Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who should we be signing if we stay in League One?

edited April 2021 in General Charlton
The Crewe midfield for starters?

Comments

• edited April 2021
    Signing a striker has got to be the number 1 priority. Really need someone who can score the 20+ goals which you need to be promoted. 

Aneke, Washington & Stockley are fine at this level, but really need someone more clinical to be up top.

I liked the look of Bishop and Charles at Accrington when we played them. Imagine they are realistic option instead of the like of Jephcott at Plymouth who will probably cost £3/4million+
  • Wonder if we'll go back in for Jordan Graham at Gillingham, might even be a free transfer this summer

11-goals and six assists this season, would be perfect if we're sticking to 4-3-3
  • edited April 2021
    Dare I say it but Marquis wouldn’t be a bad shout......but might be impossible as Pompey would want to keep him no doubt.
  • Fraser of MKD
    Lowery of Crewe.
    Carlos Mendes Gomes of Morecamb
    Joe Piggot of AFC Wimbledon

Maybe the lad from Exeter we were linked with in Jan.

Don't know the Lincoln players but if they don't go up then they must have a couple we should look at.

A big chunk of our U18 team given how well they are doing.
    I think Pigott will have a few suitors from a higher division than league one, especially as he's out of contract so a no brainer signing for half of the championship.
  • I imagine that a team like Lincoln, if they don't go up, will lose a few players to bigger L1 sides, that's how it tends to work
  • Alan Curbishley
  • edited April 2021
    Wonder if we'll go back in for Jordan Graham at Gillingham, might even be a free transfer this summer

11-goals and six assists this season, would be perfect if we're sticking to 4-3-3
    He's had a great season. The risk is that it's the first time he's done much. Decent player having his breakthrough season or an average player having a great season?

Having said that, after joining Wolves with potential he only scored one goal for them, which came at the Valley. So maybe it's his lucky ground and boy do we need some luck at home. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dare I say it but Marques wouldn’t be a bad shout.
    From what I've seen of him for Doncaster and Portsmouth now he feels a bit of a Schwartz type striker

If you cant do everything for him he's not going to find the back of the net
  • Wonder if we'll go back in for Jordan Graham at Gillingham, might even be a free transfer this summer

He's had a great season. The risk is that it's the first time he's done much. Decent player having his breakthrough season or an average player having a great season?

Having said that, after joining Wolves with potential he only scored one goal for them, which came at the Valley. So maybe it's his lucky ground and boy do we need some luck at home. 
    Cheers didnt realise that Wolves signed Graham

Always presumed he was just another highly rated academy who graduated there

What about Vadaine Oliver? 16 goals this season

29 so not young, but maybe another Lyle Taylor type who peaks late in his career?
  • A few players I've liked the look of this season aside from the obvious like Fraser:
    Joe Powell at Burton, came through at West Ham
    Conor Grant at Plymouth, came through at Everton
    Camara at Plymouth, nice physical presence although I missed our drubbing of them recently. Impressed me whenever I've seen him. 

I think we'll be interested in Kirk again. 
    From what I've seen of him for Doncaster and Portsmouth now he feels a bit of a Schwartz type striker

Can’t see us playing the wages those players would demand. Likes of him and Norwood are on wages which we paid Vetokele when he signed. Cannot see us signing players who would demand close to 10k a week etc. 
  • edited April 2021

Lowery & Dale impressed, Piggott, Fraser & the lad at Wigan whose name escapes me

we need to bring the age of the squad/team down so pick the best youngsters from Leagues One/Two who we think are good enough for League One but can grow and improve to play Championship level plus a few more experienced players.

• I imagine that a team like Lincoln, if they don't go up, will lose a few players to bigger L1 sides, that's how it tends to work
    I quite like their CB Adam Jackson. I also like Blackpool's CB Daniel Ballard on loan from Arsenal. Think a few Champ clubs might be interested but I'd be up for a season long loan. Got some decent experience this season and still improving. Only Hull have conceded less than Blackpool this season. 

What about Vadaine Oliver? 16 goals this season

29 so not young, but maybe another Lyle Taylor type who peaks late in his career?
    Might be worth scouting first, first season where he's got double figures so would feel a bit of an Ajose signing

From Lincoln I'd love it if we could sign Jorge Grant or Montsma but can see both going to the Championship regardless
  • Can't profess to have much idea beyond agreeing we need to be going for younger players who've looked decent at this level and can get better.

Although I was another one impressed with Fraser at MK Dons.

McCann at St Johnstone had looked very promising in both games I've seen him in (no idea whether a) those games were reflective of him generally or b) whether there would be interest in him from higher up!).
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we need something like the following:

Amos, NEW, allow AMB to get a season in League 2
    Gunter, Matthews
    Purrington, NEW
    Inniss, 1 of Deji or Pearce, 2 x NEW
    Gilbey, JFC, 1 of Watson or Pratley, 3 x NEW
    DJ, 2 x NEW
    Aneke, Washington, 2 x NEW

So I'd keep about 12 and look to sign at least 11. I'd be up for keeping Maatsen, Famewo and Stockley again. Maatsen has been inconsistent but let's not forget he turned 19 last month. If he had come through our academy we'd be raving about him. I wouldn't be against Millar returning either. 

We need a couple of quality CM's, one with a real physical presence like Camara at Plymouth. That's where we have lost out this season (aside from CB but injuries have caused that). A couple of quality wingers are going to be important aswell under Adkins. 

I think AMB and Morgan need loan spells. Pratley/Watson, Deji/Pearce, Shinnie, Schwartz should go. 

Can’t see us playing the wages those players would demand. Likes of him and Norwood are on wages which we paid Vetokele when he signed. Cannot see us signing players who would demand close to 10k a week etc. 
    Well.......we/Thomas may have to bite the bullet, we are either big players or scratching around again.
    The impression we are being given, is that we will be prepared to shell out.
    We can only hope Gallen will come through with some stella signings......he certainly has the ability.
  • Yeah.....he scored a hat-rick a few days back.
  • We need to reduce the average age of the squad for a start, or at least the average age of the starting XI. Also we need to reduce our reliance on loanees. 

Bowyer steadily increased this during his tenure. In our 2018/19 promotion squad, 51% of appearances were made by players aged between 20 & 24, this has dropped to just 23% this season. In 18/19 14% of appearances were made by players aged 30+, this is 31% this season, our highest yet. 

If anyone is curious I've written a bit more about this and included contract lengths in my blog here

Agreed

Ben Watson's experience might have been really useful for a young squad, but we already had Pratley and Pearce to provide that

And then we went out and signed 2 experienced RBs (31 and 29) and a 31 year old midfielder (Shinnie) followed by a 31 year old Danish striker in January

Watson, Gunter and Schwartz are all under contract for next season too.

Looking at our squad, excluding loan players it's notable that Purrington (24) is one of the youngest players, with only DJ and Morgan of the regulars younger than him
  • Yeah.....he scored a hat-rick a few days back.
    One of them was an own goal tbf
  • J BLOCK said:
    Dare I say it but Marques wouldn’t be a bad shout......but might be impossible as Pompey would want to keep him no doubt.
    They hate him at Pompey. He isn't the level of quality we need. 
    17 goals and 6 assists........6 more than the next highest.
    Why on earth would they hate him.....can’t see it myself?
  • I think the Pompey fans criticism of Marquis is that he needs a ton of chances to score. So he might nick a goal but he'll miss 5-6 other good chances.

Then again you could argue that that's league one for you. If he took most of his chances, he wouldn't be playing in league one for Portsmouth.