Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pre-season Friendlies

Comments

• I had heard that TS had a very disturbing experience in Welling High Street last summer, involving a parking ticket and a gang of 15 year old yoofs looking at him funny in Parkview Road. 

It is of no surprise to me that the Wings have paid the price by losing out on the mighty Addicks visiting!
  • Can’t please everyone. 
  • shirty5 said:
    That may be correct but when you have played this fixture every pre season (Bar last year for obvious reasons) since 1987, it does seem a shame that it won’t be around next month. 
    I don't think the 1987 claim is correct. From previous research from match previews over the years, I believe that it's only become a regular first-team tradition without any gaps since 2002, which is obviously still a significant period of time, but not quite as long as 1987. 

• edited June 2021
    shirty5 said:
    That may be correct but when you have played this fixture every pre season (Bar last year for obvious reasons) since 1987, it does seem a shame that it won’t be around next month. 
    I don't think the 1987 claim is correct. From previous research from match previews over the years, I believe that it's only become a regular first-team tradition without any gaps since 2002, which is obviously still a significant period of time, but not quite as long as 1987. 

Turning it on its head a little, it has puzzled me for years why we haven’t played Dartford in pre-season friendlies more over the years - appreciated they led a nomadic existence for some years after losing their ground in the 90’s, but Charlton draw a lot of support from the area and many players have been ‘traded’ between the clubs, incl the God that is Killer

Edit - sorry, Killer played for Dartford but came to us from Luton - my bad !!!
  • Drop the Bromley game and play Welling. 

Bromley is just mini palace anyway, be better for us to support Welling. 
  • Croydon said:
    Drop the Bromley game and play Welling. 

Bromley is just mini palace anyway, be better for us to support Welling. 
    We're not playing Bromley! 
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    shirty5 said:

Not correct.  The reserves moved from Bromley to Welling at the start of the 87/88 season where the 1st Friendly took place. A pre season (with our 1st team was played there) occurred, originally as the last friendly before the start of the season and then in 94/95 it got moved to the start of pre season until 98/99 when it was for one season only the last game again.  From memory it may not have happened in 99/00 but this was an exception, but there was certainly a game in 00/01.
    Interesting. Maybe 2000 was the break in the link. I'd have to dig out the old handbooks, but the info that there wasn't one in 2001 would have come from the handbook.
  • Sponsored links:

• JohnnyH2 said:
    shirty5 said:

Not correct.  The reserves moved from Bromley to Welling at the start of the 87/88 season where the 1st Friendly took place. A pre season (with our 1st team was played there) occurred, originally as the last friendly before the start of the season and then in 94/95 it got moved to the start of pre season until 98/99 when it was for one season only the last game again.  From memory it may not have happened in 99/00 but this was an exception, but there was certainly a game in 00/01.
    Interesting. Maybe 2000 was the break in the link. I'd have to dig out the old handbooks, but the info that there wasn't one in 2001 would have come from the handbook.
    Doesn’t the Home and Away book list non league / cup games at the back of it ?
  • any chance we could possibly cancel the golf trip with Celtic? or have they already booked a tee off time? 
  • shirty5 said:

I have programmes from early 80's which all reference Charlton XI's but from 1987 it appears they were 1st team games and have been played every year apart from 2020.
    According to Colin Cameron's book, you're quite right, there has been a friendly in some form since '87 although a fair amount were CAFC XI rather than first-team fixtures which may be where the anomalies have arisen. 
    As far as I know the CAFC XI offer was/is on the table for this summer. 
    I think people would gladly accept a CAFC XI on a midweek night if that's all that was on offer this year.
  • also isn't there a trophy that we play for with Welling?
    Got a feeling that recently it was in honour of their former chairman. 
  • shirty5 said:

