Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Any A/V experts/technicians on here?

Not a member of an AV forum, perhaps I should be, but before I join one, are there any AV experts on here whose brain I could pick please? Happy to direct message on it, but here is my dilemma.

Updating a TV to a 4K LG, but need a new AV receiver compatible and punchy for both my 5.1 surround system (7.1 isn’t an option in the room I am putting the new TV in) and PS5. 

I thought I had broken the back of it when I found the Denon AVR-S650H, but have since discovered that it’s Denon’s later X series that I would need, in particular to get the most out of the PS5, which starts with 7.1.2 models. I am frankly a bit lost now, as I think I specifically need a 5. Model compatible with my speaker system.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be really welcome. Thanks 

Comments

• Why are you using an av receiver to connect your TV/PS/SS?

Why not use HDMI/optical combo?
  • I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that even if you had a 7.1.2 system you could set it so it only outputs to 5.1?

I have a receiver capable of 5.2 but I only use 2.0 and it works well

AVForums is a pretty handy place for advice, I usually ask around there for opinions before I buy something and they were helpful when I upgraded my speakers last year
  • I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that even if you had a 7.1.2 system you could set it so it only outputs to 5.1?

AVForums is a pretty handy place for advice, I usually ask around there for opinions before I buy something and they were helpful when I upgraded my speakers last year
    Thank you, that’s good to know re not using all of the channels. Appreciate it 👍🏻

Thank you, that’s good to know re not using all of the channels. Appreciate it 👍🏻
    Give the manual of the receiver you're thinking of buying a read before you buy. That'll let you know if it's got a setting to output all audio to fewer channels.
  • PopIcon said:
    Why are you using an av receiver to connect your TV/PS/SS?

Why not use HDMI/optical combo?
    I have 4 devices and the speakers channeled through the walls, so am replacing the old receiver which everything is channeled through, bar the PS5 currently and which is not 4K ready.
  • Give richer sounds a call or use their online chat, they'll help you out

• You need this guy!
  • Whatever receiver you get make sure it supports 120hz passthrough for the PS5! TV would have to support it as well mind.

With regards to the channels, using 5.1 won't matter. Just go through the setup on the receiver and you'll be able to configure it how you want. A lot of decent receivers will give you a mic to assist with the setup as well so it can tune the output of each speaker depending on distance from viewing area.
  • Thanks for all of your help. All of the tips above helped and I have found the Receiver I want that supports PS5 well and is configurable with 5.1. Denon’s AVC-X3700. Huge thanks again