Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Paul Friar

Paul was a Scottish full back who played for Charlton in a couple of seasons in the 80's. He finished up playing for lower division Scottish teams and retired around 1997. Does anybody know what happened to him after he retired please?

Comments

• My mate played for the youth and reserve team at the time Friar was with us and played at Highbury against Arsenal reserves when we lost 12 0. Curbishley was playing and after the game was beside himself with rage and screamed at Fryer “Tuck, call yourself a professional footballer? You’re a fucking cheat”. My mate was only 16 and said he didn’t know where to look so just put his head down and looked the other way.
  • edited May 2021
    Paul was a Scottish full back who played for Charlton in a couple of seasons in the 80's. He finished up playing for lower division Scottish teams and retired around 1997. Does anybody know what happened to him after he retired please?
    Was going to say he has a successful career in the States, but then remembered it was Curtis.
    No idea I'm afraid!
  • My mate played for the youth and reserve team at the time Friar was with us and played at Highbury against Arsenal reserves when we lost 12 0. Curbishley was playing and after the game was beside himself with rage and screamed at Fryer “Tuck, call yourself a professional footballer? You’re a fucking cheat”. My mate was only 16 and said he didn’t know where to look so just put his head down and looked the other way.
    Lawrence and Curbs mentioned that game on valley pass the other week. 
    If my memory serves me right it was on the same day as either the Palace game when we announced we were leaving The Valley or the last game against Stoke.
  • That is the right time period. He never played in the first team after we left the Valley but had a spell on loan with Northampton before leaving permanently and joining Aldershot.
    If my memory serves me right it was on the same day as either the Palace game when we announced we were leaving The Valley or the last game against Stoke.
    Fairly certain it was the Stoke game. 
    Pretty sure Chris Whyte scored 6 for Arsenal that afternoon (they played him as a centre-forward!) 
  • For a time after leaving us he played for Welling whilst working at the then Crook Log Sports Centre
  • Thanks JohnnyH2. He was with Welling in 1987 but played for a whole bunch of clubs after that. I have tracked him back to Scotland in 1996 playing for Fauldhouse United but then nothing. Someone must know what happened to him after that?
  • Paul if he is the one that also played for Bournemouth then he is in the police force down in Bournemouth.   Can also be found sometimes in poppy inn Chard Dorset .
  • Sponsored links:

• Good try Lewis, but I think you have got the wrong person. Paul Friar never played for Bournemouth.