I have programmes from early 80's which all reference Charlton XI's but from 1987 it appears they were 1st team games and have been played every year apart from 2020.
    According to Colin Cameron's book, you're quite right, there has been a friendly in some form since '87 although a fair amount were CAFC XI rather than first-team fixtures which may be where the anomalies have arisen. 
    The XI thing is a red herring, they were always on the 1st team pre- season fixture list (ignore additional games played during the season for testimonials or additional games), and always had pretty much the 1st team play (*sometimes with some trialists)

It always appears that we did play in 99 pre season so @shirty5 was correct and we have played every season since 1987.  Seems a shame that this year of all years we have ditched the game but ultimately pre season is about getting the squad ready for day 1. 
  • shirty5 said:

Thank you for your confirmation. Much appreciated 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gutted the game with Welling is not happening, maybe Welling got fed up with Charlton fans running on the pitch at the end of the match (ducks for cover).
  • shirty5 said:

Send an xi, send the u11s, fuck it send the upbeats. I'm genuinely disappointed that at a time when Welling United need our help the most, we aren't there to support them. I see this as a Charlton tradition, just like playing the Red Red Robin and just like us playing in the colour red. Traditions come from history and some just happened to be older than others.

Additionally, if a tour is in place, then what explanation would there be for withholding the info? Both the Celtic and Dartford matches came from news reports outside the club.
  • edited June 2021
    PopIcon said:
    shirty5 said:

Send an xi, send the u11s, fuck it send the upbeats. I'm genuinely disappointed that at a time when Welling United need our help the most, we aren't there to support them. I see this as a Charlton tradition, just like playing the Red Red Robin and just like us playing in the colour red. Traditions come from history and some just happened to be older than others.

Additionally, if a tour is in place, then what explanation would there be for withholding the info? Both the Celtic and Dartford matches came from news reports outside the club.
    We might be happy to send the U23s though... Question is do Welling want to play them? - Going by what Olly posted on the last page thats exactly what happened in which case its on Welling not wanting to play our Reserves, which I can partly understand.

The Celtic game was first announced by the club rather than an outside source
  • PopIcon said:
    shirty5 said:

We might be happy to send the U23s though... Question is do Welling want to play them?

I think it's understandable Welling may not want to play our u23s, let the record be known I'd rather see them play the upbeats.

Our website didn't announce the match until late afternoon, the match already been circulating in Scotland earlier in the day.
  • PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    shirty5 said:

We might be happy to send the U23s though... Question is do Welling want to play them?

I think it's understandable Welling may not want to play our u23s, let the record be known I'd rather see them play the upbeats.

Our website didn't announce the match until late afternoon, the match already been circulating in Scotland earlier in the day.
    Both Celtic and ourselves had agreed a time for a joint announcement, I don't believe it had been mentioned anywhere else beforehand. 
    Dartford's announcement is a common problem whereby non-League teams will tend to just announce all their friendlies at once without consulting with the media teams of their opponents first which can be frustrating, but not the end of the world. 

• For background, we are obliged to play Dartford as per the agreement surrounding the use of Princes Park for the U23s during the season. 
    (I understand that Welling were approached first about hosting our U23 games, but turned it down).
    As that game had to be fitted in, it made it very difficult to factor in a Welling fixture around the rest of this pre-season schedule, unfortunately. 
    I believe there’s been an effort by us to try and arrange a CAFC XI team to play at Welling instead, but I’m unsure where that stands. 
    But are we obliged to play a first team at Dartford...?  Surely we should be sending a CAFC 11 to Dartford & a First 11 to Welling. Seems we have shot ourselves in the foot with this one.

Not very happy about this at all. Welling is always THE season curtain raiser. To replace it with playing Dartford instead is very poor imo.

TS has made his first boo boo. Just hope its the last. 
    What makes you think that has anything to do with TS? I can't really see him ringing up the Welling chairman and saying Hi, sorry we've picked Dartford over you, come on
    I think you're being very generous if you're suggesting much thinking took place :-)
  • Announce Welling :smile: