Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• And I was there.
  • Said to the wife this morning do you know what today means for some Charlton fans,glad to see ADDICTED remembered.

Thats the problem with history its only the old ones that remember.
  • Pretty iconic those pictures 
  • Said to the wife this morning do you know what today means for some Charlton fans,glad to see ADDICTED remembered.

Thats the problem with history its only the old ones that remember.
    Not so much of the old, Dutchy.
  • So many are grateful to so few. 
  • I was there clearing the weeds and brambles on the East Terrace with @LargeAddick
  • Anyone else remember the big boom from the bonfire at one point? It sounded like an old petrol can had found it’s way into the heap. Steve Gritt and Lennie were both down there IIRC.
  • Big boom was caused by big Duncan helping fire along with petrol from a can.
  • Sponsored links:

• Take a bow, all those that were there that day and the town hall, Valley Party, all of you are why Thomas had a club to buy, in yet again tough times. 
  • I had to work that morning. By the time I got to The Valley, there were just a few fans wandering around and taking it all in.
    Well done all involved. 
  • I was there. Didnt join in the kickaround though. Too many useful sub-teens out there:-)

But blimey, I just had  a vague warm feeling that we were coming home. Who knew then, where the next 13 months would take us.
  • To this day I dont know why I wasn’t there. 
  • I was there with my dad and brother.
  • My brother and me were there that day. Have some great photos in my collection of the day. 
  • Yes was there. It was a misty morning and seeing someone walking behind you down Coxmount Road with a pick axe in hand was a little disconcerting.

Went with a mate who invited me back to his for Sunday roast. Cheers Derek! 
  • Was it really 32 years ago?

I was there and remember going to the Waterman’s after for a few beers. 

• Was amazing to think no one got hurt when we worked on the old main stand, seats being ripped out and just thrown down the stand.

Great occasion.
  • I was there on the East Terrace trying to dig out the roots of a buddleia.

Failed.

It was back a year later.

But we were back three years later
  • Sponsored links:

• Great day, great effort from all those who attended.
  • I was there and was all excited when the ‘Today” newspaper photographer asked if he could take a pic of me , mate and the late great Peter Loveridge having a kick about down at the Jimmy South Stand , bought the paper the next day all excited and nope wasn’t in it .
  • 32 years ago - god I feel old. Was on the East Terrace weeding.
  • Weirdly, I was there the week before with my mate looking for slow worms under the debris on the pitch (found loads of them) 🤣
  • Seems unreal. I was there with my shovel. Had been living in Norwich for less than a year and was very home sick at the time. It would never be allowed these days in view of health and safety. Great to see the photos as no one had camera phones back then. Very proud of our history. Always be part of this history and makes supporting Charlton more unique and special.

• Thanks for that Seth and to everyone else for their memories.  Best little club in the world.?

No question.

• Seth’s 2000 right up there with some of our made up away followings of years gone by
    before the official numbers stopped the think of a number and double it theory fans used to have .
  • edited April 2021
    Seth’s 2000 right up there with some of our made up away followings of years gone by
    before the official numbers stopped the think of a number and double it theory fans used to have .
    I thought the same but didn't want to say.
    I clearly recall a couple of hundred at most, although with the possible comings and goings of people, maybe a maximum of 300 there over the course of the morning, although at different times.
    Zero chance there were anywhere near 2000 there.
  • Have just realised that my son, who was born on boxing day that year, was probably already in existence and about the size of a frozen pea on April 2nd. If only my wife had joined me on the East Terrace that day he could technically claim to have been there. But she didn't! Oh well.

I was able to get him in to the Portsmouth game (Jimmy Seed) on my lap, as a two year old, thanks to a duplicate ticket via Chris Parkes, so he has got that one to shout about though.

We have both had our same seats in the East Stand since it was built - on what was that cleared terrace of course.

All good 'family club' stuff.

I would reckon there were 200-300 people there in the late morning. We had a fair chunk of terrace to ourselves.