Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southend United - Relegation Thread

After 85minutes played, Southend are 0 -  2 down at home to Carlisle. Should it remain that way then they will be five points adrift of safety with relegation out of the league beckoning. 

Comments

• edited April 2021
    I know Southend are not local local but all the same it shocks me that they are looking like dropping out of league football 

brilliant response though Beds. Made me laugh out loud.
  • Had some good away trips down there, loads of teams I would rather see go than them but they have been badly run for years.
  • I'm friends with a Southend fan and he's feeling it.

Trying to give him positives about being in the conference even though there aren't any.

They had a great 3-1 away win against whoever was top of the league at the time not so long ago, but failed to continue the pathway of good results.

It's a shame. A good club with crappy owners.

• Is sad what has gone on over there, if a club gets relegated you always want it to be for reasons on the field rather than those events being overshadowing what is happening off it - Often wondered if having the likes of Anton Ferdinand, Michael Turner and Simon Cox on their books would be a recipe for disaster as although they played for Southend towards the end of their careers, they cant have been on peanut wages?

Are they not supposed to be building a new Stadium?
  • Great away day a few years ago there, but the ground is a turd, as is most of Southend, and their fans always come across as a bit "Bermondsey-On-Sea" to me
  • They had a great plan for a new stadium away from RH.  It was quite distinctive compared to plans of similar level clubs.

Just shows you, there for the grace of God and all that...
  • What a random thread 
  • I’ve seen the plans for the stadium and all the flats around it but it’s been parked yet again.  Shocking owners and a succession of crap appointments too....

doesn’t look good for them sadly 
  • Probably not directly sol Campbell's fault, but he apparently just constantly moaned and always played the victim
  • Sponsored links:

• Always loved an away trip to Southend. I’m sure they’ll be back. 
  • Fortunately for Southend they need to overtake Colchester, who are further down in the form table. 5 points is doable if they go on a run now. Barrow seem to have done a Burton and gone on a terrific run pulling themselves up a few spots
  • More worried about Carlisle getting up. How else we expected to be promoted next season. 
  • Superb away day, can't believe they could be non league. 

They've had some decent strikers down there over the years, Stan Collymore, Brett Angell, Freddy Eastwood and Assombolonga.
  • That Kyle Reid winner there on a Friday night. Great away day.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45304767

Or the mad game 2 seasons ago, when we won 2-1 and 3 players were sent off!
  • The football ladder is brutal, badly run clubs can easily drop out of the league. The National League is full of former league clubs, some quite historic like Notts County, Stockport and Wrexham while others had brief moments of glory, like Yeovil, Barnet and Dagenham

But the bigger clubs do eventually bounce back, the Cowleys brought Lincoln back to L1, while Luton are safe in the Championship

• Odd looking potential stadium, shaped like a dog lead.
    Slightly bottle opener-like.

• Odd looking potential stadium, shaped like a dog lead.
    I honestly read that as dog turd
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:
    Probably not directly sol Campbell's fault, but he apparently just constantly moaned and always played the victim
    FFS doesn't he always. Apparently he can't get a managers job in the premiership because he's black. outrageous !!!
  • Mark Molesley has been sacked, Phil Brown has been brought back in

He always seemed a strange choice in the first place coming from Weymouth, wasnt like he'd even achieved anything in the Conference yet

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56687470
  • Southend United and Grimsby Town are challenging their relegation from League Two with the Football League.

The two clubs claim their demotion is "unfair" in the current circumstances, given there is no relegation from the National League this season.

They have submitted a proposal which is set to be discussed by the EFL.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57022942

• Not sure why but this really annoys me for some reason. Everyone knows the rules when they start the season, there's 46 games to play and the table never lies at the end of the season. You end up where you deserve based on all those games. If you end up finishing 1st then congratulations your the best team in the league, if you end up bottom then, for whatever reason, you've been the worst. Accept it with a bit of good grace and start planning to be straight back up next season.

I somehow doubt they'd be saying the same if they were in the promotion spots, or that they'd be supporting other owners if it was two other clubs arguing that they shouldn't be relegated. It was decided in February there'd be no relegation from the National League so if these guys felt so strongly about it they should have argued the case back then, not just because it's impacted them now 3 months down the line.

I know it would never happen, but I'd have more respect for the owners if they were upfront and said they just wanted to avoid relegation at all costs as opposed to coming up with the pretence that it's 'unfair'. Where do you stop with that? Replaying games whenever there's a dodgy referee decision? How about when there's a dodgy bobble on the pitch or when your kicking against the wind first half?

Crazy.

• Not sure why but this really annoys me for some reason. Everyone knows the rules when they start the season, there's 46 games to play and the table never lies at the end of the season. You end up where you deserve based on all those games. If you end up finishing 1st then congratulations your the best team in the league, if you end up bottom then, for whatever reason, you've been the worst. Accept it with a bit of good grace and start planning to be straight back up next season.

I somehow doubt they'd be saying the same if they were in the promotion spots, or that they'd be supporting other owners if it was two other clubs arguing that they shouldn't be relegated. It was decided in February there'd be no relegation from the National League so if these guys felt so strongly about it they should have argued the case back then, not just because it's impacted them now 3 months down the line.

I know it would never happen, but I'd have more respect for the owners if they were upfront and said they just wanted to avoid relegation at all costs as opposed to coming up with the pretence that it's 'unfair'. Where do you stop with that? Replaying games whenever there's a dodgy referee decision? How about when there's a dodgy bobble on the pitch or when your kicking against the wind first half?

Crazy.

I agree with this in general, but for me there are caveats to the general rule. Like when a team, say West Ham, cheats the league by fielding ineligible players for a whole season, they should be relegated in the place of one of the lower teams (In the case I'm thinking of Sheffield United). I don't think this applies in Southend's case though. 
  • They were in league one a year ago. Now they're in the conference.

Dark times for them, but they will be back.

Their owners are standard general assholes anyway who have made a mess of things. 

The fans are understandably devastated.
  • There's a bloke I work with, goes home and away; first team, reserves, development squad. He's saying he's not going after this season, it's that depressing. That's the equivalent of losing Seb through apathy.

I know another Shrimper who's finally got his wish. For several years he's been hoping for relegation from the league to release him from the obligation of attending. 

Must be so bad.
  • Proper club Southend. In laws are Shrimps and have watched 3/4 games this season, my lord the quality was awful. I’ll never ever complain about Charlton again
  • Stig said:
    There's a bloke I work with, goes home and away; first team, reserves, development squad. He's saying he's not going after this season, it's that depressing. That's the equivalent of losing Seb through apathy.

I know another Shrimper who's finally got his wish. For several years he's been hoping for relegation from the league to release him from the obligation of attending. 

Must be so bad.
    If anything sums up the up's and down's of football it's the fact that last time Southend fans  attended a game they were a League One club. Fast forward just over a year and there now going to be a National League team. I know they've had issues behind the scenes for a while but still crazy to think how fast clubs can plummet.

Reminded me a bit of Yeovil Town, still remember watching them beat Brentford in the play off final a few years ago to get in the championship. Fast forward a few years and Yeovil are in the National League and Brentford have just moved into a new stadium and could potentially be promoted to the Premier League in a few weeks time.