Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic and the Olympic Games

Ashley Maynard-Brewer seems on the brink of being the first, current Charlton player to represent his country in the Olympic Games.  But he won't be the only person with Charlton to put the Olympics on their CV.  I found a few - are there any others? 

Dean Lightwood, a Charlton goalkeeping coach, was given the honour of running a leg of the 2012 Olympic torch relay. 

Club Chaplain Matt Baker shared his Charlton role with that of Olympics Chaplain in 2012. 

And, ten years before securing his dream move from Barcelona to Charlton, a 19-year old Allan Simonsen wore the number 9 shirt for Denmark in the 1972 Olympics, scoring against Iran and twice against Brazil (you can them here) in the first round group stage. A win and a draw in the second round group matches left the Danes with just a draw needed against the Soviet Union to qualify for the knockout, but the Russians ran out easy winners.  

Comments

• Marvin Sordell was in the 2012 squad
  • Marvin Sordell was in the 2012 squad
    Didn't join us until the following year. Quite a sad story is Marvin's. 
  • edited June 2021
    I wonder if Zheng Zhi would have played in the Olympics, either before or after playing for us. 
  • I wonder if Zheng Zhi would have played in the Olympics, either before or after playing for us. 
    Very good shout.  He actually captained the team in the 2008 Olympics. 
  • edited June 2021
    Chizz said:
    I wonder if Zheng Zhi would have played in the Olympics, either before or after playing for us. 
    So, doesn't this totally negate the opening post, which the club put out too?
  • Ross said:
    Chizz said:
    So, doesn't this totally negate the opening post?
    It absolutely does.  And, more importantly, brings into question this article on the official website. 

I wonder if @Ollywozere might be able to shed any light on the contradiction... 

• Ooops, I didn’t mean to ruin the great news about Maynard-Brewer! 
  • Article does mention ZZ being the first.........not sure if it was updated to say this?!?
  • Chris Solly was in some sort of provisional list in consideration for 2012’s Team GB side.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:
    Chris Solly was in some sort of provisional list in consideration for 2012’s Team GB side.
    Never knew that one

Chizz said:
    Ross said:
    Chizz said:
    So, doesn't this totally negate the opening post?
    It absolutely does.  And, more importantly, brings into question this article on the official website. 

I wonder if @Ollywozere might be able to shed any light on the contradiction... 

The story has now been amended. Not quite sure how Zheng Zhi slipped through the net! It was very difficult to actually find information on whether or not he played and I could only find stories saying he was likely to miss out on the Olympics due to a back injury, but it looks like he played twice at the 2008 games as an over-age player. 
    Nevertheless, it remains a great honour for Ashley should he make it. 

Seeing he's one of three Goalkeepers currently in the squad Id be surprised if he doesn't go as its the usual number for a tournament - I presume Ashley and the club are eager for him to be involved still what with the doubts over the Olympics still? 
  • cafctom said:
    Chris Solly was in some sort of provisional list in consideration for 2012’s Team GB side.
    There was about 60 people on it though. 
  • Andrew Murray "Boy" Charlton won medals in both 1924 and 28 Olympics.

Vilma Charlton competed in the 1968 Olympics but was medalless.

Anyway, as you were.