Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Who is the next 'best player in the world'?

Been Messi and Ronaldo for so long it feels weird that it won't be them, but who do you think will replace them as the best in the world?

Felt like it might be Neymar for so long but I think the PSG move messed that up.

Lewandowski is maybe the best right now in my opinion, but he's 32 now.

Mbappe?  
Haaland?

Or someone a bit older who might step up a level reasonably late in their career, like Modric or Zidane did?

Comments

• Haaland and Foden
  • Mbappe, Haaland, Foden or Felix, but I think Mbappe would be in the top three if Lewandowski wasn't in this amazing run of form
  • edited February 2021
    Id have Kane in amongst those names. He's 27 so just hitting 'peak' for a powerful centre forward. If he can stay fit, i think the next 3 years he will score bundles, especially if he leaves Spurs!
  • Fati?
    Bit mean, was a simple question.

I've not seen enough of Fati yet, us he worth the hype or is a bit of a 'young, half decent and from La Masia so must be the next Messi'?

• Good question. Made me realise that since the European games went to BT a few years ago, I know pretty much nothing about what’s happening elsewhere
    Might make the Euros more exciting, used to love a World Cup or Euros when you hadn't seen most of the players weekly already.
  • Ademola Lookman... Obvs. 

• Mbappe is the best at the moment for me but there are some wonderkids coming through and would not be surprised if in a coupe of years the answer to this question is Eduardo Camavinga.
  • bobmunro said:
    Mbappe is the best at the moment for me but there are some wonderkids coming through and would not be surprised if in a coupe of years the answer to this question is Eduardo Camavinga.
    Heard a lot of hype about him, seen he was in France squads so young, but again haven't seen too much apart from the odd YouTube compilation (and we all know how they can show a rubbish player to be good!).

What type of player is he?
  • Sponsored links:

• A good question. It's similar to tennis where the men's game has been dominated by Federer, Nadal and Djokovic for an eternity

Just like the tennis trio, Messi and CR7 as well as their ability have had incredible longevity
  • Id have Kane in amongst those names. He's 27 so just hitting 'peak' for a powerful centre forward. If he can stay fit, i think the next 3 years he will score bundles, especially if he leaves Spurs!
    I think he could be in with a shout, but he for sure needs to leave Spurs. No player at his level should be happy with no trophies and no UCL football. If they don't win Europa or get into the top 4, he has to leave. 
  • A good question. It's similar to tennis where the men's game has been dominated by Federer, Nadal and Djokovic for an eternity

Just like the tennis trio, Messi and CR7 as well as their ability have had incredible longevity
    Yep exactly and tennis it's just about becoming clear now that Thiem, Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas are the most likely 4 to complete for the most honours, but about 5 years after you'd have expected someone to step up a bit.
  • bobmunro said:
    Mbappe is the best at the moment for me but there are some wonderkids coming through and would not be surprised if in a coupe of years the answer to this question is Eduardo Camavinga.
    Heard a lot of hype about him, seen he was in France squads so young, but again haven't seen too much apart from the odd YouTube compilation (and we all know how they can show a rubbish player to be good!).

What type of player is he?

Central midfielder - big, quick, silky skills, reads the game very well, beats an opponent with ease and a great passer. Reminds me of Zidane.

He clearly needs to leave Rennes and will almost certainly do so in the summer - Real Madrid would be my bet.
  • Id have Kane in amongst those names. He's 27 so just hitting 'peak' for a powerful centre forward. If he can stay fit, i think the next 3 years he will score bundles, especially if he leaves Spurs!
    I feel like Kane isn't as good as 2/3 years ago, injuries are taking their toll a bit, never seems to get a good run now before another niggle.

Still quality obviously just nowhere near as consistent.
  • Mbappe has to be careful as could see him struggling with injuries if goes the same way as Owen with his pace.

Foden is no doubt going to be England's next big hope
    I feel like Kane isn't as good as 2/3 years ago, injuries are taking their toll a bit, never seems to get a good run now before another niggle.

I mean he got 24 goals in 34 games last season. He has got 13 goals and 11 assists in 22 games for a struggling Spurs side, after an injury, this season. The bloke is just as good, he's just being affected by shit around him. The only other decent player they've got and his relationship with him (Son) is superb. Imagine him upfront for City.

Just had a look at his stats, and surprised to see this could be his 3rd season in a row without getting 20 goals in the league. Previous 4 seasons before that he scored between 21-30 goals every season. 
  • Dayot Upamecano.
  • Sponsored links:

Just had a look at his stats, and surprised to see this could be his 3rd season in a row without getting 20 goals in the league. Previous 4 seasons before that he scored between 21-30 goals every season. 
    Between service and injuries his record and consistency is still outstanding. He’s a fabulous player who scores all different types of goals. I think he’d walk into every team in the world except maybe Bayern. I also think he’d walk into most teams as a CAM, as he’s not just a goal scorer. 

I mean he got 24 goals in 34 games last season. He has got 13 goals and 11 assists in 22 games for a struggling Spurs side, after an injury, this season. The bloke is just as good, he's just being affected by shit around him. The only other decent player they've got and his relationship with him (Son) is superb. Imagine him upfront for City.

I’ve thought for some time he’d be perfect for Liverpool. Drops deep to feed Son so could do the same for Salah and Mane. Firmino is a similar player but Kane gets goals too. 
  • edited February 2021
    Id have Kane in amongst those names. He's 27 so just hitting 'peak' for a powerful centre forward. If he can stay fit, i think the next 3 years he will score bundles, especially if he leaves Spurs!

18/19 he missed 10 league games though injury.

19/20 he missed 9 league games though injury.

20/21 he's missed 2 league games through injury.

As i said originally, he needs to stay fit, but he does also need to join a team that gives him decent service and competes for trophies. I think he's probably the best all round centre forward this country has ever produced. His game isn't just about goals, he does so much off the ball as well.

As i said originally, he needs to stay fit, but he does also need to join a team that gives him decent service and competes for trophies. I think he's probably the best all round centre forward this country has ever produced. His game isn't just about goals, he does such more off the ball as well.

Yeah, do feel he’s stayed at Spurs for a season or two too long. Great to see loyalty at the top of English game, but in doing so, he’s not going to get the trophies/medals he deserves by end of his career. 

As i said originally, he needs to stay fit, but he does also need to join a team that gives him decent service and competes for trophies. I think he's probably the best all round centre forward this country has ever produced. His game isn't just about goals, he does such more off the ball as well.

Yeah, do feel he’s stayed at Spurs for a season or two too long. Great to see loyalty at the top of English game, but in doing so, he’s not going to get the trophies/medals he deserves by end of his career. 
    He's got to go in the summer I feel. I'm not sure if teams finances will allow it because of the pandemic, but you've got Benzema at Madrid and Aguero at City getting on a bit, Firmino's lack of goals at Liverpool, Werner perhaps not suiting Chelsea. I feel a lot of clubs will be looking for a top class striker. Haaland will obviously attract a lot of attention but I'd be shocked if there's not interest in Kane too. 
  • Mbappe has to be careful as could see him struggling with injuries if goes the same way as Owen with his pace.

Foden is no doubt going to be England's next big hope
    Do wonder whether Mbappe might be at his peak young, like Owen, (original) Ronaldo and the like.

Pace can be devastating and then take its toll through injuries.
  • Ruben Dias looks a very good player
  • KDB. Love watching play for City and Belgium.

Mbappe probably has the biggest marketing and audience appeal to the wider public.
  • How's Peter Parsley coming on? I thought he was going to be the next best thing.
  • Joe Ledley surely?