent out anywhere, even in those areas where - demonstrably - there was a treat to life. 

I'd be interested to know whether the Emergency Alert service is up and running. If it's still in test, then that's a perfectly valid reason for the alerts not to have been sent out. But if, after years of testing, it's still not sending out alerts when they would have been necessary, why not? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Perhaps do the research and let everyone on here know, rather than fishing for a response?
  • We have these in Australia, we also get Police alerts for missing persons, etc if relevant to the present location.
  • Perhaps do the research and let everyone on here know, rather than fishing for a response?
    I don't claim to know the answer, hence my question. 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

The page does say:

There was no alert sent out anywhere, even in those areas where - demonstrably - there was a treat to life. 

I'd be interested to know whether the Emergency Alert service is up and running. If it's still in test, then that's a perfectly valid reason for the alerts not to have been sent out. But if, after years of testing, it's still not sending out alerts when they would have been necessary, why not? 
    There has only been one test that has been widescale to my knowledge and which failed (for Three customers at least) - so not sure it is up & running.
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

The page does say:

There has only been one test that has been widescale to my knowledge and which failed (for Three customers at least) - so not sure it is up & running.
    The gov.uk website says "Emergency Alerts is a UK government service that will warn you if there’s a danger to life nearby". I take that to mean it is up and running, as they're using the present tense (as opposed to "Emergency Alerts will be a UK government service..."). 

However it also says "there are no current alerts". I think there should be, after all, what better use of the system is warning of imminent threat to life from flooding? 
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

The page does say:

The gov.uk website says "Emergency Alerts is a UK government service that will warn you if there’s a danger to life nearby". I take that to mean it is up and running, as they're using the present tense (as opposed to "Emergency Alerts will be a UK government service..."). 

However it also says "there are no current alerts". I think there should be, after all, what better use of the system is warning of imminent threat to life from flooding? 
    My 'guess' is the people running this initiative have not reviewed the website wording since it was published alongside the 'test'. It is potentially therefore poorly worded.

I don't recall ever hearing / seeing a conclusion of the test and my conclusion would be that it as it was not 100% passed its not fully operational.

I could be wrong.
  • Huskaris said:
    Because the Tories are devils and would rather people drown than push a button to help them. 

Happy?
    They'll never be happy mate.
  • The clue is at the top of the page, it's in Beta.