Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton TV - free end of season show Tues 18th May 7pm (p7)

Comments

• It's almost certain that you'll be able to watch the games from abroad.

Yeah I doubt that will stop as the service has been running for a few seasons anyway. The pregame show may get dropped though, and we could have to have to go back to single camera angle, lower definition iFollow feeds, rather than the slicker CAFC provided stream, but these are what we've been getting for away games anyway.
  • In terms of dodgy streams, you would hope that most Charlton fans wouldn't wish to cheat their own club financially.
    My point exactly mate. I dont think many do but certain circumstances dictate some cant get to all the games so if there is no option I will get the stream from wherever I can. I have already said I personally would be more than happy to pay the same price as a match ticket. I'm not trying to rob the club I'm trying to give them my £ which if I cant spend with them I will have to spend elsewhere on another stream
  • In terms of dodgy streams, you would hope that most Charlton fans wouldn't wish to cheat their own club financially.
    People already do, If the club increase the price more people will.
    I know people who bought rogue devices which give them access to all efl streams plus Sky/BT channels.
    My season ticket seat is £575, which works out at £25 per match for 23 matches, would people be prepared to pay that for a stream?
    A Valley Express pass for 23 home matches is £210, the cheapest adult season ticket is £260, which is already £30 more than streams for all home league matches.
    To travel by coach & purchase away tickets probably works out at about £40 a match over a season, will people be prepared to pay that for a stream?
    The red button service on Sky for championship matches is good for those who are paying Sky subscriptions, again not cheap if you are already a season ticket holder or regular supporter.
    Instead of when people would attend a non-league match at Welling/Dartford/Bromley etc when we were away, they would probably prefer to sit indoors & watch the stream, this can only harm these clubs.
  • I still feel a lot of this is jumping the gun, certainly in terms of the UK. I have already mentioned how I cannot see the much smaller clubs in League 1 and 2 not being remotely intrested in this in terms of lost revenue 

What I cannot also see happening is the host/exclusive rights holder (Sky Sports) going along with this. They pay the EFL for the exclusive rights. They do not show all the matches, but that does not mean they want other providers doing it (in this case the individual clubs), become that means they have potential other viewers not watching their channels at the same time.

It has been mentioned on here how they have the red button Championshop option, but that is only the midweek games and with the single camera. Sky do this as on those nights BT have the Champions League and just one Championship game on Sky will not stop the majority switching over. Show all the Championship games over 2 nights (again done deliberately to limit BT viewers) and Sky know that people will watch their own clubs rather than Champions League, but less so another Championshop game.

Might well be the compromise is Sky for the remainder of their contract with the EFL show all 3 leagues via the Red button, but I'm not convinced at this stage they will say to the clubs, carry on, show this content on your own platform so Sky lose viewers and none of this additional revenue goes to them.
  • I think the majority of people on this thread favouring the streams don't live near The Valley and would rarely attend. So I agree their stream revenue is beneficial.
    What is mainly being ignored is the vast majority who live closer and are more likely to attend, but won't if there is an available stream.

Next season when people are perhaps finishing work at 6pm and would have to make a massive effort to get to The Valley for 19.45 KO, it is understandable that they may prefer to go straight home on a cold and wet night and watch the Crewe/Fleetwood/Shrewsbury/Cambridge game in the warmth of their home.

I still recall sitting in The Royal Oak, just me and the bar maid for about 20 mins, 18 months ago for a JPT game and I'm also confident that the actual attendees for some of those midweek games a couple of seasons ago were 5,000 maximum, announced as 9,000.
    Even some of the Saturday games had about 7,000 announced as 10,000 (or thereabouts).

Muttley has had the best idea with either a S/T or you have to buy a block of games and something needs to be done about dodgy streams (but doubt it will).
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    CAST have simply agreed with the club that we will provide some thoughts / have a discussion regarding streaming in future. Thomas himself said at Bromley Addicks meeting, I believe, that he would like to continue Charlton TV.

