Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

3rd May 2021. 100 years ago today this happened.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56806404

Her majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second mentions the anniversary, so it might be of some interest to Royalists.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-56966270

Comments

• Isn't popcorn an indicator of an anticipated argument?
    Green popcorn being a specific reference to Ireland?
    It is an anniversary of something that happened, that isn't something up for dispute.
  • I wish I knew more about the history of Ireland. I always think it fascinating that at school I was taught about the Romans, Ice Age Britain & Boudicia but nothing that actually impacts me on a day to day level like Israel/Palestine and Ireland.

One thing I will say, having just read that BBC piece, is like the GFA and the Brexit Treaty, Partition was a fudge and a compromise by politicians who don't have the balls to sort something out properly. Too many people not wanting to upset others and thereby creating problems that carry on for years.....if not centuries.
  • When you have two sides who fundemantally oppose each other, surely any agreement has to be a compromise? The GFA was running along pretty well until the other thing you mentioned happened along. I wont go there, of course. 
  • edited May 2021
    As a royalist, unionist and leave campaigner, my only response to this post is to state that I am, and always will be, absolutely proud to be all three. 
  • Although the boundary commission which came up with the actual border was not set up until 1924.

There is a lovely and at times very funny book by Spike Milligan called Puckoon which discusses the lunacy of the process. (There's a bar in Puckoon which has the border running through it with all the customers packed into the much smaller section because the tax on beer is less in that bit.)
  • When you have two sides who fundemantally oppose each other, surely any agreement has to be a compromise? The GFA was running along pretty well until the other thing you mentioned happened along. I wont go there, of course. 
    The GFA was a complete con. But we can't discuss that anymore otherwise this thread will be pulled. 
  • cafcfan said:
    Although the boundary commission which came up with the actual border was not set up until 1924.

There is a lovely and at times very funny book by Spike Milligan called Puckoon which discusses the lunacy of the process. (There's a bar in Puckoon which has the border running through it with all the customers packed into the much smaller section because the tax on beer is less in that bit.)
    The two hands on the pen drawing the border is so funny.

One of the funniest books I’ve read.
  • iainment said:
    cafcfan said:
    Although the boundary commission which came up with the actual border was not set up until 1924.

The two hands on the pen drawing the border is so funny.

One of the funniest books I’ve read.
    It is years since I read it but it had me in tears in places. I still remember the singer whose bottom jaw was fixed and the top of his head moved up and down.
  • Sponsored links:

• His books about his time in the Army had me in stitches when I read them as a teenager. 
  • As a royalist, unionist and leave campaigner, my only response to this post is to state that I am, and always will be, absolutely proud to be all three. 
    And as a republican, a want-Ireland-to-be-one-country-ist, and remainer, I'm not anything like you but I'm proud we can have our differences and be civilised about it.
  • His books about his time in the Army had me in stitches when I read them as a teenager. 

Me too - during his life he was, in my opinion, the funniest man on the planet.
  • Irish stew in the name of the law.
  • bobmunro said:
    His books about his time in the Army had me in stitches when I read them as a teenager. 

Me too - during his life he was, in my opinion, the funniest man on the planet.
    He banked with the bank I work for

When he rang up, he would be asked if he could identify himself

He would put the phone down, walk to a mirror, come back, pick the phone and say ‘I’ve just looked in the mirror, and it’s definitely me’

Other things he would do, would be to ask his wife to come on the phone and say it’s definitely him, or if he had guests, get them in the phone 

After many times of his bank manager asking him to instead answer his i.d. questions, they gave up, and instead a list of the things he would come out with was on our system, and whoever picked up his call could refer to that

But he got wise to that, and his responses became more outrageous to try and ‘beat’ our systems !!

In the end, every phone call had to go to his bank manager, no matter how trivial
  • Born in India.
    Accident of birth as we all experience, a happy accident I would say.
    Grew up and spent many of his formative years in the People’s Republic of Lewisham.