Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP Jim Steinman

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56825060

Composer of some classic songs, especially for Meatloaf such as Bat out of Hell, Dead Ringer For Love and I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That) plus the Bonnie Tyler classics Total Eclipse of the Heart, Holding on for a Hero. RIP

Comments

• Bat Out Of Hell was produced by Todd Rundgren, of course. The album was turned down by virtually everyone but Rundgren took the job because he thought it was hilarious, in a good way. It was tongue-in-cheek. Biggest production credit of his career. And he played the motorbike sound on the album on his guitar. Steinman said he wanted a wheelie,so Todd played a wheelie on his guitar.
  • Great songwriter. Bat out of Hell is one of THE best albums ever. 

RIP.
  • RIP to a top songwriter, in fact in many ways an over the top songwriter!
  • RIP Jim.   
  • Wrote some absolute belters and one of the iconic albums of all time. Lord knows how many households have a copy of it in some form or other. Would have to say "Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad" my favourite from it.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• I listened to Jim Steinmanns album of Bat out of Hell. It just sounded totally pretentious. But the production with meat loaf singing turned the music into one of the best sellers. 
    Thank you for the music Jim. RIP
  • Solidgone said:
    I listened to Jim Steinmanns album of Bat out of Hell. It just sounded totally pretentious. But the production with meat loaf singing turned the music into one of the best sellers. 
    Thank you for the music Jim. RIP
    It was never pretentious - all tongue in cheek and completely over the top. 

What can I say - he was totally shit from the start.

RIP 
  • Meat Loaf was a staple of my dad's car stereo, particularly on trips to Selhurst and The Valley. It took me until I was about 20 before I realised how tongue in cheek the lyrics were. Not remotely pretentious, more like a parody. They had a lot of fun with it. "I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way I'm ever gonna love you... but don't be sad cos two out of three ain't bad!" is fucking genius when delivered so earnestly. 

Then you've got Paradise by the Dashboard Light and that insane... thing about the Fender guitar crashing down on the bed. It's all so silly, but the quality of production and the heart of the performances so bloody impressive. 

I read once that Steinman actually lent his vocals a lot too after Meat Loaf fucked his own voice up, but not 100% sure that's true. 
  • The guy owned a grand piano that was shrink-wrapped in studded leather. What's not to love? RIP!

Now we'll never know what it was that Meatloaf wouldn't do :(
  • Rizzo said:
    The guy owned a grand piano that was shrink-wrapped in studded leather. What's not to love? RIP!

Now we'll never know what it was that Meatloaf wouldn't do :(
    TBF he does explain that in the song! 

After a while to forget everything
    It was a brief interlude and a midsummer night's fling
    And you'll see that its time to move on

I won't do that
    I won't do that

I know the territory
    I've been around
    It'll all turn to dust
    And we'll all fall down
    And sooner or later you'll be screwing around

I won't do that!
    No, I won't do that!
  • edited April 2021
    Jim Steinman's own album "Bad for Good" is one of my favourites especially the A side. was originally written for Meat Loaf but as he had vocal issues Steinman did the singing himself. and to be fair he has a pretty damn good voice. A long with Rory Dodd. 

Over blown and over produced yes, but man its good fun to listen to.

And I ran up the stairs to my parents' bedroom
    Mummy and daddy were sleeping in the moonlight
    Slowly I opened the door, creeping in the shadows
    Right upto the foot of their bed
    I raised the guitar high above my head
    And just as I was about to bring the guitar crashing down
    upon the centre of the bed, my father woke up, screaming "Stop!"
    "Wait a minute! Stop it boy! What do ya think you're doin'?
    That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!"
    And I said: "God dammit daddy!
    You know I love you, but you got a hell of a lot to learn about rock an' roll"!!!!! "

It then jumps straight into "Stark Raving Love". 

• Jim Steinman's own album "Bad for Good" is one of my favourites especially the A side. was originally written for Meat Loaf but as he had vocal issues Steinman did the singing himself. and to be fair he has a pretty damn good voice. A long with Rory Dodd. 

You know I love you, but you got a hell of a lot to learn about rock an' roll"!!!!! "

Wow.... someone else that loved bad for good. Even my dear old dad loved the album. Stark Raving Love with all the different guitars playing is a one of my favorite songs and Jim will be missed. A great songwriter. 
  • Jim Steinman's own album "Bad for Good" is one of my favourites especially the A side. was originally written for Meat Loaf but as he had vocal issues Steinman did the singing himself. and to be fair he has a pretty damn good voice. A long with Rory Dodd. 

I love that monologue! He used to do it at live shows, and it's also on Bat out of Hell Pt. 2 where it leads into Everything Louder Than Everything Else!

• Sponsored links:

• RIP A songwriting and production genius. A latter day Phil Spector who reinvented the "wall of sound" concept.
    I also loved his solo album Bad for Good, and the title track of Streets of Fire, "Tonight is what it means to be young"
    So many underrated songs, "Read em and weep", "Total eclipse of the heart", "Dead ringer for Love" with Cher.
    But one of my favourites was "I'll kill you if you don't come back".
  • Marvelous OTT stuff. My personal favorite was the Pandora’s Box album where he used four different female lead vocalists. 
  • Selecting Meat Loaf (and Bonnie Tyler) to perform Jim's songs was pure genius, as it placed them on an entirely different level.
    Bat of Hell was in the album charts for years if not decades (may re-enter following Jim's untimely passing).
    I still remembering listening to Bat for the first time and thinking F&CK!!
    Rest in Peace, Jim.
    You were one of the best songwriters of your time and your songs will ensure your memory will not fade into obscurity...