Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pre-season Friendlies

Comments

• Can I ask what is stopping those who are so outraged by the fact there is no Welling pre season friendly from going to see Welling against someone else when they can?
    If they’re really bothered about the finances of the club?
    🧐
    Many of us do that through the season, I try and make 5-6 games a year split Dartford/Welling and sometimes Bromley. 

• Rob7Lee said:
    Can I ask what is stopping those who are so outraged by the fact there is no Welling pre season friendly from going to see Welling against someone else when they can?
    🧐
    Many of us do that through the season, I try and make 5-6 games a year split Dartford/Welling and sometimes Bromley. 

Really pleased to hear this 😁
  • Can I ask what is stopping those who are so outraged by the fact there is no Welling pre season friendly from going to see Welling against someone else when they can?
    🧐
    How many Welling v Charlton matches have you personally been to?

The revenue from the matches are a big deal to Welling United. At a guess, 10x what they get per average league match.
  • PopIcon said:
    Can I ask what is stopping those who are so outraged by the fact there is no Welling pre season friendly from going to see Welling against someone else when they can?
    🧐
    How many Welling v Charlton matches have you personally been to?

The revenue from the matches are a big deal to Welling United. At a guess, 10x what they get per average league match.
    A full capacity would be a no no anyway.

• I don’t have to explain myself to anyone for liking us play Welling.

But for those who are nosey, Welling just bring backs so many memories ,taking my kids when they were little as a rite of passage, seeing us score 8 I think a few years back with my Charlton mate who died last year of Covid, plus  I’ve mentioned on numerous occasions my cousin used to play up front for them and scored 28 goals in a season, so used to follow them all over the place with my uncle after his wife got cancer and passed away , but I know it’s a crappy little non league club that mean nothing to people, but hey ho, I prefer preseason friendlies to proper games, they’re a bit more relaxed and less stressful, but I’m probably on my own with this one.
    Pre-Season games are great for grounds we have not played at before.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    🧐
    Glad I’m not the only one who seems to sense a bit of false outrage about all this.

Yes, it’s bit of a shame it’s not happening but it’s not as if it’s something that should be considered an appalling tragedy to beat the ownership over. 

Outrage? I think that's overstating it somewhat. Not sure anyone's beating the ownership with it either, apart from one short line which was just golfie being golfie (never change golfie, this place would be duller for it).

The Welling game is a tradition, and football clubs are built on traditions. It's a match that many people look forward to, and they are disappointed they won't be able to go this year. I think that's understandable, especially at a time when everyone's desperate to see a return to normality.

It's not the end of the world, but not much to do with football is. Hopefully the fixture will be back in its rightful place next year.
  • I think the big issue here and what I have got from this and from what the director at welling has said in his tweets to people.

People need to remember how much Welling rely on the income from this game.

Yes we offered to send an XI but they are probably thinking it may not sell out, and the date we offered to send that XI they already had a first team scheduled that date.

If they dont sell out then with running costs it may end up costing them in the long run.

If we said we are sending a first team, then they know they will sell out and that will be a massive boost for they finance 

Either way we have messed up here IMO we should be sticking with Welling like normal, if there was an agreement with Dartford send the XI to them
    The fixture has never sold out, and its been played since 1987

I would guess the terms of the agreement with Dartford is they give us the ground for under 23 and in return we play a 1st team friendly there, the same terms we used to have with Welling (although there was rumour Meire wanted to charge them in 2014
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Very weird. It's just a friendly.

Welling didn't want to host our U23s and so Welling lost out on the PSF deal.
    I think the comments / reaction is more rooted in the that Charlton Fans lost out on the PSF deal rather than Welling losing out if we are honest. 
  • edited June 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    I think the big issue here and what I have got from this and from what the director at welling has said in his tweets to people.

Yes we offered to send an XI but they are probably thinking it may not sell out, and the date we offered to send that XI they already had a first team scheduled that date.

If they dont sell out then with running costs it may end up costing them in the long run.

If we said we are sending a first team, then they know they will sell out and that will be a massive boost for they finance 

Either way we have messed up here IMO we should be sticking with Welling like normal, if there was an agreement with Dartford send the XI to them
    Blimey, we are Charlton fans not Welling, we're playing Dartford instead. Who bloody cares. 
    Was wondering if this was Welling Life for a moment.

Dazzler21 said:

I think the comments / reaction is more rooted in the that Charlton Fans lost out on the PSF deal rather than Welling losing out if we are honest. 
     It does seem that way.

In addition I think it's worth remembering we did still offer to send an U23 side, if a date can be agreed, all the Welling supporters on here can get along and enjoy the game.
  • PopIcon said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I think the big issue here and what I have got from this and from what the director at welling has said in his tweets to people.

Blimey, we are Charlton fans not Welling, we're playing Dartford instead. Who bloody cares. 
    Clearly a lot of people care, are we just Charlton supporters? I like to think the love goes a little further, doesn't that just make us micro versions of macro clubs. 
    Yeah, I care about Welling United.
    I feel the same way 
  • Dazzler21 said:

Is this not about us supporting a local club ? It’s not massive, but it’s something we’ve done for a while now and is a) a good day out for us b) giving some support to a lower club in the pyramid 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Is this not about us supporting a local club ? It’s not massive, but it’s something we’ve done for a while now and is a) a good day out for us b) giving some support to a lower club in the pyramid 
    We're supporting another local club instead, no harm in that.
  • If some fans genuinely want to support Welling financially, send them a cheque (if you can find your cheque book).
    The day of our behind closed doors friendly against Celtic, Welling are playing at home against Gillingham. No Charlton game to go to and I'm sure everyone here would love to support Welling financially.
    Welling would give us a better test too! 
  • I would hope that the friendlies are what the management believe will help us the most in terms of being ready next season. I agree there is no room for sentiment unless both sentiment and need align. 
  • edited June 2021
    We’ve been here before. There was a lot of bad feeling in 2006 when Dowie sent a non first team to Welling. He later claimed nobody had told him about the tradition of the first team squad playing there, which is unlikely.
  • We’ve been here before. There was a lot of bad feeling in 2006 when Dowie sent a non first team to Welling. He later claimed nobody had told him about the tradition of the first team squad playing there, which is unlikely.
    It was down as a 1st team friendly but he put out effectively a reserve team. Remember reading @Henry Irving weekly column as Fans Director after it where all the board had gone out for a meal with Dowie where Dowie claimed he did not know and would not do it again, we/he never got that 2nd opportunity!
  • Scoham said:
    Some people have too much time on their hands...
    Given the author of the tweet and their current circumstances - I would say that this is a very unfair comment.