Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

35 years ago today...00

We get promotion again at our 'lucky'ground Carlisle winning 3-2 after being 2-0 down
Got to Carlisle about 9 in the morning - hundreds of Charlton were already there.
Great day out and stayed overnight in Preston
Happy days

Comments

• We get promotion again at our 'lucky'ground Carlisle winning 3-2 after being 2-0 down
    Got to Carlisle about 9 in the morning - hundreds of Charlton were already there.
    Great day out and stayed overnight in Preston
    Happy days
    Yep I was there too. One of the best own goals I’ve ever seen. Never seen footage of that goal.
  • Jim Tolmie, what a finish, what a day out that was.
  • Think I drove @bolloxbolder and @Big William there and back in the same day, so was pretty sober.

Jim Tolmie's own goal was a blinder.
  • _MrDick said:
    What a day and a half that was!! A group of us met at the Yorkshire Grey at some god unearthly hour in the middle of the night and travelled up in a Toyota people carrier. Got up there at about 10:30, checked into the B&B and headed to the pub. The pub was virtually opposite the station and was rammed with Charlton. Turned out it was their main pub and little old Charlton had taken it. The locals didn’t take too kindly to that so mounted an assault which 4 or 5 of the main faces at the time repelled on their own. The train laden with Charlton fans arrived at about 2:30 just as the pub was emptying to form a see of Red from the high street down to the ground. To be honest, I was so drunk, I fell asleep on the terrace and missed most of the first half but was very much awake to see the winner from, I think, Mark Aizlewood. It was all a bit hairy afterwards and in town in the evening but I lived to tell the tale. Massive hangover on the way home the next day and not much banter. The photo was taken after the match. Great memories …

Quality 
  • Great day out, bloody long drive home.
  • Brilliant day out. From what I remember wasn't it really windy and that's why they'd gone 2 up in the first half? Also I think Lenny Lawrence was carried over to the fans at the end.
  • One of my favourite ever days. Not just Charlton, but in life.
  • edited May 2021
    Addickted said:
    Think I drove @bolloxbolder and @Big William there and back in the same day, so was pretty sober.

Jim Tolmie's own goal was a blinder.
  • was there - we were in some sort of square and saw a load of carlisle run up the road - a minute later they come running back down with charlton chasing them - guess that was from the pub mentioned above 
  • Sponsored links:

• was a world class own goal - wonder how much we bunged him for that 
  • Got the coach from Well Hall or was it The Valley ,  as a 15 year old 99% sure Threadkiller and Saysomething were with me , sat at the back and played cards for money (can’t remember if it was poker or pontoon) the pot was kept in an old school Charlton woolly hat .
    Promotion to the top flight for the first time in my lifetime , we were gonna be playing the mighty Liverpool, Everton . Arsenal . Man Utd , Villa,  Spurs it really was a dream come true for a football pervert like me .
    Of course once 2-0 down I knew we’d fuck it up …. But oh no footballing miracles do happen and promotion was secured  .

Was this the very last game of the season for us or was there a midweek fixture drawn with Wimbledon just before or after , sell my mushed up memory 
  • Yes we drew 0-0 with Wimbledon at Shithurst the following Tuesday. 
    Didnt that mean we went up as Champions? My memory is vague!
    Didnt that mean we went up as Champions? My memory is vague!
    It confirmed second place behind Norwich, with Wimbledon third.
    And "chaired" Lennie around the pitch afterwards.

So who is carrying Lenny?
  • Loved that beanie hat.

So who is carrying Lenny?
    The guy directly to the right of LL (as we look at it) with his mouth open and left hand in the air is called Micky. Didn't know him that well but he used to be part of the group of us who all used to go together back then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:
    Loved that beanie hat.
    Still have mine !!!
  • I was there too; stayed at my Mum & Dad’s in Lincoln on the way there and back. One of the few games my ex-wife came to; we both really enjoyed the day and as others have said, the own goal has to be one of the best of all time!