Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My dog

He’s an 8 year old Shitzu cross and he’s been in th vets since Tuesday. He is going downhill and won’t eat or drink and now his back leg won’t work. After lots of blood tests and an x ray we are told it must be neurological. The MRI and consultation is costing £3k. Anyone know how we can do this cheaper? We’re at our wits end with worry about the little fella and want to do all we can to help him.

Comments

• Sorry to hear about your dog. 

The cost of vets has soared in recent years. One thing I have learnt is that prices vary significantly from one place to another. It’s worth getting recommendations from others and ringing around. Of course, first of all, you need to find out exactly what tests are proposed.
  • sorry to hear about your dog, very upsetting for you all. Can I assume you are not insured?
  • If you are on benefits, the PDSA might be an option?  https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care-of-your-pet/eligibility 
  • I've just asked my wife for you who is a qualified veterinary nurse

Unfortunately she's said that £3k for a neurological referral isnt a bad price and thinks you'll struggle to get it cheaper.

If you've got Insurance she recommends that you direct claim, and just have to pay the excess.
  • Sorry to hear about your dog. I'm wondering what sort of neurological condition they think he might have and if there's anything they could give him now to help if they have a rough idea what may be going on and they could give something a try.
  • Reading between the lines you don’t have insurance ?

Very sorry to hear about your dog - my dogs are my life, and I would do anything for them

Our previous dog had major problems early in his life with his back legs - thankfully we were insured, as it cost over £25,000 in the end to mend him - I would have remortgaged the house if we didn’t have the insurance, but appreciate not all have that option - he lived to 15 years old, which is amazing for a Springer Spaniel, and the insurers never got back what cost them, even with the ever increasing premiums as he got older

If you are able to afford the £3,000, then best first to have an in depth discussion with the Vet - the key point being, can they cure him, and what will quality of life be - awful to hear that I know, but it’s what is best for him at the end of the day - oh and don’t be fobbed off by them, ensure they are being upfront and honest

Best of luck
  • Our cat was run over a few years ago, but it wasn't terrible.
    We paid about £1500 to sort him out, but he wasn't recovering as expected a week later.
    Then the vets did blood tests and said he had cancer and cat aids.
    I wished they had done the blood tests before we'd paid £1500.
  • That's heartbreaking news, Greenhithe. 

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.....Thinking of you & hoping there's positive news before too long.

Just a thought...Might be worth messaging T_C_E to see if has any thoughts as he has loads of experience of both vets & treatments.  Would bring it to his attention in case he hasn't seen this thread. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    So sorry to hear about your dog @Greenhithe I've asked Mrs RM if she has any ideas, you may know we breed GSD's, but she has said she doesn't know. 
    We, like others have said, suggest you get a second opinion from a different vet as we have found, to our cost, that some vets sometimes get things wrong and there may be another reason.
    Sorry we can't be more help but hope he gets better very soon!

Edit Mrs RM has said it may be worth ringing The Royal Vetinarian College to see if they can advise an alternative.
  • That's heartbreaking news, Greenhithe. 

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.....Thinking of you & hoping there's positive news before too long.

Just a thought...Might be worth messaging T_C_E to see if has any thoughts as he has loads of experience of both vets & treatments.  Would bring it to his attention in case he hasn't seen this thread. 
    Good advice Fanny - I have private messaged Ray a few times for advice - knows his onions dog wise 
  • Thanks Fanny  - ill message him.  The only thing is the vet says he is deteriorating and we are acting fast so the 2nd opinion and everything has sailed i think  - we're full steam ahead. I just couldnt live with myself if we put him down without trying.

• Thanks Fanny  - ill message him.  The only thing is the vet says he is deteriorating and we are acting fast so the 2nd opinion and everything has sailed i think  - we're full steam ahead. I just couldnt live with myself if we put him down without trying.

Good luck mate and I hope all goes well.
    For what it's worth small dog's like yours can live to a ripe old age so as your dog is only 8 I would try to give him every chance. 
    Once again good luck.
  • Thanks to you all for your words.

In the law of sod we cancelled our Pet Insurance 3 months ago as paying £70 per month seemed excessive budget wise  - what a bad decision that was.

We are all working so no help available any other way.  

No one has any views on what the trouble is at all so cant preliminarily treat him.

iainment sorry to hear about your cat mate. That's exactly where we are, But for my wife and 3 daughters nothing but doing what we can is the answer. We have referred him to the Super Vet fella - who surprisingly was a lot cheaper than a lot of the others. I am just waiting for the call to take him. Its heart breaking.    
    My neighbour’s greyhound is with the Super vet at the moment. She had heat stroke last Sunday and turns out to be spinal stroke (apparently greyhounds are prone to this). The vet is treating her though . Fingers crossed for your dog too.
  • @Greenhithe I'm a good mate of Rays and have let him know, via messenger, that you're making contact with him. So if he doesn't see your message he'll definitely see mine.
  • @Greenhithe I'm a good mate of Rays and have let him know, via messenger, that you're making contact with him. So if he doesn't see your message he'll definitely see mine.
    Thanks mate - ive messaged him. Its just knocked us for six - you dont see these things coming.
  • edited June 2021
    @Greenhithe Have there been any other symptoms mate? Did it all come on suddenly? Could he have eaten something whilst out on a walk? There's some nasty bastard's around you know! Not trying to frighten you I'm just thinking of other possible causes if this was a sudden deterioration!
  • edited June 2021
    @Greenhithe Have there been any other symptoms mate? Did it all come on suddenly? Could he have eaten something whilst out on a walk? There's some nasty bastard's around you know! Not trying to frighten you I'm just thinking of other possible causes if this was a sudden deterioration!
    he had a nasty tick buried in his face 2 weeks ago on holiday in Cornwall. We paid a cornish vet to take it out and that was that - we had to give him a course of anti biotics but he seemed fine.

