Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sunderland v Charlton | Sat 10 Apr | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Sunderland v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 10th April 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Anthony Backhouse (Cumbria)

This will be the referee's second game in charge of a Charlton game this season, Backhouse took charge of our eventful visit to Shrewsbury Town back in December, which saw a last minute penalty being awarded in favour of the home side. That decision would earn him a statbank score of 5.79

Introduction
Charlton finally return to action after earning a deserved victory at Doncaster Rovers on Good Friday, there was an opportunity to gain some momentum after that victory, yet once again COVID reared its ugly head and ensured that the visit of Lincoln City was pushed back to the end of the season. It means that Nigel Adkins has once again had a full week to work with his players and implement his style on the team, the fixture list has had an evil laugh presenting us with our back to back games, we now travel to the North East where one of our favourite teams are looking to avoid the dreaded Play-Offs.

Does anyone have Patrick Bauer's number?

The Opposition
Name: Sunderland (3rd) | Manager: Lee Johnson
Ground: Stadium of Light
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 0-0 Sunderland

Its no doubt easy for Charlton fans to have a positive feeling towards our North East opponents this weekend, having defeated them twice in the Play-Off Finals they're naturally held in the same asteem as the likes of Carlisle United where we can almost guarantee ourselves promotion if we're facing them in the right setting. Yet Sunderland fans have always taken both Play-Off defeats in good nature and I dont think any Charlton fan would begrudge them promotion at the end of this season.

And its a return to the Championship that looks likely the closer we get to the end of the season, they have two games in hand on leaders Hull and one game in hand on second place Peterborough United, winning both of those games in hand will see them leap frog to the top of the table but unfortunately they also have to win the other games they've got too, a feat that doesnt potentially bode well for the Addicks who themselves are chasing the last Play-Off spot.

But as I stressed last week, the longer a team goes on an impressive run, the closer they get to having said run ended... Of course their next defeat may well come in the Championship but the longer they remain undefeated the harder it effectively gets to keep going - Should the Addicks want to come away with all three points then they must nulify the two dangermen in Charlie Wyke (top scorer with 22-goals this term) and the rejuvinated Aiden McGeady. Frozen out from the team under Phil Parkinson, the ex-Charlton loanee returned to the squad in January and now finds himself with the most assists in the entire Division (twelve), whilst also has four league goals to his name, including the valuable equaliser at Peterborough United on Easter Monday.

If Lee Johnson does earn another victory over the Addicks he'll surely agree now that its better than sex.

Charlton Team News
Easter is always a time for the resurrection so it was a happy surprise to see the return of Ryan Inniss to the squad, so far as I've heard he decided after three days that he preferred it here at Charlton rather than taking his place alongside the big cheese so will naturally be in contention for his next start in Charlton colours, his performance against Doncaster was that of a player who has been very much missed for the majority of the season.

So the big question this week, who slots in alongside him: Akin Famewo missed the trip to Doncaster last week but that was as a precaution and was expected to play against Lincoln City on Tuesday night... On the other hand you have Captain: Jason Pearce who is showing that he shouldnt be written off just yet and is himself in form - Of course Adkins could choose to rest Inniss after a long absense, or even play all three in a 3-5-2 style formation?

Liam Millar may well come back into contention after starting on the bench following his transatlantic trip, whilst we'll have to wait and see if Conor Washington is fit to be involved, rumours suggest he's either out for the season or was just absent for the Easter period.

Amos
Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - Pearce - Maatsen
Forster-Caskey - Pratley - Gilbey
Stockley - Jaiyesimi

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Oshilaja - Purrington - Watson - Shinnie - Aneke - Millar

Prediction
Ideally 74-points is the magic target that we need to reach, in simple terms it means that we need to find another fifteen points (five wins) from the remaining eight games; Sunderland are on a drive towards promotion so defeat at the Stadium of Light wouldnt be the end of the world but with Ipswich also approaching its a period were we ideally want to come away with something at the very least. Whatever happens it looks like its a situation that is still in our hands, given the fact that our rivals still have to play each other themselves.

