Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

West Stand/ East Stand

First post - season ticket holder since 96, started supporting Charlton at the right time, after the valley exile, just before the glory days, having seen the good and more recently the bad (apart from last weekend of course) should we rename the west or east stand the “Alan Curbishley Stand”? Maybe it’s been discussed before but should we petition the club? 
Maybe in years to come and it’s a big IF Lee Bowyer will follow when he gets us in to the premiership, long shot I know but we can all dream.! 

Comments

• I get the sentiment, but my view is no. Where do you stop? Easy to argue we should equally have a Lennie Lawrence stand. I think The Jimmy Seed stand was a one off, was named over 30 years ago, and recognises a unique contribution that can never be repeated by the simple fact of the progression of time. 

Also, whilst West Ham have named a stand after a Charlton fan, there is absolutely no reason why we should do the same in reverse.
  • We could name the home dugout seats ‘The Keith Peacock Bench’ ...and stick a red ‘blue plaque’ on them 
  • I think it would be good to have the west named after curbs.
  • We should name a turnstile after Robert Lee. And we still have the Bartram Gate - the entrance at the top of the East Stand. 
  • personally like the idea. 
  • It will be the Curbishley Corner when we expand the ground and fill in the SE corner
  • Didn't the sale of Lee Bowyer back in the day allow us to redevelop the ground to how it is today ? so maybe a tribute to him , but where do you stop . 
  • Excatly, where do you stop. And there's nothing to stop the bloke becoming Millwall manager tomorrow. So, no.
  • fadgadget said:
    Didn't the sale of Lee Bowyer back in the day allow us to redevelop the ground to how it is today ? so maybe a tribute to him , but where do you stop . 
    Think he paid for the east stand.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lee Bowyer is the east stand that's what his fee was used for
  • fadgadget said:
    Didn't the sale of Lee Bowyer back in the day allow us to redevelop the ground to how it is today ? so maybe a tribute to him , but where do you stop . 
    Was completed before his debut...
  • The west stand should be the Thomas Drieson stand.
    He's good at football manager and spotted the talented Belgian cock.

But where do you stop?
  • fadgadget said:
    Was completed before his debut...
    Did his fee clear the debt on it ?
  • The dowie shitter
  • Ahem, the katrine latrine I think you mean...
  • edited June 2019
    Think these things should be done posthumously, personally. So it’s a no from me, for now.

Edit: just re read and realised how grim “for now” sounds... not expecting Curbs to pop his clogs any time soon.
  • I personally don't think anyone is good enough to have their name on the west or east stand, at present.

Whoever this possible futuristic Charlton player/manager might be...still awaits.

I think you need to both support the club and play for us/manage us.

You need to win at least one cup/league

Score a very important goal or provide a particular high class 10/10 performance.

Be club captain

Certain amount of appearances 

Alan Curbishley, Kieth Peacock, Derrick Hales, Chris Powell, Johnnie Jackson .....they're all names. Plus many others.

Just feel like there might be a futuristic star that will tick every box 

• Sadly a few years ago I can imagine one of the stands being names after Richard Murray
  • I'm not a big fan of naming stands. I'm happy with the Jimmy Seed because, as mentioned above, his contribution was a one-off. But that's where it should stop unless, as Dave says, we get someone truly remarkable. And no, sorry Curbs, a few years in the Prem is not remarkable enough. If our greatest manager gets the smallest stand named after him, it's going to take something really sensational to get the name of a bigger/better stand. 

For me there are two big problems with naming stands after people: 1. That those in recent memory are credited more than those from times gone by.  Arguably, there is no-one in history who has done more for our club than Scotty Kingsley. I bet though if you ran a straw poll amongst all the Charlton fans who were at Wembley last week only a tiny minority would recognise his name, let alone be aware of his contribution. If Curbs is honoured, why shouldn't Scotty be, and all those other largely forgotten heroes of the past? 2. What do you do when the unnamed stands run out? Do you rename one taking away a formerly bestowed honour, or do you stop the practice altogether?  The naming of stands should be done very sparingly. I've not seen any evidence that we need to do more than we've done already.

• Sponsored links:

• The re-naming I would like to see would be for the North Stand to revert to 'The Covered End', even if that referred to the North Lower, currently it is in spirit and soul if not on ticket stubbs 
  • I like the idea of naming stands. Naming the West after Curbs would be fitting given that it was the success he brought to our club that allowed for its development.

Would also like to see a sign above the North reading "The Covered End".
  • I like the idea of naming stands. Naming the West after Curbs would be fitting given that it was the success he brought to our club that allowed for its development.

I like The Covered End idea...👍

I like The Covered End idea...👍

He would be the first member of CL to be honoured
  • How about 

"The covered CARD end" 😉
  • In respect of ticket sales we could always rename the north stand the Pete Towns End amid a quck chant of "who are you". Better than the Bill Curbishley stand.

• I think the West Stand is crying out to be renamed - but who ?

The Derek Hales Stand
    Eddie Firmani Stand
    Johnny Summers Stand
    Don Welsh Stand

Personally I think ‘The Sam Bartram Stand’ is appropriate, especially with his statue outside it

Views ??
  • Keith Peacock Stand
  • The West Stand.