Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your England Squad For This Summer (vs Romania page 27)

Comments

• It’s that dreaded time of year when every English players picks up and injury. Henderson out for 10 weeks. Justin ruled out and Barnes now.

Yep. You just know Kane is going to roll is ankle again soon. 
    That is the fear. 

Personally, I would not swap Sterling and Kane for any two attacking players in world football at the moment. If we can these two on form at the euros. Then it is going to be a brilliant summer.
    Completely agree with this, we have such an exciting team this year but first two on the team sheet for me. Saka/ Foden both great talents but hard to fit them in the starting line up, that is saying something, good to have Stones getting games and in good form. Sort the midfield balance out and we have a great chance.
    Yeah I agree on Saka, difficult to get him in to start but certainly a great option from the bench. Although, Foden has to start for me, in terms of talent I would put him above Mount, Maddison and Grealish. 
  • This summer may come to early but won’t be long until Bellingham comes into the reckoning.
    Might be tempted to take him, there have only been four Bundesliga games (two of them due to injury) that he's not been involved in - Would certainly call him up for the World Cup Qualifiers and see how he does
  • It’s that dreaded time of year when every English players picks up and injury. Henderson out for 10 weeks. Justin ruled out and Barnes now.

Yep. You just know Kane is going to roll is ankle again soon. 
    That is the fear. 

Personally, I would not swap Sterling and Kane for any two attacking players in world football at the moment. If we can these two on form at the euros. Then it is going to be a brilliant summer.
    Completely agree with this, we have such an exciting team this year but first two on the team sheet for me. Saka/ Foden both great talents but hard to fit them in the starting line up, that is saying something, good to have Stones getting games and in good form. Sort the midfield balance out and we have a great chance.
    Yeah I agree on Saka, difficult to get him in to start but certainly a great option from the bench. Although, Foden has to start for me, in terms of talent I would put him above Mount, Maddison and Grealish. 
    I personally feel Foden is our greatest talent and will be the stand out player for England, its just where we fit him in. I wouldn't drop Mount right now as i feel he deserves his spot, same with Grealish really, i can see Foden being used as an impact sub but i would also agree we should try to fit him in whether on the wing/CM/CAM he can play anywhere really. It does frustrate me that City rotate everyone so much bar the select few as he should be playing every week, not really an age where he needs as much rest or bedding in as he has been used like that the last 2/3 seasons.
  • The front 3/4/5 is all dependant on whether Southgate wants to persist with 5 at the back and using wing backs.

With a back 4 I think we can have a front 3 of Kane, Sterling and Foden, with Mount slotting back in a central midfield 3 with Henderson and Rice. However, if Southgate plays 5 at the back with wing backs then he either drops Foden, or has to drop one of Henderson or Rice in my opinion to fit Foden and Mount both in.
  • edited March 2021
    Foden has to play - we have a player who could be the best in the world in 3-4 years. And he is one of the best players in arguably the best club side in the world on current form.

Stones and Maguire coming back into form is the big news story for me. That’s massive for us.

I keep flip flopping on line ups

Pope / Pickford
    TAA / James / Trippier
    Chilwell / Shaw
    Stones
    Maguire

Henderson
    Grealish
    Foden

Kane
    Sterling
    Sancho

Then throw likes of Saka, Rice, Mount, Hudson Odoi, Rashford, DCL in.......

Never mind Bowyer, if this lot flop, it’s got to be goodnight Southgate.
  • The problem is Southgate loves Pickford, Walker and Mount, and 5 at the back. So I can see him playing:

Pickford

Trippier
    Walker
    Stones
    Maguire
    Chilwell

Henderson
    Rice
    Mount

Sterling
    Kane

Way too defensive IMO.

• I can’t see him playing 5 at the back.

Out strength is in our attacking areas. He must realise that by now.

His number one priority should be working on a system that gets Grealish, Foden, Kane and Sterling all on the same pitch. 
  • edited March 2021
    Pickford
    James - Stones - Maguire - Chilwell
    Rice - Mount
    Grealish - Foden - Sterling
    Kane

I dont include Henderson purely because he's out for 12-weeks (?)

Would be tempted even to put Bellingham instead of Mount
  • Pickford
    Rice - Mount
    Kane

Works for me! Can't see Southgate ignoring Sancho's form though, nor Rashford. So could see either of them replacing Grealish maybe?
  • edited March 2021
    If we play 4 at the back, you need your best defensive players. At RB that has to be Wan Bissaka. Nothing gets past him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ross said:
    Pickford
    Rice - Mount
    Kane

Works for me! Can't see Southgate ignoring Sancho's form though, nor Rashford. So could see either of them replacing Grealish maybe?
    Depending on the opposition, switch Mount out for Sancho or Rashford go with the below against lesser opponents:

Pickford
    Grealish - Rice - Foden
    Sancho - Kane - Sterling
  • Here's my controversial line up

3-4-3

Pope

AWB - MAGUIRE - STONES

TRENT - RICE - FODEN - SAKA

STERLING - KANE - GREALISH

Lets have a proper go!

