Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

U21 Euro's

First 2 matches just started.

Slightly odd format in that because the main Euro's were moved to this summer (when the U21 Euro's were supposed to be) they've now changed things around. The group stage is taking place this week and the quarters/semi/final will be end of May/first week of June.

England's first game is tomorrow v Switzerland. Portugal and Croatia are the other sides in our group.

Comments

• edited March 2021
    England squad:

Goalkeepers: Josef Bursik (Stoke City), Josh Griffiths (Cheltenham Town, loan from West Bromwich Albion), Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield United)

Defenders: Max Aarons (Norwich City), Ben Godfrey (Everton), Marc Guehi (Swansea City, loan from Chelsea), Lloyd Kelly (AFC Bournemouth), Ryan Sessegnon (Hoffenheim, loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Steven Sessegnon (Bristol City, loan from Fulham), Japhet Tanganga (Tottenham Hotspur), Ben Wilmot (Watford)

Midfielders: Tom Davies (Everton), Ebere Eze (Crystal Palace), Conor Gallagher (West Bromwich Albion, loan from Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Dwight McNeil (Burnley), Oliver Skipp (Norwich City, loan from Tottenham Hotspur)

Attackers: Rhian Brewster (Sheffield United), Mason Greenwood (Manchester United), Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea), Noni Madueke (PSV Eindhoven), Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal), Emile Smith Rowe (Arsenal)

Fuck knows how Brewster got in, 23 appearances for Sheff Utd this season, 0 goals. 9 U21 caps, 0 goals.

Obviously we have players like James, Foden, Bellingham, Mount, Saka and Rice who could all play in this but are in the seniors.
  • England squad:

Goalkeepers: Josef Bursik (Stoke City), Josh Griffiths (Cheltenham Town, loan from West Bromwich Albion), Aaron Ramsdale (Sheffield United)

Defenders: Max Aarons (Norwich City), Ben Godfrey (Everton), Marc Guehi (Swansea City, loan from Chelsea), Lloyd Kelly (AFC Bournemouth), Ryan Sessegnon (Hoffenheim, loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Steven Sessegnon (Bristol City, loan from Fulham), Japhet Tanganga (Tottenham Hotspur), Ben Wilmot (Watford)

Midfielders: Tom Davies (Everton), Ebere Eze (Crystal Palace), Conor Gallagher (West Bromwich Albion, loan from Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Dwight McNeil (Burnley), Oliver Skipp (Norwich City, loan from Tottenham Hotspur)

Attackers: Rhian Brewster (Sheffield United), Mason Greenwood (Manchester United), Callum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea), Noni Madueke (PSV Eindhoven), Eddie Nketiah (Arsenal), Emile Smith Rowe (Arsenal)

Fuck knows how Brewster got in, 23 appearances for Sheff Utd this season, 0 goals. 9 U21 caps, 0 goals.
    Olly did a Fergie by withdrawing Greenwood from England squad, with Todd Cantwell called up instead

I agree Brewster shouldn't be there

The classification of players is confusing these days, how is a Smith Rowe more of an attacker than Eze or McNeil?
  • The French squad is ridiculous. Players like Konate, Kounde, Camavinga, Aouar, Edouard. 

Leeds' keeper Meslier is in the squad and isn't even their first choice.
  • Italy finish with 9 men but draw 1-1 with the Czechs.

Spain cruise to a 3-0 win against Slovenia.
  • Italy finish with 9 men but draw 1-1 with the Czechs.

Spain cruise to a 3-0 win against Slovenia.
    The Italy versus Czech Republic came was really good. I’m hoping to watch a fair few of these
  • Reminder than England v Switzerland is on @ 2pm today, Sky Sports
  • Surprised that Jones doesn't get a start. Especially as he's been playing pretty regularly for Liverpool and then we have Skipp starting who is playing in the Championship
  • Decent save from Ramsdale after we fucked up trying to play it out from the back
  • Sponsored links:

• England playing okay, need to take the chances from set pieces. No shots on target in anger from either side really. 
  • Another England cock up nearly leads to a goal... This is familiar. 
  • I take it Bothroyd doesn’t get them working on crosses. Christ, McNeil has had about 4 opportunities this half to get a decent ball in and fucked it every time.
  • I take it Bothroyd doesn’t get them working on crosses. Christ, McNeil has had about 4 opportunities this half to get a decent ball in and fucked it every time.
    I'd assume that's his club's issue rather than Aidy Boothroyd's
  • Surprised that Jones doesn't get a start. Especially as he's been playing pretty regularly for Liverpool and then we have Skipp starting who is playing in the Championship
    Skipp is better than Jones. Unbelievable talent.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I take it Bothroyd doesn’t get them working on crosses. Christ, McNeil has had about 4 opportunities this half to get a decent ball in and fucked it every time.
    I'd assume that's his club's issue rather than Aidy Boothroyd's
    I wouldn’t put it past Bothroyd to sap any club form out of these players. How the blokes still got this gig I’ll never know.
    Fair point!
  • 1-0 Switzerland
  • Thought that was rubbish.
  • Sponsored links:

• "On 21 December 2013, Boothroyd was sacked by Northampton after a 4–1 defeat by Wycombe. The club were bottom of league two"

Within months he was given the U20s manager job and from there the U21s. Bloke must have friends in high places at the FA.
    I do remember there was alot of hype when he was at Watford, since then he has literally done nothing and had several chances within the English setup which i agree do not feel justified. 

Completely agree with that last bit. 
  • edited March 2021
    There was quite a bit of talent out there for England and it takes a fair bit to make them look so poor. When he took McNeil off (which was correct as he couldn't cross for toffee) he also took off England's most dangerous player (Davies) who was driving at them and trying to make things happen. Aarons could neither beat his man nor cross so why keep him on?
  • That young kid from PSV should of started and the Eze , absolutely shithousery tactics 
  • The issue is when in comes to Managers for our National Teams the selection process is operated by the dinosaurs at the FA, so his 1998 coaching manual is high tech stuff to them ! Wait until we see the team Southgate picks later in the year !
  • AndyG said:
    The issue is when in comes to Managers for our National Teams the selection process is operated by the dinosaurs at the FA, so his 1998 coaching manual is high tech stuff to them ! Wait until we see the team Southgate picks later in the year !
    The problem with the FA has always been that these knobheads select themselves. When a manager fails sufficiently, he is sacked, but they have no accountability. The simple fact is, if they did a poll on this site, or any site for that matter, we would make better appointments than they do.  
  • Well, that was a very poor performance. How does an FA set-up manage to get such a group of talented youngsters to play quite so badly? What did we create? One saved shot from a free kick.  That was it wasn't it.
    Build-up play, if you could call it that, was so slow and predictable a team of snails could have progressed up the pitch more quickly.
  • After our last tournament showing, I still can’t wrap my head around the fact that Boothroyd’s still in charge.

in his post-match interview, he said he wasn’t concerned. Anybody who watched that will be concerned and we’ve got Portugal up next.

I used to enjoy watching the U21s, not any more.