Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

I’ve got wind

Jeez, where did that come from last night?

How rubbish has the weather been so far this year? Into May now and reckon we’ve had about 3 decent days so far 

Comments

• Although April was a bit nippy I'm sure it was one of the driest on record.
    These pubs and restaurants have been lucky with the weather the last 3 weeks.
  • Table cover off of my garden table is gone...
  • It’s annoying.  The winter was long and hard enough with lockdown, and soon as we get to April I’m always of the mindset that we’ve broken the back of the bad weather.  Hopefully from next week onwards we start to get those warmer temperatures 
  • clb74 said:
    Although April was a bit nippy I'm sure it was one of the driest on record.
    These pubs and restaurants have been lucky with the weather the last 3 weeks.
    Daytime yes, but get to 6pm over the last month and it’s been freezing. 
  • Not looking forward to my tennis match this morning v Old Wilsonians in a 40+mph gale.
  • Was playing football in it last night. Didn’t go too bad considering.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Making up for last year.  Summer came extremely early last year, didnt it?!  pretty sure we was all out in our gardens by the beginning of April only a few weeks into lockdown.
    Yes it did. I arrived two days before lockdown and within a week or so we were in the garden. 

We had huge winds here on Sunday night, actually. 
  • edited May 2021
    The cricket ground needed rain , the outfield is cracking up (like me) and it has been freezing
     i had 6 layers on yesterday thickest thermals and gloves to watch my son play cricket 
    utter filth with that wind
    yet some of the space cadets who he plays with turned up without their jumpers ffs
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought we were supposed to have had a lot of rain yesterday, but my garden doesn't look as though we did. Not much fell before it got dark and I think what we did have must have passed through very quickly (no pun intended).
  • edited May 2021
    At the John Smiths and its freezing, windy and pissing it down.  I am convinced Huddersfield is the coldest place on the planet. 
  • Absolute gales in the Isle of Wight. My body getting rid of the remnants of hospital food.  And it’s also extremely windy!
    Certainly was a bit breezy down this way yesterday Sillybilly. Fingers crossed that's the last we've seen of the hospital sprouts now but give me shout if not, I'll have to take the bins back in. 
  • Anyone else feel in last ten years or so the wind has gotten mental .

Lots more real windy days than ever before , I can’t remember anything like the wind we’re having , thankfully most of the shit that would have blown away has happened so we’re getting used to it but apart from Fish’s big gaff back in the late 80’s I don’t remember wind as bad as the last few years way back then when I were a lad .
    It's the same here where I live. More extreme weather in recent years. There was even hail a couple of days ago in quite a few nearby cities. Hail in May, unbelievable really. Never ever happened before in this time of the year. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    At the John Smiths and its freezing, windy and pussing it down.  I am convinced Huddersfield is the coldest place on the planet. 
    Raining cats but no dogs?
    It's a town full of dog botherers they don't need any more :wink:
  • Maybe there is something in this climate change thing.
  • Huskaris said:
    Table cover off of my garden table is gone...
    It’s ok, I’ve got it. I’ll pop it back later 
  • _MrDick said:
    Huskaris said:
    Table cover off of my garden table is gone...
    It’s ok, I’ve got it. I’ll pop it back later 
    Blew out into the middle of our close apparently (so went over a couple of fences). Went and got it back from my neighbour this morning!

Wish there was footage of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone else feel in last ten years or so the wind has gotten mental .

Lots more real windy days than ever before , I can’t remember anything like the wind we’re having , thankfully most of the shit that would have blown away has happened so we’re getting used to it but apart from Fish’s big gaff back in the late 80’s I don’t remember wind as bad as the last few years way back then when I were a lad .
    Not just the strength but it's so unpredictable it seems to come from all angles now. You used to be able to be pretty certain that if there was a wind in southern England it would be a mild westerly bringing warmish Caribbean air. I reckon well of half the wind we've had this year has been bitterly cold northerlies. Next thing, we'll be getting Saharan sand blown up from the south or perhaps another Beast from the East.
  • There was 12.5mm of rain overnight (compared to 2mm in April).  However, there is nothing unusual about the current weather.  People have too high expectations of May weather.  Sorry folks.
  • Temperatures heading towards the 20c+ Next week.🌞
  • Hex said:
    There was 12.5mm of rain overnight (compared to 2mm in April).  However, there is nothing unusual about the current weather.  People have too high expectations of May weather.  Sorry folks.
    Daytime, yes.  It's one of my many tired jokes to respond to the line in 'My Girl' by The Temptations ("when it's cold outside, I've got the month of May") with "....And?".  But the very chilly nights are definitely under par, and even with coats etc I can't enjoy the evening pints properly
  • Saw the thread title "I've got wind". Saw Solidgone made the last comment. Decided not to read the rest. 
  • Hex said:
    There was 12.5mm of rain overnight (compared to 2mm in April).  However, there is nothing unusual about the current weather.  People have too high expectations of May weather.  Sorry folks.
    Daytime, yes.  It's one of my many tired jokes to respond to the line in 'My Girl' by The Temptations ("when it's cold outside, I've got the month of May") with "....And?".  But the very chilly nights are definitely under par, and even with coats etc I can't enjoy the evening pints properly
    Yes, overnight temperatures have been well down.
  • 20mph winds yesterday and today. Garden furniture has completely rearranged itself!
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Making up for last year.  Summer came extremely early last year, didnt it?!  pretty sure we was all out in our gardens by the beginning of April only a few weeks into lockdown.
    Sod's law that the April we're completely locked down the weather was superb. This year, when we're able to do some stuff, it's been absolutely gash for the most part.
  • When I moved north I fully expected the weather to be generally worse than the south but so far I’ve not experienced that at all. Temperature wise it’s perhaps on average two degrees cooler most of the time but last summer was better than London based on my experience and family contacts and so far this spring it’s been generally lovely. Very dry and Sunny. I’ve managed to get all the gardening completed at least a month ahead of plan. Much needed rain yesterday. As an aside. As most of our weather comes west to east I think the area I live with is just east of the Pennines sits in a rain shadow where it’s generally dryer than surrounding areas. Can’t wait for summer proper.
  • Croydon said:
    20mph winds yesterday and today. Garden furniture has completely rearranged itself!

That's about 16 knots. It's dangerous