Comments

• Great preview as usual FA. 
    This is usually one of my favourite away days. 
    Done Sunderland away about 8 or 9 times and always had a good day out.
    F##k you corona virus. 
    Under normal circumstances I would say a draw would be a good result but realistically I think we need a win if we are to make the playoffs. 
    Fingers and everything else crossed for three points. 
    2.1 the mighty Addicks. 
  • would take a point now and keep the unbeaten run going, defeat won't be the end of the world but will make things that bit harder....

1-1 Stockley
  • 1-1 draw, a good showing here and not losing could go a long way for both teams. More likely to lose but going to try and be optimistic here COYR
  • I expect a Dull 0-0...or a  3-0 win to Charlton or a 1-2 loss . Definitely a result of some sort in favour of one of the teams, possibly both.
  • You've gone all defensive @ForeverAddickted ((:>) .. I reckon pretty much unchanged from last weekend..
    we'd better watch out for young Aiden McG .. such a pity that when Bowyer was able to sign 'his favourite player' he had no idea where and how to play him to the best effect ..

ANYWAY .. this is THE game so far this season .. Sunderland are in great form we are in very very good form .. unfortunately this has 'draw' written all over it .. pity as we really need the three points .. they usually win at their place we ALWAYS win at Wembley lol .. Johnson has got them playing a high tempo and boisterous game, for that read a dirty and uncompromising game, we'll need to be as merciless and right at it .. come on youse ADDICKSAAAAAAAA  

Sunderland 1 v CAFC 1
  • edited April 2021
    You've gone all defensive @ForeverAddickted ((:>) .. I reckon pretty much unchanged from last weekend..
    we'd better watch out for young Aiden McG .. such a pity that when Bowyer was able to sign 'his favourite player' he had no idea where and how to play him to the best effect ..

ANYWAY .. this is THE game so far this season .. Sunderland are in great form we are in very very good form .. unfortunately this has 'draw' written all over it .. pity as we really need the three points .. they usually win at their place we ALWAYS win at Wembley lol .. Johnson has got them playing a high tempo and boisterous game, for that read a dirty and uncompromising game, we'll need to be as merciless and right at it .. come on youse ADDICKSAAAAAAAA  

Sunderland 1 v CAFC 1
    Yeah it was partly from having Stockley up front on his own last week...

I'm not ashamed to say it either but it was also very much a cowardly line up to avoid having to choose between Famewo and Pearce :D
  • edited April 2021
    Can't see Adkins changing from the 4231 personally. It's a pretty adaptable formation, can play Watson and Pratley as 2 DMs (god forbid) and it's imminently more solid already. 

Tough call for him on Pearce Vs Famewo. Can't say Pearce deserves to be dropped on current form.
  • You've gone all defensive @ForeverAddickted ((:>) .. I reckon pretty much unchanged from last weekend..

Sunderland 1 v CAFC 1
    Yeah it was partly from having Stockley up front on his own last week...

I'm not ashamed to say it either but it was also very much a cowardly line up to avoid having to choose between Famewo and Pearce :D
    always wise to be a little bit cautious lol 
  • Agree that a strong performance is key. If Sunderland were to beat us then at least make them earn it! 

Would like to Innis to clothesline McGeady as I found him irritating and pants when he was here! 

More realistically, this could be a decent game and one we can very much win.

1-0 Charlton with Aneke to score!
  • edited April 2021
    1-1 Schwartz

We line up unchanged from the last game. A few sub changes (that I'd like to see)

Millar has been blowing hot and cold, so gets a rest whilst Washington's injury continues to keep him in the stands, allowing Schwartz onto the bench. 

Maybe one of the kids might also get a bench spot? Watson out for Morgan for me.

Also created on a spreadsheet... just cos...

• Sponsored links:

• I think we will beat them. 
  • Seeing as the Black Cats have not lost in 16 & have scored in 23 consecutive matches I don't see us winning this one 1-0. 

Unfortunately it's also not at Wembley & I feel on their patch they will be too strong for us.

2-0 & at least Super Clive will be happy. 
  • Anyone think that Purrington will play and Maatsen will be out on the right  again?

Would also like to see Schwartz getting a run out.

Maybe this:

AMB
    Matthews   Innis   Famewo    Purrington
    Maatsen     Forster Caskey    Pratley    DJ
    Chuks        Ronnie

• edited April 2021
    I’d go with Watson over Pratley for this one. I thought he looked good in the last few games he played, and I suspect Pratley would be targeted by Sunderland/Johnson, as he’s prone to retaliate.