The vets have tested for Limes disease and given him teh all clear

then he became lethargic and wasnt himself this weekend gone and started hiding under my bedside table for hours on end. Then i took him for his evening walk on Monday and he was basically shuffling and moving really weirdly. We then took him to the Vets Tuesday morning and we are now where we are.
  • Sorry to hear about your dog, especially when the price keeps going up and you can see no result. My large dog had his second dose of Pancreatitis about three months ago, with all the tests, scans and keeping him in to rehydrate, at the end the bill was about £3,500. The vet told us that the scan showed at least one kidney was damaged  and the only solution was to euthanise him. This was a Friday, so we thought if he is going to die, we would rather he died in his own home on the weekend with us. Three months later he is still going well, we do not kid ourselves and know his kidneys could go at any time, but at least we have got some more pleasure from him.

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2021
    @Greenhithe I take it they got all of the tick out? Sometimes the head gets left in. 
    Doesn't sound like poisoning, as I alluded to above, but when Mrs RM gets back home I'll give the extra info you've just given. If she has any different thoughts I'll let you know.
    Might be worth asking the vets to test for toxin's? Not advice mate as I'm not qualified but just a thought if the vet hasn't done so already.
  • Have there been any other symptoms mate? Did it all come on suddenly? Could he have eaten something whilst out on a walk? There's some nasty bastard's around you know! Not trying to frighten you I'm just thinking of other possible causes if this was a sudden deterioration!
    Happened recently in Kent (poisoning of cats in Folkestone from memory)
  • @Greenhithe Just in from the school, so have only the basics and will catch up later.
    Ask your vet, no forget that. 
    Tell your vet to refer you to the RVC in potters bar. (Don't accept "we can't as an answer)
  • Have there been any other symptoms mate? Did it all come on suddenly? Could he have eaten something whilst out on a walk? There's some nasty bastard's around you know! Not trying to frighten you I'm just thinking of other possible causes if this was a sudden deterioration!
    @Lordflashheart it's becoming a regular occurrence in both cats and dogs. Where I live people are leaving scraps of food in areas where many people walk their dogs, a few have been poisoned sadly.
    Dogs should be trained not to accept food or eat food off the ground unless given by the owner's.
  • T_C_E said:
    @Greenhithe Just in from the school, so have only the basics and will catch up later.
    Ask your vet, no forget that. 
    Tell your vet to refer you to the RVC in potters bar. (Don't accept "we can't as an answer)
    Agree Ray about the RVC, Angie said the same but to ring them. However better advice is as you have advised getting the vet to refer.
  • Catching up now @Greenhithe
    The bloods were tested for?
    The X-rays of what were taken? 
    I'm assuming hips as you mentioned back leg?

@Lordflashheart it's becoming a regular occurrence in both cats and dogs. Where I live people are leaving scraps of food in areas where many people walk their dogs, a few have been poisoned sadly.
    Dogs should be trained not to accept food or eat food off the ground unless given by the owner's.

Just why would someone want to do that - I agree with you re feeding, unfortunately some dogs it’s impossible to train in that way, or many owners would not know how to train them not to do it

As alternative to training, can we not just shoot the people who leave out the poison 🤔
  • I am in a very similar situation Greenhithe, hope you don't mind if I share your post.

My one eyed Border collie/Beagle cross called Nelson  is losing the use of his back legs, he also has constipated diarrhea.

He's around 13 years old, we've had him for 11 years ( from Dog Trust rescue )

Our vet, (park vet's, Welling ) given him med's for diarrhea but unsuccessful.
    He has been on Metacam for around 2 years now to relieve his arthritis, vet stopped that & substituted another med'n to help his arthritis condition but he wouldn't tolerate it.
    He has a lot of attitude!

So from yesterday he's been on antibiotics ;- metrobactin, attempting to stop the diarrhea.
    Unfortunately the strength in his back legs has worsened considerably in last two days and I fear the end is near.

I may have to decide, have Nelson put to sleep. 
    This is such a hard thing, it's difficult to even post about it.
    Their is also the guilt, I've decided not to have him x- raye'd. If he needs an operation I couldn't afford it.
    The vet is scheduled to call me in 15 minuets so I must stop posting.

• It’s threads like these that show what - in general - a good and caring bunch we are on CL - well done to all, especially @Redmidland and @T_C_E who are clearly the ‘go to’ on a subject like this 
  • edited June 2021

Without loosing track of @Greenhithe subject which is the most important.
    What most of us don't realise is your little independent vet is being run out of town by the big boys and while it may say "Joe Bloggs Veterinary practice" over the door they are being bought out by companies and run as almost multi national under a huge umbrella so where as before Joe Bloggs may have got his books from his days at university and researched the issue, the instructions now are to refer them to the next stage. Which involves unsurprisingly lots of cost to you or your insurance company.