Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Herne Bay experience any lifers living close?

We are considering relocating just outside of Herne Bay (Beltinge) and looking for feedback on the area(s) with any lifers that are local.  
Moving from Eltham both children have moved out, have visited the area many times over the last 5 years but looking for more local feedback. Thanks in advance 

Comments

• Herne Bay is decent, I much prefer it to Whitstable.
  • Lived in Herne Bay most of my life. I love it here honestly. 
  • edited May 2021
    Shithole

Joking

Love the place and intend to do the same in the future. 
  • My brother moved there a couple of years ago and likes it. Lots of micropubs in the area. 
  • Beltinge is a lovely place same as herne aswell it all depends how far you want to be away from things 
  • Herne Bay is a lot of fun, horrible weather in winter given its proximity to a cold body of water but glorious even out of season with the sun out 

• Lived in Herne, it's a lovely place and only an hour from the Valley 👍😊
  • Off topic but you still in the pub game @Strasburger ?
  • We are considering relocating just outside of Herne Bay (Beltinge) and looking for feedback on the area(s) with any lifers that are local.  
    Moving from Eltham both children have moved out, have visited the area many times over the last 5 years but looking for more local feedback. Thanks in advance 
    My dad lives in beltinge, loves it 
  • Herne Bay is decent. The folk that run it down usually can't name the top 5 best things/spots in the area. 

I cannot see you missing out on much in a move from Eltham to HB, and can think of a number of plus points.
  • Sponsored links:

• I live in Herne - love it here.

Beltinge is nice, close to the beach, quiet but pretty quick to get into Herne Bay itself, little row of decent shops etc.
  • Live about 15 minutes away. Love the area
  • Moved here twenty years ago. Lovely town. Never want to leave
  • BodBod
    edited May 2021
    And the Connaught Bingo Club is lovely.
    (if you are that way inclined)
  • Nice ice cream parlour on the sea front. We have an engineer who lives there. Drives 130 miles each way to work most days. The A2 traffic is horrendous so any move away from that area is a bonus in my book.
  • Moved from Barnehurst to Beltinge (Herne Bay) about six years ago. Moved mainly for my special needs Daughter as opportunities and options here for her are excellent compared to Bexley. Complete change of life and all for the better. Didn't know so many lifers lived in this area
  • Drive down to Beltinge every so often with the kids to collect the 54 million year old fossilised shark teeth from the beach there.
  • We’ve been looking at a move to the Kent coast. Checked out Herne Bay and was very disappointed with a lot of it. Sea View Road was nice! We have settled on either Minnis Bay Area, Westgate or Broadstairs. The property market is bonkers though at the moment 
  • I’ve lived in Herne Bay - Beltinge for nearly 6 years having moved down from Orpington.  Wouldn’t go back.  Love the town and sea front.  Could use a few more shops but Canterbury and Westwood Cross for shopping only 20 mins away.  Recommend and I use the coach up to the Valley mostly…
  • You have a good selection of places I wouldn't mind living down that way too. Westgate and Broadstairs are nice Margate and Birchington are up and coming/re-emerging if they haven't already been priced up as such. Faversham and Teynham are nice but the locals are less welcoming. Whitstable in my humble opinion whilst being good for an afternoon on the piss is now too full of Islington obnoxious poshos every weekend.

Good property value in Herne Bay and the surrounding area however be prepared to not return to the bright lights once you move down there. Fingers crossed this new way of working for office staff stays and you get to work from home or find something down that way and keep a good work and life balance 
  • Sponsored links:

• The coastline is on the up as are house prices in Kent - lots of good places to live. Been ignored for a long time.
  • Drive down to Beltinge every so often with the kids to collect the 54 million year old fossilised shark teeth from the beach there.
    Keep meaning to head down there to look for these. Been told they are very easy to find
  • Off topic but you still in the pub game @Strasburger ?
    Only in a support role these days.  Have not ruled out a return to running one again, it is genuinely a great thing to do, well worth the hard work.  
    That's no way to talk about Roland 
  • Herne bay is lovely  when the weathers right , some nice little pubs & some great towns & villages within 30 mins drive to visit.

lost most of my youth in the kings hall in the very early nineties & dancing on the beaches till the sun came up & beyond 
  • Carter said:
    You have a good selection of places I wouldn't mind living down that way too. Westgate and Broadstairs are nice Margate and Birchington are up and coming/re-emerging if they haven't already been priced up as such. Faversham and Teynham are nice but the locals are less welcoming. Whitstable in my humble opinion whilst being good for an afternoon on the piss is now too full of Islington obnoxious poshos every weekend.

Good property value in Herne Bay and the surrounding area however be prepared to not return to the bright lights once you move down there. Fingers crossed this new way of working for office staff stays and you get to work from home or find something down that way and keep a good work and life balance 
    Agree about Whitstable lovely to visit for us but not worth the price when it's an easy walk along the coast with regular bus back! 

Both our jobs will be remote, permanent for me and at worst 2 days for Mrs S. Train into London is not to bad at about 90 minutes and the few flexible season ticket if coming to the area is a bonus.  
  • For me, Whitstable hit it's peak early. Maybe a decade ago. It's change can be illustrated by seeing clientele in the Pearson's these days. 

There was a location, location, location episode a few years back of a couple moving from Bromley to Herne Bay. Could be worth a find.

• mendonca said:
    For me, Whitstable hit it's peak early. Maybe a decade ago. It's change can be illustrated by seeing clientele in the Pearson's these days. 

There was a location, location, location episode a few years back of a couple moving from Bromley to Herne Bay. Could be worth a find.

I lived in pubs in whitstable through the 70s & 80s but moved away mid nineties, it was a great place growing up & a fantastic community but on my returns over the years for family visits I have to agree with you it’s changed a lot over the last 10-20 years 
  • mendonca said:
    For me, Whitstable hit it's peak early. Maybe a decade ago. It's change can be illustrated by seeing clientele in the Pearson's these days. 

I lived in Whitstable for a few years a decade ago and while I still like it, it's definitely changed even in that time - busier, more expensive, a bit less friendly & cosy somehow
  • Moved from Barnehurst to Beltinge (Herne Bay) about six years ago. Moved mainly for my special needs Daughter as opportunities and options here for her are excellent compared to Bexley. Complete change of life and all for the better. Didn't know so many lifers lived in this area
    Me neither!  We'll have to have a pub meeting up for an away Sky game or something when things are all a bit more normal!