Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Steve Gallen

Top Man!

Awesome interview with Ollie Groome on Valley Pass. A refreshingly astonishing insight into the past 10-11 months. And a huge amount of respect for Lee Bowyer and Chris Parkes too.

Comments

• we all love Stevie !!! ((:>)
  • So has the shine worn off?

Lauded as a miracle worker in seasons past under similar circumstances to this year.
    If anything the last two windows had some stability. Has the wage cap done for him this time round?
    Or is he,like Bowyer someone who quite enjoys and thrives in the cut and thrust of mad cap ownership?
    Will Thomas be trusting him with the loosened purse strings?

Lauded as a miracle worker in seasons past under similar circumstances to this year.
    If anything the last two windows had some stability. Has the wage cap done for him this time round?
    Or is he,like Bowyer someone who quite enjoys and thrives in the cut and thrust of mad cap ownership?
    Not remotely. The squad is not great, but he was playing with a stacked deck and the squad imbalance has to be laid primarily at Bowyer's feet here - he was very clear that the lack of defensive options was through his own choice.

A poor summer window may change that but he deserves a chance to show what he can do in a professional set up with actual money behind him before judgment.
  • Silly thread update
    Thanks for that.

This site is littered with negative musings of our current crop.

Is it not fair to look at the recruitment?

Maybe I'll DM and run it past you first next time.
  • Sponsored links:

Worked miracles in the past.

Last summer had his hands tied and we were weeks behind the rest of the division making signings. 
    In January we signed some decent players for this level (Millar, DJ, Stockley). Jury is out on Schwartz but at the time he also seemed a decent signing.

We'll see how we get on this summer when we're not fucked over by a shit owner and a salary cap.
  • its not silly to ask the question - play offs were definitely mooted as the target at the start of the season and again by bowyer after the jan window so it looks like those targets haven't been met - we all know the problems with the cap and the lack of time to assemble the squad but recruitment is now the number one topic of importance so anybody that thinks your 'bumping' question is silly, has their head up their own back side 
  • gallen seemed to do well in the past and although we bemoaned RD, i'm sure we were able to offer more than most league 1 competitors when we brought in the likes of cullen and bilek so hopefully with TS able to offer the same or more money, gallen may be able to repeat previous successes - we shall see 
  • DOUCHER said:
    its not silly to ask the question - play offs were definitely mooted as the target at the start of the season and again by bowyer after the jan window so it looks like those targets haven't been met - we all know the problems with the cap and the lack of time to assemble the squad but recruitment is now the number one topic of importance so anybody that thinks your 'bumping' question is silly, has their head up their own back side 
    or their tongue up somebody else's backside most likely
  • i know a very talented midfield player who wants to come to us, the club have said they want him (although not directly to the player) but the player has heard nothing back and is likely to move from Chelsea to Leeds imminently - not sure why but we appear to have missed the boat here  
  • DOUCHER said:
    i know a very talented midfield player who wants to come to us, the club have said they want him (although not directly to the player) but the player has heard nothing back and is likely to move from Chelsea to Leeds imminently - not sure why but we appear to have missed the boat here  
    You’re telling me, a talented midfielder at Chelsea, wants to come to League One Charlton Athletic but because no ones has got back to him he’s off to Leeds instead? 🤔

Lay off the special brew for breakfast Douch 😘
    yep
  • All I hope is that Gallen & Adkins are sufficiently financially supported to limit Prem loans to a max 3 (Gallagher, Bielik, Cullen quality) with the rest permanent signings. Ideally those perms will be 22-29 years old with potential/development opportunities and sell on value. There are so many decent league one level out of contract players, let alone those in the lower half of Championship that I think Gallen/Adkins should be able to have a field day (with the right financial support). 
  • 1st team football or reserve football for a 19 year old is a big deal - reserve football at the other end of the country, even more so  
  • edited May 2021
    DOUCHER said:
    i know a very talented midfield player who wants to come to us, the club have said they want him (although not directly to the player) but the player has heard nothing back and is likely to move from Chelsea to Leeds imminently - not sure why but we appear to have missed the boat here  
    If he can get a premier league move, why on earth would he even be considering a league one club?

Why wouldn't a championship side be interested in a Chelsea youth player?
  • Sponsored links:

• DOUCHER said:
    If he can get a premier league move, why on earth would he even be considering a league one club?
    see above 
  • DOUCHER said:
    Probably "Leeds" is the clue there 
  • DOUCHER said:

Why wouldn't a championship side be interested in a Chelsea youth player?
    Not to mention a lot more wedge & the chance to work under Beilsa. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    1st team football or reserve football for a 19 year old is a big deal - reserve football at the other end of the country, even more so  
    Are Chelsea releasing him or is this a loan/transfer?

If he doesn't want to go north then surely he's good enough to get a championship move closer to home? If he's good enough for Leeds then i can't see why he wouldn't have championship teams queueing up for him.
  • he could stay at chelsea but isn't getting 1st team opportunities other than occasional bench - he can go to Leeds and be understudy to phillips? or he could come to charlton and hopefully have a season of 1st team football - maybe he would have other offers in the championship but why haven't we spoken with him? He lives in sidcup and talks with gallagher, maatsen and has been to the valley to watch quite a bit - seems logical to me - he's captain of the chelsea academy team he plays in and plays for England - seems strange we haven't spoken to him. 
  • james beadle is third choice keeper in first team squad now at charlton, another sidcup boy and he's 16 - we need to build a hungry team of talented youngsters who can move up through the divisions together 
  • Until our fate is mathematically confirmed (albeit only as of yesterday effectively confirmed)  I doubt any firm offers would be made. I expect options / variables are in hand. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    he could stay at chelsea but isn't getting 1st team opportunities other than occasional bench - he can go to Leeds and be understudy to phillips? or he could come to charlton and hopefully have a season of 1st team football - maybe he would have other offers in the championship but why haven't we spoken with him? He lives in sidcup and talks with gallagher, maatsen and has been to the valley to watch quite a bit - seems logical to me - he's captain of the chelsea academy team he plays in and plays for England - seems strange we haven't spoken to him. 
    Is this Lewis Bate?

If so isn't he highly thought of at Chelsea, and making their bench at 18 is a good achievement. He's not likely to be getting first team opportunities yet anyway. 
  • In hindsight offering Gunter and Watson 2 year deals to take out a large chunk of the wage cap budget was a poor decision.
    Agree, both poor signings, but I hope it’s a mistake we learn from rather than repeat - especially when we should a budget that means we can bring in some of the best younger players in this division.

If older/Championship players come in they need to be more like Morrison and Kermorgant - young enough to have something to prove, not more like Gunter and Watson who are past their best and on the decline. If we keep a few of our older players we won’t need to add many more in that age group.