Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Poor officials

Missed the validity of Swindon last minute corner. The kick was taken with the ball outside the quadrant!

Comments

• Kinsella corner, Pringle goal against Chelsea comes to mind. 
  • He wasn’t prolific was he
  • Was researching a 1950s Charlton reserve player, Alan Back, following a request from a Tonbridge fan. Back had gone on to have a long non league career including a long cup run with Tonbridge.

While he was at Charlton he took a corner in a reserve game v Tottenham. The ball hit overhead power lines and dropped perfectly for Jim Fryatt to put the ball in the net.

But the ref disallowed the "goal", not for the unusual assist but because Alan had taken the kick before the ref was ready.
  • Is VAR making refereeing now a nervous profession
  • OldRed51 said:
    Is VAR making refereeing now a nervous profession
    it is
  • It must be similar to working for a boss who can't delegate properly.
  • Possibly (and I suppose it has been mentioned on the VAR thread already) referees could be left to get on with it and like cricket each team could be allowed a limited number of VAR appeals in a match, otherwise the referee is in charge for good or ill.
  • seth plum said:
    Possibly (and I suppose it has been mentioned on the VAR thread already) referees could be left to get on with it and like cricket each team could be allowed a limited number of VAR appeals in a match, otherwise the referee is in charge for good or ill.
    Spot on. Reffing is hard enough as it is (for those "All refs are shit" types on here, how about giving it a go before you mouth off?)
    Yes, there are poor, overly officious ones, who don't appear to have played or understand the game (the way the game is played rather than the actual rules). There are others who like to be the centre of attention too. I've seen a couple of recent games where the ref has allowed a bit of physical contact and let the game flow. It stops players from diving and going down at the slightest touch and makes for a much better spectacle.

With VAR, two appeals per game, with successful ones being carried over like they are in cricket. 
  • I got my Kent FA refereeing badge While I was still playing. Insights as an ex player a plus for sure, the pressured responsibility of being in charge was more tiring than playing but very rewarding. In the main players would rather have an unbiased referee than not.
  • Sponsored links:

• What irritates me is when you have former players, happy to take the easy option of being a TV pundit, moaning that we need more former players to become referees as they understand the game better...
  • Come on, it's Christmas...  ALL referees are C&*£ts!!!

Only joking BTW, although it is a recurring theme on most of the match threads I read on CL.
  • I've have seen players have stinkers of games on many occasions, not only individual mistakes, but been pretty crap all the way through.
    As a percentage I have seen less Referees who fall into that category.
    A fundamental question to be asked at most levels of the game could be 'would you rather have a referee rather than no referee at all?'

• Please look at my previous post on, in my opinion why the standard of refereeing is suffering!

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/comment/4081204#Comment_4081204

• Watch the bizarre moment referee Oscar Macias accidentally blocks an effort on goal from Cruz Azul in their Mexican league match against Toluca
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qruhGfyKENc
  • clive said:
    Watch the bizarre moment referee Oscar Macias accidentally blocks an effort on goal from Cruz Azul in their Mexican league match against Toluca
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qruhGfyKENc
    It's a cartel thing  B)
  • Match officials do a difficult job diligently for the most part .. like footballers, street sweepers, hairdressers, van drivers, some are better than others, so the lower leagues get the less proficient officials and those starting out on their pro careers and those on the way down from the big big time .. mistakes?, bias? .. cliché time .. they tend to even out over a season