We are fully aware of the commercial aspects- it can only be a possibility if structured in a way that makes sense for clubs/EFL, fans and broadcasters. I can envisage something making more sense in L1/2 - where few games are broadcast live so it is potentially an incremental revenue opportunity - than it does in the Championship. 

Feel free to email thoughts to secretary@castrust.org.

PS We have been actively supporting the season ticket campaign and CAST is open to all Charlton fans from Plumstead to Prague or Sevenoaks to Stockholm via Shetland.
    I would exclude Prague if I was you :wink:
    I would exclude Plumstead. 🤔
  • I think the majority of people on this thread favouring the streams don't live near The Valley and would rarely attend. So I agree their stream revenue is beneficial.
    What is mainly being ignored is the vast majority who live closer and are more likely to attend, but won't if there is an available stream.

Next season when people are perhaps finishing work at 6pm and would have to make a massive effort to get to The Valley for 19.45 KO, it is understandable that they may prefer to go straight home on a cold and wet night and watch the Crewe/Fleetwood/Shrewsbury/Cambridge game in the warmth of their home.

I still recall sitting in The Royal Oak, just me and the bar maid for about 20 mins, 18 months ago for a JPT game and I'm also confident that the actual attendees for some of those midweek games a couple of seasons ago were 5,000 maximum, announced as 9,000.
    Even some of the Saturday games had about 7,000 announced as 10,000 (or thereabouts).

Muttley has had the best idea with either a S/T or you have to buy a block of games and something needs to be done about dodgy streams (but doubt it will).
    Financially the club would would be ok if despite having a season ticket, people chose to stay at home rather than watch Accrington in an evening match as the £10 streaming fee would on average cover the amount spent on food and drink spent per head.

Not great for the atmosphere though if 3000 S/T holders choose to watch on TV instead

Financially the club would would be ok if despite having a season ticket, people chose to stay at home rather than watch Accrington in an evening match as the £10 streaming fee would on average cover the amount spent on food and drink spent per head.

Not great for the atmosphere though if 3000 S/T holders choose to watch on TV instead
    Absolutely, but also bear in mind that if S/T holders don't make the effort to attend games that they have already paid for, what is the chance of non S/T holders making the effort when they haven't paid.
    There is definitely a solution to be found, but it's not straightforward.
  • Sponsored links:

• HexHex
    edited May 2021
    Perhaps an enhanced season ticket, eg +£230, giving you the streaming option as well would work for home matches.
    Also, the 3pm live Saturday match ban is a UEFA rule.
  • I suppose there are two key numbers. One is how many Charlton fans can't get to games for whatever reason and the second is how many of them would be in the market to buy a stream.
  • If you live near to The Valley and would prefer to take the stream rather than attend I think it’s most likely you wouldn’t attend, stream or not. There are I accept some “armchair fans” who rarely attend but they might be tempted to increase club revenue and take a stream. I wonder just how many fans the club has who live at a distance that makes it very difficult if not impossible to attend home matches regularly. I now live in West Yorkshire and a trip door to door is just under four hours. How often do you think I will attend ? I’ve not had a chance to test out the practicality yet but I doubt I’ll attend more than half a dozen matches at The Valley at best. I would take a stream for every game if available which would increase revenue to the club from me from nothing to something. 
    Some people though live distances from the Valley that while it's still perfectly doable, are far enough away to make the midweek journey home a bit of a slog. Getting home at 7pm on a Saturday is different from the same journey home on a Tuesday, arriving at 11:30pm. 

But you would also get revenue from fans who would never have considered attending a mid-week game vs Fleetwood due to distance or effort involved to attend, but would pay for a stream because it's so much more convenient.

But you would also get revenue from fans who would never have considered attending a mid-week game vs Fleetwood due to distance or effort involved to attend, but would pay for a stream because it's so much more convenient.
    You would also have less people attending if it's a home game

• The thing is I can see CAFC making a sensible decision, but am not as confident the football authorities will, although remain hopeful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Never really understood what football has against television.