Sunderland might just be feeling the pressure, as they’re desperate to avoid the plays-offs and what their fans may feel is their almost certain destiny of losing to us again at Wembley. 
    Although a win would be great for us it’s arguably our sternest remaining test, so we won’t be banking on getting the three points here, hence less pressure. 
    Very difficult to predict, but I’ll go with a 1-1 draw. 
  • I think there will be goals in this one. 3-2 either way. If it's to us then playoffs looking likely as positive Nige must be having an effect
  • JamesSeed said:
    I’d go with Watson over Pratley for this one. I thought he looked good in the last few games he played, and I suspect Pratley would be targeted by Sunderland/Johnson, as he’s prone to retaliate.

Sunderland might just be feeling the pressure, as they’re desperate to avoid the plays-offs and what their fans may feel is their almost certain destiny of losing to us again at Wembley. 
    Although a win would be great for us it’s arguably our sternest remaining test, so we won’t be banking on getting the three points here, hence less pressure. 
    Prone to retaliate? He's retaliated once! 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    JamesSeed said:

Prone to retaliate? He's retaliated once! 
    Ok, prone to rushes of blood to the head, which can sometimes be brought on by being wound up. I don’t necessarily mean an off the ball type thing. 
  • Superb preview and liked your team.

This will be a key test. I'm not yet ready to to join the Mr. Adkin's inspired festival of positivity after one scrappy 1-0 win against a very limp Doncaster Rovers side when we created very little and nearly conceded a few.

Mr.  Adkins faces the same problems as Lee Bowyer faced, except he may have the luxury of Innis and Famewo returning. That could be crucial as they looked very solid together at the start of the season. We have been awful at the back while they were both injured and conceded some real howlers which would have shamed a half decent Under 11s side. 

Maybe, if we can keep it tight at the back we have some good offensive players that could sneak us something. I would like to see Chuks start in preference to Stockley. Please not Watson with his precision two yard passes and tackle avoidance measures. I would rather see Pratley winding up McGeady from the start- they both have the same top speed of about 7mph so it would be like watching a slow motion martial arts duel from that Crouching Tiger movie. 

If we return from Sunderland with three more points, given their form, plus the nailed-on certainty that McGready will score at least one, I might just apply to join the positivity club.

• edited April 2021
    Sunderland 1 - CAFC 0
  • Our hex over the Black Cats to continue...

0-1  steal for the Addicks
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a bad team FA, but what has happened to Gunter, I must admit Matthews did not impress me last week
  • I think we'll get slaughtered ....

3-0 Sunderland

Will be watching, so hope I'm wrong!

Sunderland 1 v CAFC 1
    That system would be more attacking than we played last week, as long as JFC and Gilbey had the license to get forward in support. 
  • Big big game really. Win this and I think we can push on with confidence. Draw not the end of the world. If we get best I think it could be a bridge too far but I keep believing. Chucks and Stocks up top to really cause them problems.
  • i fancy us to nick this 1 nil.
  • Think we will win 0-2. Then we will see our bitches Sunderland back at Wembley for another predictable win. 
  • Tough one this, think we need Famewo AND Inniss at the back, Sunderland have pace and are direct, things that Pearce struggles with.
  • They are going to tear us a new one.
  • edited April 2021
    I honestly think that Inniss is a match for Wyke. Where I worry is our defensive midfield against the creative players of Sunderland. They have class and move the ball well, our ageing defensive midfield are prone to letting decent players play round them and I fear for a few decent shots from outside the box because we weren’t quick enough to close them down. 

Nothing to suggest that either team will walk away with it. They looked a little shaky against a decent Peterboro side. Adkins will have definitely watched that game and seen some weaknesses.

Where I worry about us a little (in an offensive capacity) is whether the team last week has the speed and creativity to break down an excellent league one defence. In my opinion, we need a big game from our out of form Canadian winger to really stretch them and make it uncomfortable for them. This then needs to be backed up by Gilbey and Forster-Caskey meaning that Stockley doesn’t find himself isolated.

The first goal is huge.