Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Taking the knee this evening

Not a discussion if the right thing to do or not, just wondering why it was done before the game this evening when I thought it doesn't take place at our home games. Apologies if covered elsewhere (I did a quick check but didn't find anything)

Comments

• Thought it was done before all matches 
  • I presume if the opposition want to do it then we do it ourselves not to look bad - If neither team want to do it then we dont
    That would be my assumption too
  • I presume if the opposition want to do it then we do it ourselves not to look bad - If neither team want to do it then we dont
    Thanks - my thinking too, just thought I'd ask if anyone knew for sure
  • se9addick said:
    Thought it was done before all matches 
    No, not seen it happen at home before - I may have missed when it has but certainly not happened before many home games. Les Ferdinand took the decision for it to stop happening at QPR but I think I heard that may have changed. Again, it might be due to the opposition's wishes. Quite different before the 6 Nations games
  • Quite a few bame players have called it out - so I can see it stopping. 

Yeah Lyle Taylor doesn't like it, so world football's probably going to knock it on the head now.
  • Cloudworm said:
    Quite a few bame players have called it out - so I can see it stopping. 

Yeah Lyle Taylor doesn't like it, so world football's probably going to knock it on the head now.
    There are plenty saying its not for them any more, Zaha at Palace is the latest.
  • Cloudworm said:

There are plenty saying its not for them any more, Zaha at Palace is the latest.

I believe he said that it's degrading that there is no change, despite the gesture, rather than a criticism of the gesture itself. Either way...

Yeah Lyle Taylor and Wilfred Zaha doesn't like it, so world football's probably going to knock it on the head now.

• Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Cloudworm said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    It's fizzling out so it'll stop at the end of the season. And rightly, too - corporations have seized upon the idea, and the media narrative has shifted to the actual action itself as "the thing", rather than the actual underlying reason behind the knee.

The FA and other authorities are probably loving the knee, because it makes it look like they're doing something when absolutely nothing is being done whatsoever.

Do I support the notion of the knee? Of course. I think we all do. But it's not doing anything. Take the fight to where it can truly engender change.

I completely agree with you Paddy, apart from that in bold. I suspect some of us don't.
    Okay - well, hopefully it's only a very small minority of people who think racism is okay.

(edit - to add the word "only" in the sentence)
  • If people are discussing it, it is still working for me.
  • My suggestion is Hasselbaink wanted it.
  • Redrobo said:
    If people are discussing it, it is still working for me.
    I think the discussion has evolved and is now more about the action than the meaning behind it.

I've seen a lot of players discuss stopping because it's lost it's meaning but what I really want to read is what will be done instead that will have a bigger impact.
  • Taking the p*** tonight is more apt.
  • Quite a few bame players have called it out - so I can see it stopping. 
    I wonder what Clinton Morrison has to say about that.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Cloudworm said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    It's fizzling out so it'll stop at the end of the season. And rightly, too - corporations have seized upon the idea, and the media narrative has shifted to the actual action itself as "the thing", rather than the actual underlying reason behind the knee.

The FA and other authorities are probably loving the knee, because it makes it look like they're doing something when absolutely nothing is being done whatsoever.

Do I support the notion of the knee? Of course. I think we all do. But it's not doing anything. Take the fight to where it can truly engender change.

I completely agree with you Paddy, apart from that in bold. I suspect some of us don't.
    Okay - well, hopefully it's only a very small minority of people who think racism is okay.

(edit - to add the word "only" in the sentence)
    That’s a ridiculous comment tbh PaddyP17. Using your logic, the many POC who've come out against the action must also think racism is okay, which clearly is absurd.

I think you're misreading what I've written/unfairly (but not necessarily intentionally) taken it out of context, particularly as I've said the action should rightly stop?
  • Sponsored links:

• Cloudworm said:

Strange person you not lt

i do not agree with the taken a knee as I feel it doesn’t do anything it’s a meaningless gesture. Players are still racially abused on social media after matches.
  • Redrobo said:
    This. I’m interested to know what people who think it should be dropped suggest we do instead.
  • JaShea99 said:
    Redrobo said:
    This. I’m interested to know what people who think it should be dropped suggest we do instead.
    Depends what your taking the knee against, it’s 1st cause was against racial police brutality in the United States of America? 
  • JaShea99 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Depends what your taking the knee against, it’s 1st cause was against racial police brutality in the United States of America? 
    Not sure if that was a question but if it was, yes that was the first reason, to be united against it. Obviously more broadly it’s about combatting racism in all walks of life.
  • JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Redrobo said:
    Not sure if that was a question but if it was, yes that was the first reason, to be united against it. Obviously more broadly it’s about combatting racism in all walks of life.
    But it's not though. It's not in support of the 1000s of South Asians who've died constructing the Qatar World Cup stadiums, or the genocide of the Uyghur people in China
    But it could be.
    Doing something. Anything. Is far better than doing nothing.
  • Redrobo said:
    JaShea99 said:
    JaShea99 said:
    Redrobo said:
    But it's not though. It's not in support of the 1000s of South Asians who've died constructing the Qatar World Cup stadiums, or the genocide of the Uyghur people in China
    But it could be.
    Doing something. Anything. Is far better than doing nothing.
    Is it though? And I ask that in all seriousness. Is at this point someone of any race facing discrimination cheering themselves up with the thought that hey, at least a bunch of league one football players knelt down for a few seconds?

Substantive action is ABSOLUTELY something to strive for and support. Performative actions that achieve nothing.... Well they achieve nothing. It's run it's course as a focal point and it's done as much out of habit as genuine support now.
  • DiscoCAFC said:
    Cloudworm said:

I don’t like Taylor after the way he left us but what I thought he said was spot on. 

There’s more that should be done to stop racism but associating with the BLM which is a markxist organisation isn’t the right way IMO.
    Well that didn’t take long...