• Is henderson out? I know he is injured but would also be one of the first names if fit...

I'd go : 

Pope, i dont see Pickford being dropped but personally i feel he is the better keeper. Pickford might be better with the ball at his feet though and the last world cup might keep Pickford in for now.
    Reece James - I know TAA is one of the best, but hasn't done it for england, if i was going a bit more defensive i would put Wan-Bissaka in
    Stones/ Maguire - Probably wouldn't have considered Stones a year ago, but form alone and he has always been up there on his day. 
    Chilwell> Shaw for me

Henderson / Mount  - In the middle, obviously Henderson just sits but mount can go forward 

Sterling/ Foden/ Grealish

Kane

Granted all the above is today, if Henderson cant make it then Rice. Hard to leave out Sancho but this would be my 11. or Grealish on the bench and put Sancho in and switch Sterling to the left.
  • If you watch Sterling week in week out I'd really struggle to justify him a place currently. 

Sancho, Saka, Rashford on form probably all doing better than him currently. 
  • edited March 2021
    Foden over Sancho
    Grealish over Sancho
    Sterling over Sancho
    Mount over Sancho
    Rashford over Sancho
    Maddison over Sancho

All 6 in my opinion have been much more consistent.

Sancho has done bugger all in an England shirt and feel he's behind the top 5 and just ahead of Maddison when it comes to Southgate.
  • Am I the only one who thinks Mount is overrated? I don’t really see what the fuss is about. Would have grealish, sancho, foden and Maddison all well ahead of him.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    supaclive said:
    Foden over Sancho
    Grealish over Sancho
    Sterling over Sancho
    Mount over Sancho
    Rashford over Sancho
    Maddison over Sancho

All 6 in my opinion have been much more consistent.

Sancho has done bugger all in an England shirt and feel he's behind the top 5 and just ahead of Maddison when it comes to Southgate.
    I mean he's started well for Bolton but is hardly pulling up trees.
    I think he means James Maddison...
  • My 11 would be...

Pope

James
    Stones
    Maguire
    Shaw

Rice
    Henderson
    Foden

Grealish
    Kane
    Sterling

in the squad...

Pickford
    Henderson
    TAA
    Chillwell
    Dier
    Konsa
    Mount
    Phillips
    Maddison
    Rashford
    Calvert-Lewin
    Barnes
  • Sponsored links:

• Laddick01 said:
    The fact Tuchel has come in and Mount is still getting considerable minutes tells you a lot.

Consistent and a decent footballer. We could do worse.
    Definitely needs to be our ball player in the middle of the park with Rice/Henderson. 
  • Am I the only one who thinks Mount is overrated? I don’t really see what the fuss is about. Would have grealish, sancho, foden and Maddison all well ahead of him.
    I respectfully disagree, the past two seasons he has been Chelseas stand out player. Even for England he has impressed and links up well with Grealish since he has come into the side. all about opinions but i would find it hard to drop him, that being said i am sure we can make the same case for a few its a tough choice
    Foden
    Sancho
    Saka
    it's all down the the system, feels like we have all different types of players with lots of talent. Hope we can make a good go of it..
  • I wonder where Southgate thinks Curtis Jones is on the list. He’s playing regularly for Liverpool in a middle 3.
  • I wonder where Southgate thinks Curtis Jones is on the list. He’s playing regularly for Liverpool in a middle 3.
    Behind Mason Mount based on tonight's Liverpool v Chelsea game!
  • I don’t think Jones is a bad player, but I’m yet to see anything spectacular from him.

As for Mount he’s developing so well. Think his ceiling is slightly lower than Foden’s but he’s really coming into his own now.
  • I feel a bit of a fool as in October 19 I had told my Chelsea mate that Gallagher was a better player than Mount. Mount has been outstanding this season. Never seem him have a bad game.
  • supaclive said:
    I wonder where Southgate thinks Curtis Jones is on the list. He’s playing regularly for Liverpool in a middle 3.
    Yes Mount is a shoe in, but who do we have central apart from Mount Rice and Henderson. I wouldn’t play Foden or Grealish there personally. So you have the likes of Jones, Bellingham...
  • supaclive said:
    I wonder where Southgate thinks Curtis Jones is on the list. He’s playing regularly for Liverpool in a middle 3.
    Yes Mount is a shoe in, but who do we have central apart from Mount Rice and Henderson. I wouldn’t play Foden or Grealish there personally. So you have the likes of Jones, Bellingham...
    Dier, Phillips

That’s about it
  • Ross said:
    supaclive said:
    Dier, Phillips

That’s about it
    I’d rather Bellingham over both. Started 18 games for Dortmund this season. Jones has appeared in 30 of Liverpool’s.