Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Will the IOC cancel the Tokyo Olympics?

The Tokyo Olympics are now just two months away and calls to ditch the Games in the face of the pandemic are getting louder by the day in Japan. A coronavirus state of emergency has been extended in the capital Tokyo and three other major prefectures as cases continue to rise.

The IOC own regulations say they can cancel the games if "the IOC has reasonable grounds to believe, in its sole discretion, that the safety of participants in the Games would be seriously threatened or jeopardised for any reason whatsoever". Surely the pandemic is such grounds?

Comments

• They should do but just like still playing the CL final in Portugal they probably won’t. Common sense seems to have gone out the window.
  • Probably should, probably won’t 
  • The Olympics will not go ahead - my prediction anyway.
  • Reckless act of self importance if they do go ahead and any national teams associations  that participate should be held accountable for when and if it goes wrong.
  • Cowardly IOC. Always dictating like an unwanted Cuckoo....what about the Japanese people then ?

Perhaps on future we can have an Olympics without tennis , football and all the other sports that have their own world events !
    Not just the ICO, I'd imagine the Japanese organisers want it to go ahead too as otherwise there going to lose a bomb 
  • Saw a BBC news report about this yesterday.   From that, I can't see how it can go ahead 
  • Cancel? No.
    Postpone to 2022? Yes.

Don't think IOC will act.
  • Sponsored links:

• The competitions will be overshadowed by covid outbreaks and constant political statements by the athletes. Cancel it now.
  • edited May 2021
    Cowardly IOC. Always dictating like an unwanted Cuckoo....what about the Japanese people then ?

Perhaps on future we can have an Olympics without tennis , football and all the other sports that have their own world events !
    Not just the ICO, I'd imagine the Japanese organisers want it to go ahead too as otherwise there going to lose a bomb 
    Will they lose out on that much if there's no spectators? Surely that's one of the main drivers to hosting, the increased tourism.

Should just it to next year, or let Japan host the next one and roll the following games onto whoever was going to host that.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Cowardly IOC. Always dictating like an unwanted Cuckoo....what about the Japanese people then ?

What like athletics, rowing, swimming …

The Olympics is the main athletics event isn't  it. Rowing...not athletics. 

The Olympics is too bug , too expensive a d doesn't  need new venues every 4 years either. Use existing  ones.
    Let's cancel the World Cup whilst we're at it.
  • MrOneLung said:

The Olympics is too bug , too expensive a d doesn't  need new venues every 4 years either. Use existing  ones.
    you said all the other sports that have their own world events
    the first three sports I thought of were athletics, rowing and swimming and they all have their own world championships

In fact the only Olympic sports I can think of, off the top of my head that dont have their own world championships are boxing and tennis

• MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

the first three sports I thought of were athletics, rowing and swimming and they all have their own world championships

In fact the only Olympic sports I can think of, off the top of my head that dont have their own world championships are boxing and tennis

Baseball? It has a “World Series” but I’m not sure that’s the same as having a world championship?
  • Possibly - although I think baseball is one of the hosts guest sports.
    Don't think it will be in next Olympics
  • Croydon said:

Will they lose out on that much if there's no spectators? Surely that's one of the main drivers to hosting, the increased tourism.

Should just it to next year, or let Japan host the next one and roll the following games onto whoever was going to host that.
    The hosts nation's share of the global television rights - that's the big bucks they will miss out on.
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

Amateur boxing (which used to be the case in the Olympics!) has its own World Championships.
  • MrOneLung said:

I say bring back chess to the Olympics.
  • Sponsored links:

• In 1900 in Paris they used live pigeons rather than clay pigeons in the shooting event.
  • edited May 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

The Olympics is the pinnacle of those 3 sports though. Indeed the World Athletics Championships didn't start until 1983

To me the criteria for whether a sport should be in the Olympics is whether an Olympic Gold is the pinnacle of that sport, the thing that everyone remembers, the medal that you treasure most

For athletics, swimming, amateur boxing, rowing, track cycling, wrestling, hockey etc that's clearly the case. 

For the likes of football (especially men's), tennis, golf etc that's not the case.  
  • it's been a huge investment for the Japanese and of course they are keen to let it go ahead .. But no/only a very few overseas spectators will be let into the country, a lot of athletes will boycott the games, so the result would be a down graded TV only second rate tournament. It should be postponed until next spring/summer, that will be the only sensible outcome
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:

The Olympics is the pinnacle of those 3 sports though. Indeed the World Athletics Championships didn't start until 1983

To me the criteria for whether a sport should be in the Olympics is whether an Olympic Gold is the pinnacle of that sport, the thing that everyone remembers, the medal that you treasure most

For athletics, swimming, amateur boxing, rowing, track cycling, wrestling, hockey etc that's clearly the case. 

For the likes of football (especially men's), tennis, golf etc that's not the case.  
    I agree - was just responding to the barrage of posts from the other user. 
  • I think the Olympics is a huge waste of money however much I like sport. There are so many wasted facilities that have been built.

• edited May 2021
    bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:

I say bring back chess to the Olympics.
    and painting - we won gold in "Oils and Water colours" at London 1948
  • I think the Olympics is a huge waste of money however much I like sport. There are so many wasted facilities that have been built.

Other than the mess of the main stadium, the London Olympics was pretty well done. The facilities left in the park, like the velodrome, swimming pool and Copper Box are all useful, while other venues were temporary and taken down and used elsewhere

It helped that we had existing nearby venues that could also be used (like the O2 and ExCeL)
  • And the 11,000 new homes.

An the income from subsequent events. 

IOC report suggesting over $40 billion in benefits up to last year.