It's like a restaurant refusing to do take-aways because it might stop people coming in for a sit-down meal.

Just charge roughly the same for either option.

People who want a night out will go out. People who want a night in will get a take-away!
  • edited May 2021
    clive said:
    I apologise if some of my earlier remarks have upset anybody, but i am concerned for the future of the game if it becomes to easy for people to stay indoors watching streams & not attend football matches, i am probably a rare case [mad] maybe, who has devoted my life to supporting Charlton which includes not missing a home match since the mid-seventies until lockdown & probably only missing a handful of away matches in that period & i made sure to never have a job that required missing a Charlton match or living too far from the Valley.
    As other people have mentioned on a cold wet Tuesday night in November how many people will travel to the Valley if they can stay indoors & watch the game on their tv.
    It is probably impossible to stop illegal streams & although it is heartening to read that people are willing to pay over the odds to watch legal live streams, many people will still prefer to use illegal methods.
    This discussion has been going for most of this season & in no way did i mean to upset the two people on this forum recovering from their recent ill health.
    I am not pretending to be more worthy than anybody else & all i want is to see a full Valley & as many people as possible follow the team to away matches to try & get the club back up the leagues asap.
    I suppose a possible evolution is entrance to watch a game is a token fee to create the atmosphere (people attending) for the stream.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Never really understood what football has against television.

It's like a restaurant refusing to do take-aways because it might stop people coming in for a sit-down meal.

People who want a night out will go out. People who want a night in will get a take-away!
    Never a good idea to compare going to Charlton and going to a restaurant.

How is life back in Belgium Katrien!
    Point well and truly taken!
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Never really understood what football has against television.

Never a good idea to compare going to Charlton and going to a restaurant.

How is life back in Belgium Katrien!
    Point well and truly taken!
    All a bit cryptic !
  • If you live near to The Valley and would prefer to take the stream rather than attend I think it’s most likely you wouldn’t attend, stream or not. There are I accept some “armchair fans” who rarely attend but they might be tempted to increase club revenue and take a stream. I wonder just how many fans the club has who live at a distance that makes it very difficult if not impossible to attend home matches regularly. I now live in West Yorkshire and a trip door to door is just under four hours. How often do you think I will attend ? I’ve not had a chance to test out the practicality yet but I doubt I’ll attend more than half a dozen matches at The Valley at best. I would take a stream for every game if available which would increase revenue to the club from me from nothing to something. 
    Some people though live distances from the Valley that while it's still perfectly doable, are far enough away to make the midweek journey home a bit of a slog. Getting home at 7pm on a Saturday is different from the same journey home on a Tuesday, arriving at 11:30pm. 
    I fully understand your point and wasn’t thinking about those fans. I was thinking of the Charlton followers who don’t attend any more than a game once in a blue moon like Wembley for example but might well take a stream if it was there. If asked who they support they might reply Charlton but don’t have the inclination to attend. 
  • Personally believe the best way around it, is to still offer the valley pass/Charlton TV to overseas fans- but whilst keeping the pre and post match chat with curbs still going - just having it played on the big screen and make an event out of the game! 

Instead of music that’s played currently whilst fans wait in the stadium, give them a reason to get in early! Give them something to watch on the concourse and in their seat aka the Charlton TV show! 

Keeps production costs at the same rates whilst getting fans in their seats and included in on the action! 
  • Trial for next season on existing £10 basis and see what happens?
  • Streams I would fear would hurt the long term grow of clubs like Charlton. 

You don’t support Charlton for the glory, the bug for me come from a young 7 year old going to his first game the crowd the noise the whole match day experience. You can’t replicate that on a steam and have that connection. 

I can’t see the kids of the future falling for Charlton because there dad, uncle etc put it on the tele. It then becomes no different to Liverpool, Man U etc so why would they choose Charlton in league 1.