Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rats?

Recently moved slightly further out of town to a semi rural village. Small holes are appearing in our flower beds with the occasional bulb being dug out. My wife is convinced it’s rats, although apart from overhearing the neighbours mention rodents there is no other evidence. We have just had some decking put down so maybe that’s ideal for them? Not one squirrel has been sighted since we moved here, so I think we can discount them.  Any other Lifers had a similar situation that was confirmed as rodents? If so best course of action? 

Comments

• Could be moles?
  • The rats ate the squirrels! Doesn't sound good mate get some traps or inform the council.
  • edited May 2021
  • Definitely not rats . 
  • Move back to town
  • Could be rats
    I had them at the back end of  last summer 
    Destroyed everything in my garage
    Even chewing and breaking the concrete floor caused untold carnage
    Had them under my decking even chewed their way threw a railway sleeper and pond liner to get water!!
    Be warned
  • Could be rats
    I had them at the back end of  last summer 
    Destroyed everything in my garage
    Even chewing and breaking the concrete floor caused untold carnage
    Had them under my decking even chewed their way threw a railway sleeper and pond liner to get water!!
    Be warned
    Nothing worse than a hungry rat at the back end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Hedgehogs. 
  • I live in a rural village, only seen two rats in ten years. We currently have something living in our garden, underneath a platform on our raised bedding, I’ve ruled out a rat as I’ve not found any droppings at all so I find it being a vole a more acceptable situation. 
  • Rats ...... had this bugger digging my bulbs up and make holes all over the place .
  • WHAddick said:
    Have you built it an assault course?

The B*****d was climbing up the Trees to get to the Bird feeders !
  • Get yourself half a dozen green mambas.  They love a good rat.
  • You need a Pied Piper, remember to pay him though if you want to see your kids again.
  • Set some traps/poison, or get a Cat.
  • Have exactly same problem. I grow next to woodland. Placed a field camera and was mainly badgers but also blackbirds who dig neat deep holes for worms in loose compost. Squirrels dug for acorns and mice also chomped through certain plants.
    I have to use netting as a barrier.
  • Sponsored links:

• Are the holes close to birdfeeders or rubbish? Then maybe rats ..do you have a pond ? Bird bath? ..rats must have a supply of water 

Voles makes series of perfectly round holes ,ideally on a bank or slanted ground..about the size of an old penny

Rabbits will start by leaving scuff/scrapings 

Squirrels do take bulbs especially from tubs but moreso in the early spring 

If you are worried that it's a rat and you dont want them ..get 3 18 inch lengths of drain pipe and put poison in the middle put them under cover and ensure they are firmly supported either side by bricks or something heavy so they dt move when a rat or mouse runs through it 

If you poison them they normally go back to their nest and die 

If you do kill one and see it ensure you pick it up soonest and dispose as you dt want it in the food chain ..Corvids and birds of prey would peck it at 

• edited June 2021
    I’ve been trying to get rid of a mouse from my house over the last few weeks. He/she had stolen an entire burger bun and started eating a second (all food now locked away, but he continues to roam about the house during the night). It also ignored three humane traps with various combinations of chocolate/cheese/peanut butter. Seems it’s an experienced mouse who has perhaps been caught before.

• I agree, they are beautiful creatures.
  • I was talking to the guy who delivered our new bins about the council policy of only collecting rubbish once a fortnight because the rats had gnawed the old ones as the rubbish built up in them. He said it’s not the rats that do that it’s the squirrels. I said it’s not the squirrels because those bleeders had learned how to lift the lid on the big bins and don’t need to gnaw the plastic to get to the rubbish and said I’d seen them do it.
  • Nutrella chocolate on a trap is an excellent way of getting rid of your rat/nice. 
  • edited June 2021
    Solidgone said:
    Nutella chocolate on a trap is an excellent way of getting rid of your rat/mice/children

• WHAddick said:
    Have you built it an assault course?

I bet he drinks Carling Black Label
  • Scoham said:
    I’ve been trying to get rid of a mouse from my house over the last few weeks. He/she had stolen an entire burger bun and started eating a second (all food now locked away, but he continues to roam about the house during the night). It also ignored three humane traps with various combinations of chocolate/cheese/peanut butter. Seems it’s an experienced mouse who has perhaps been caught before.

Get a plug in rodent repeller from Amazon for like 20 odd quid. Had a problem with mice in my flat (scratching inside the skirting board at night drove me nuts), since putting that in not seen or heard anything, that was about a year or so ago. 
  • We've had a mouse problem in the flat ever since the housing association have been replacing cladding and ripping up balconies. I've got pest control (paid for by the housing association) sorting out the brick work etc, but we took matters into our own hands and got loads of traditional traps, bait traps and poison. Unfortunately they seem to suss it out after a while, so in desperation I bought some sticky pads. They work a treat and I caught about 10 in a week. Seems to have gone a bit quiet now, so maybe they've got wise to it? Only downside is that they are often still very much alive when you find them stuck to the pad, sometimes in a horrible condition, so you have to finish them off. Not for the faint hearted.