Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mick Mccarthy next Cardiff manager

Comments

• Took Williams off our hands...

Has gone so well so far.

• He signed him for squad spirit, look at Cardiff and us since he has left. Obviously maybe a coincidence but maybe not. 
  • That's an exceptionally good point re: Williams. A very fine squad man. Wonder what our craic is without him
  • That said I'm sure he'll feature for them on the field too 
  • edited February 2021
    Seeing as this is a thread about the manager & not a player I just wanted to say 3 words.......

New manager bounce.

7 games in charge - 2 draws & 5 wins. 

Nah......you don't want to change managers just because you're underachieving. Stick with the tried & tested one. Might be going through a bit of a lull but hey....he stuck by you. Be careful what you wish for. Who's out there anyway. Nah.....he's no good. Him...?  he'll never take the job.

Ad infinitum.

• The only time Mick Mccarthy and Charlton would have been reasonably linked as bedfellows was after Curbs left. Since then we have been beneath him 

• Would have taken big Mick as our manager.....ex Millwall or not. 
    Was Curbs choice to replace to him when he left. Never know if life would have turned out different 
  • MrLargo said:
    I fondly remember Alan Shearer's new manager bounce at Newcastle, and Phil Parkinson's new manager bounce at Charlton. Frank Dr Boer at Palace, that was my favourite new manager bounce. Felix Magath at Fulham. Jonathan Woodgate at Bournemouth. Etc etc etc etc etc. 
    But Frank De Boer had just had a preseason with appropriate financial support to put together a decent and balanced squad.......... 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    MrLargo said:
    I fondly remember Alan Shearer's new manager bounce at Newcastle, and Phil Parkinson's new manager bounce at Charlton. Frank Dr Boer at Palace, that was my favourite new manager bounce. Felix Magath at Fulham. Jonathan Woodgate at Bournemouth. Etc etc etc etc etc. 
    But Frank De Boer had just had a preseason with appropriate financial support to put together a decent and balanced squad.......... 
    Yep true. Shouldn't be on my new manager bounce list and obviously no comparison to Bowyer either, whose squad was assembled in 2 weeks under a salary cap, and didn't have a pre-season together.
  • MrLargo said:
    There was no bounce when Parky took over, we were just as bad that season as we were under Pardew!
  • edited February 2021
    MrLargo said:
    There was no bounce when Parky took over, we were just as bad that season as we were under Pardew!
    I think that was the point.... 
  • Seeing as this is a thread about the manager & not a player I just wanted to say 3 words.......

New manager bounce.

Nah......you don't want to change managers just because you're underachieving. Stick with the tried & tested one. Might be going through a bit of a lull but hey....he stuck by you. Be careful what you wish for. Who's out there anyway. Nah.....he's no good. Him...?  he'll never take the job.

Ad infinitum.

I also remember Powell's new manager bounce when he took over from Parkinson- not dissimilar results to McCarthy's if I recall correctly. It went downhill rapidly from there and it was only when he had a full preseason with appropriate financial support that he managed to construct a decent and balanced squad.... 
    I also remember Lee Bowyer's new manager bounce when he took over from Karl Robinson, P10 W6, D1 L3 (19pts or 1.9 PPG) 
  • MrLargo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrLargo said:
    Yep true. Shouldn't be on my new manager bounce list and obviously no comparison to Bowyer either, whose squad was assembled in 2 weeks under a salary cap, and didn't have a pre-season together.
    Which squad was assembled in 2 weeks?  Certainly not ours. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    MrLargo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrLargo said:
    We signed Gilbey and Washington a fortnight before the season started. Watson, Maddison Gunter, Bogle and Matthews were all signed after the season had started. So yes, my 2 week comment is misleading. The key bit was that they didn't have a preseason together.
  • MrLargo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrLargo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    MrLargo said:
    We signed Gilbey and Washington a fortnight before the season started. Watson, Maddison Gunter, Bogle and Matthews were all signed after the season had started. So yes, my 2 week comment is misleading. The key bit was that they didn't have a preseason together.
    We also had half a squad before we started.  The preseason bit is true but doesn't explain how/why we started well then got worse. 
  • Seeing as this is a thread about the manager & not a player I just wanted to say 3 words.......

New manager bounce.

Ad infinitum.

Really?  They have a good squad built around physical players.  They've gone from Warnock to Harris and then McCarthy.  All managers whose strengths and setups have similarities.  Our squad might be a small bouncing dead cat but ain't leaping into the play offs.
  • MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    Believe this is what's known as a "whoosh".
    Whoops, misread the other examples  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    He signed him for squad spirit, look at Cardiff and us since he has left. Obviously maybe a coincidence but maybe not. 
    I'm surprised you say Williams was wanted by McCarthy for squad spirit and not as a football player.
  • He signed him for squad spirit, look at Cardiff and us since he has left. Obviously maybe a coincidence but maybe not. 
    I'm surprised you say Williams was wanted by McCarthy for squad spirit and not as a football player.
    And Dills was a massive part of that spirit too.
  • Makes me laugh when people say Bowyer suffered due to not having a preseason. The squad seems to have got steadily worse rather than better so he's not getting it to gel. 

• My point us, people keep saying "you don't want to go round sacking Bowyer as there is no-one else better" or  " be careful of what you wish for". My answer is "look at Mick McCarthy & what he has done".Doesn't mean that a new manager would do it with us per se, but it does show that you don't have to stick with what you have just because you fear the unknown. 
  • My point us, people keep saying "you don't want to go round sacking Bowyer as there is no-one else better" or  " be careful of what you wish for". My answer is "look at Mick McCarthy & what he has done".Doesn't mean that a new manager would do it with us per se, but it does show that you don't have to stick with what you have just because you fear the unknown. 
    Fun fact.  The 3 clubs relegated from the championship last season didn't change thier manager mid season.  The teams in the 4 places directly above all did. 
    We've got 22 points from the last 20 games and played some terrible football so we don't have much to lose. Not much to worry about.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    My point us, people keep saying "you don't want to go round sacking Bowyer as there is no-one else better" or  " be careful of what you wish for". My answer is "look at Mick McCarthy & what he has done".Doesn't mean that a new manager would do it with us per se, but it does show that you don't have to stick with what you have just because you fear the unknown. 
    Fun fact.  The 3 clubs relegated from the championship last season didn't change thier manager mid season.  The teams in the 4 places directly above all did. 
    Even more fun than that, all three relegated clubs were pissed about with by owners who couldn’t give two shits if their clubs got relegated or not. I think that’s probably got more to do with it than whether a club changed their managers or not.
    That's very true.  I didn't give an opinion, I stated a fact :-) 
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/24/mick-mccarthy-cardiff-city-championship-football

Good to see Dillon taking his chance following Smithies' injury and turning in some excellent displays. With his ability and mental strength, I think he'll eventually play in the Premier League.