Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fukushima: Japan announces it will dump contaminated water into sea

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/apr/13/fukushima-japan-to-start-dumping-contaminated-water-pacific-ocean

“Environmental groups and neighbours condemn plan to release more than 1m tonnes of contaminated water in two years’ time”

Comments

• MrOneLung said:
    I read the level of contamination will be less than what is permitted in drinking water as they are diluting it so much before releasing it. 

Other nuclear plants around the world already do this 
    it seems less bad with that context
  • The two year thing is a bit misleading - they will start doing it in two years but the process will take decades and be done in very small amounts over that time. Not just dumping it all in two years time.
  • UK water companies illegally dump millions of gallons of raw sewage into rivers and bathing waters every day while paying dividends to their overseas shareholders and no-one gives a shit (so to speak). 

Better to focus on those nasty Japanese folks..

If anyone hasn't seen it yet, I'd recommend a look at last night's Panorama. I think we should focus on cleaning up our own act before pointing the finger at others.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vk71
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolute non story.
    Japan's environmental standards are world class since the mercury scandal.in the 1950's.

Certainly better than dumping mountains of toxic and nuclear waste in an occupied neighbour like, say, Tibet.
  • edited April 2021
    A bullshit non-story, pushed by environmentalists to sensationalise because people just see 'nUcUlEeR wAiSt' without understanding the science of dilution, latched onto by politicians for point scoring purposes and magnified by the media to sell papers/clicks

Peak 2021
    I’ve liked that because it gives the piece some relevance but it’s really not the answer is it. The pollution caused here won’t be going away and the very real long term effects will be cumulative for thousands of years. There has to be found a better answer to what is obviously widespread current practice. Just because people get away with it all over the world doesn’t make it right or even sensible.
  • If anyone wants an idea of the levels of radiation still in Japan, watch dark tourist on netflix, its a shocker 🙈
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    If anyone wants an idea of the levels of radiation still in Japan, watch dark tourist on netflix, its a shocker 🙈
    Great show. I wish they'd make more episodes.
  • edited April 2021
    Scroll down to 'soil decontamination' section to see the extent of the effort, and use of science Japan is applying.
    https://acsess.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/csan.20425

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/12/191212081926.htm

• A bullshit non-story, pushed by environmentalists to sensationalise because people just see 'nUcUlEeR wAiSt' without understanding the science of dilution, latched onto by politicians for point scoring purposes and magnified by the media to sell papers/clicks

Peak 2021
    I’ve liked that because it gives the piece some relevance but it’s really not the answer is it. The pollution caused here won’t be going away and the very real long term effects will be cumulative for thousands of years. There has to be found a better answer to what is obviously widespread current practice. Just because people get away with it all over the world doesn’t make it right or even sensible.
    No - that's a perfectly valid point. What we do to the planet in general is an absolute disgrace - but this specific instance is almost a complete non-issue. It's a sensationalised piece of tat. 
  • we all need heat, light and comfort, the price we all pay is planetary pollution.
     Until huge amounts of money are spent on research into both 'alternative' energy forms and into waste disposal, the consequences for the planet's eco systems will be unpredictable.
    This recent BBC article should give us all the shivers. There are just too many people producing too much waste product for the health of the planet and all the billions of people living on it .. Sewage discharged into rivers 400,000 times in 2020 - BBC News
  • edited April 2021
    Dizzle said:
    I watched Seaspiracy last night on Netflix and that sent me to bed on a proper downer
    The scene with the slaughetering of whales, that was plenty to stop me ever eating fish again. (I didn't even eat much fish before and haven't eaten much meat at all since last January, except what I believed was ethically sourced Tuna)
  • Dizzle said:
    I watched Seaspiracy last night on Netflix and that sent me to bed on a proper downer
    Not  trying to derail the thread but although I thought Seaspiracy raised good points and important questions - I wouldn't take everything it presented as scripture, the director is a hardcore vegan to start so has manipulated the facts to fit his narrative. Not saying mass fisheries etc aren't a problem or that it's a 'clean' industry, but worth having a look around online for further information. 

https://inews.co.uk/culture/film/seaspiracy-fact-check-netflix-documentary-what-about-accuracy-explained-935761
  • Sponsored links:

• MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.
    Japan's environmental standards are world class since the mercury scandal.in the 1950's.

Certainly better than dumping mountains of toxic and nuclear waste in an occupied neighbour like, say, Tibet.
    Pity their attitude towards whaling isn’t!🐋
  • Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    The scene with the slaughetering of whales, that was plenty to stop me ever eating fish again. (I didn't even eat much fish before and haven't eaten much meat at all since last January, except what I believed was ethically sourced Tuna)
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

I know this is another subject but I was actually going to raise the topic of Japanese killing whales too. I always think it's a disgrace. I've seen the slaughter scene only once or twice on TV and it was a long time ago. That alone made me feel sick and sad. Can't those people just eat ordinary fish???!!! It's as if no fish other than whales could satisfy their appetite. Jesus Christ. 
    Is it anti-Japan day or something?!
  • Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

I know this is another subject but I was actually going to raise the topic of Japanese killing whales too. I always think it's a disgrace. I've seen the slaughter scene only once or twice on TV and it was a long time ago. That alone made me feel sick and sad. Can't those people just eat ordinary fish???!!! It's as if no fish other than whales could satisfy their appetite. Jesus Christ. 
    I agree with you completely in principle, Jessie.

The Japanese (like Norwegians) don't want to give up their ancient tradition of whale hunting - it's not only because they regard it as a delicacy, but also as part of their heritage and culture.

Maybe the young generation of Japanese will think differently?

• edited April 2021
    Why stop at Whales when you can also slaughter dolphins as they are your biggest rival to consumption of the local fish population...
  • edited April 2021
    se9addick said:
    Jessie said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dizzle said:
    MrWalker said:
    Absolute non story.

Is it anti-Japan day or something?!
    That's nothing, you should hear my half Japanese best mate's opinions of the country 😡😱🤬.
  • Dizzle said:
    Not  trying to derail the thread but although I thought Seaspiracy raised good points and important questions - I wouldn't take everything it presented as scripture, the director is a hardcore vegan to start so has manipulated the facts to fit his narrative. Not saying mass fisheries etc aren't a problem or that it's a 'clean' industry, but worth having a look around online for further information. 

https://inews.co.uk/culture/film/seaspiracy-fact-check-netflix-documentary-what-about-accuracy-explained-935761
    Oh no doubt. It was the footage of the slaughtering of whales and dolphins, more specifically in the Faroe Islands (I think) footage where they were up very close that disturbed me the most
  • Woke News Extra!
  • we all need heat, light and comfort, the price we all pay is planetary pollution.
     Until huge amounts of money are spent on research into both 'alternative' energy forms and into waste disposal, the consequences for the planet's eco systems will be unpredictable.
    This recent BBC article should give us all the shivers. There are just too many people producing too much waste product for the health of the planet and all the billions of people living on it .. Sewage discharged into rivers 400,000 times in 2020 - BBC News
    I think the current pandemic is a pointer to what can be achieved by science relatively quickly when there is a genuine and real desire for a solution. If money and resources can be poured into a new way of powering our world that is cost effective and efficient then I’m sure that the answer to our needs isn’t as far away as we might think. The brick wall to this though is the established power. The petrochemical giants and the vested interests in the governments of the world. Things have to change. 
    But all the while huge profits can be made, the rich get richer and governments are in league with the giant oil corporations ....... do you really believe things will change?
    Certainly not while the population masses are apathetic or only pay lip service to these issues.