Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

John Victor King - RIP

Not a fan I knew but perhaps some other lifers did.

A few weeks ago the museum heard from a local solicitor informing us that a fan who had recently died had left his programme and other CAFC collection to us.

From speaking to his family and reading the oration from his funeral we found out that John was born on 19th July 1954 in Woolwich.

He left school at 16 and joined Lloyds Bank as a clerk for 26 years, mainly in Sidcup and then at Gravesend. He was able to retire in 1996 when he was 42.

John remained single, never marrying. His great love was football, firstly watching Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park with the immediate family and an aunt but it wasn’t long before John saw the light and switched to Charlton Athletic and supported them for most of his life.

For many years he was a regular supporter at all home games at the Valley and often went to away matches by coach with the supporters’ club. On one occasion, he left work early around 4pm to get a flight to Liverpool to see Charlton play a mid-week game away to Tranmere Rovers—arriving just in time for the second half!

In more recent years he had been an armchair supporter, but collected as many match programmes—both home and away—as he could.

Today @charltonnick picked up John's bequest.

Unfortunately John's family didn't have a suitable photograph they could let us have.

RIP Fellow Addick

Comments

• Not a fan I knew but perhaps some other lifers did.

A few weeks ago the museum heard from a local solicitor informing us that a fan who had recently died had left his programme and other CAFC collection to us.

From speaking to his family and reading the oration from his funeral we found out that John was born on 19th July 1954 in Woolwich.

He left school at 16 and joined Lloyds Bank as a clerk for 26 years, mainly in Sidcup and then at Gravesend. He was able to retire in 1996 when he was 42.

John remained single, never marrying. His great love was football, firstly watching Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park with the immediate family and an aunt but it wasn’t long before John saw the light and switched to Charlton Athletic and supported them for most of his life.

For many years he was a regular supporter at all home games at the Valley and often went to away matches by coach with the supporters’ club. On one occasion, he left work early around 4pm to get a flight to Liverpool to see Charlton play a mid-week game away to Tranmere Rovers—arriving just in time for the second half!

In more recent years he had been an armchair supporter, but collected as many match programmes—both home and away—as he could.

Unfortunately John's family didn't have a suitable photograph they could let us have.

RIP Fellow Addick

RIP - lovely that he thought to leave his treasured Charlton possessions to the museum 

What season is that Arsenal away programme ?

I note no roof on the North Bank
  • Seems John was a smoker as these pennants have yellowed a bit.  1960s/early 70s by the looks of the designs
  • Anyone want a 1977 Bolton away programme. We might have a spare

• RIP John.
  • RIP John ❤️

RIP Fellow Addick

RIP - lovely that he thought to leave his treasured Charlton possessions to the museum 

It says the game was on 19th November 1949.
  • RIP John. 
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP.....John.....RIP.......and thanks for your gift old son.

RIP Fellow Addick

It says the game was on 19th November 1949.
    Good spot - I didn’t zoom in enough !!
  • An oddity here from John's collection.

A pirate (on right) programme alongside the official issue from 1970

So much of a rip off the player profiles are famous stars, none of whom played for either club.

The pirate is much rarer and so more valuable than the official programme.

• An oddity here from John's collection.

A pirate (on right) programme alongside the official issue from 1970

So much of a rip off the player profiles are famous stars, none of whom played for either club.

The pirate is much rarer and so more valuable than the official programme.

Pirate programmes !!!

Never heard of this Henry - can you explain please ?
  • edited March 2021
    Chancers would produce their own programmes for big games.

Invariably, they were poor quality but in big crowds at big games buyers might not realise they weren't the real thing until too late.

It's one reason you see "official" on programmes.

We've got pirate cup final programmes but the most recent were aware of is from the Sheffield United quarter final in 2012.
  • I never knew that about pirate programmes. Great collection by the way. RIP John. 
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP John. How did he get the programmes home in such good condition,great dedication and love for the club. 
  • Chancers would produce their own programmes for big games.

Invariably, they were poor quality but in big crowds at big games buyers might not realise they weren't the real thing until too late.

It's one reason you see "official" on programmes.

We've got pirate cup final programmes but the most recent were aware of is from the Sheffield United quarter final in 2012.
    As recent as 2012 !!!

In fairness - if you put your mind to to it, and was prepared to take the risk, if you printed some programmes, and got far enough from the ground to sucker away fans, then you might get a few quid

But seems a lot of effort for minimal returns !!!

But - maybe I’m well wrong, and it makes financial sense 
  • Pirate programmes were produced for big matches particularly in the period after WW2 until the 70's. Evening games would be a target and by the time people realised they had been sold a dud , Del Boy and Rodders would be on their heels back to Peckham
  • Pretty sure there was a pirate programme produced for our first league game in 1921 v Exeter.

• RIP. What a fine gift to the museum

• 1930 Charlton v West Brom programme
  • I never knew John of course, but sad to read of the death of a man with such a passion for CAFC .. R I P 
  • RIP John.
    On the subjects of pirate programmes 
    I had pirates for all our 1940’s cup finals and semis. I think one of the finals I had four different pirates. I sold them all eventually on e bay.