Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

STATBANK Fleetwood 1-1 Charlton

many thanks to the 66 Lifers who gave marks.
last week Dazzler asked about hit posts, last season in league games we hit the woodwork 8 times, so far this season 12 times with Chuks having 5

Comments

• Smiths pass rate when he did get the ball was the highest in the team, and he was hooked! Probably now injured with neck strain watching the ball going over his head.
  • You know we were crap when the keeper picks up MoM by default
  • Only three fouls against us?  Is that a record low?
  • edited February 2021
    17 fouls. We need to kick out this dirty football we have been playing this season. Ridiculous to give away so many each game. 

On average this season we give away just shy of 15 fouls per game. Second only to Bowyer's old bosses side Oxford on fouls per game, but top of the overall fouls table.
  • Looking at the form table, Burton and Blackpool won't be easy games
  • Dazzler21 said:
    17 fouls. We need to kick out this dirty football we have been playing this season. Ridiculous to give away so many each game. 

On average this season we give away just shy of 15 fouls per game. Second only to Bowyer's old bosses side Oxford on fouls per game, but top of the overall fouls table.
    Absolute not. Backing Charlton 40+ booking points is paying for next years season ticket. 

There is about 6/8 players who are guaranteed a booking every game. 
  • It would be interesting (and no I can't be bothered to work it out!) who has the worst record when it comes to bookings per minutes played

Watson or Gilbey I'd have thought, with Chuks in 3rd. Pratley would actually be a long way down, as he's played a lot of minutes
  • I can't be bothered either!!!
  • If we had 49% possession it must be that the statistician counted the time the ball in the air from hoofing it up in the air before Fleetwood reclaimed  it. Or , the amount  of time Amos wasted retrieving balls at a deadly slow pace. Either way we had 3 shots from 49% dithering and they has 17 from 51 %. That is an appalling statistic and if anyone  thinks that is going to get us promoted I would be surprised because we have been this poor for a long time now.
    Possession is usually calculated by comparing the number of passes each team made as a share of the total number of passes in the game. 

I’m not sure where Lancs gets his stats but the stats I have show us with 346 passes to Fleetwood’s 330. That would give CAFC 51.2% possession and Fleetwood 48.8%.
  • If we had 49% possession it must be that the statistician counted the time the ball in the air from hoofing it up in the air before Fleetwood reclaimed  it. Or , the amount  of time Amos wasted retrieving balls at a deadly slow pace. Either way we had 3 shots from 49% dithering and they has 17 from 51 %. That is an appalling statistic and if anyone  thinks that is going to get us promoted I would be surprised because we have been this poor for a long time now.
    Possession is usually calculated by comparing the number of passes each team made as a share of the total number of passes in the game. 

I’m not sure where Lancs gets his stats but the stats I have show us with 346 passes to Fleetwood’s 330. That would give CAFC 51.2% possession and Fleetwood 48.8%.
    I always thought Possession was calculated based on the amount of time each side has the ball. Interesting to calculate off passes.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

One of my many bugbears with this side is the number of cheap free kicks we give away. Some of them in our half give the opposition an opportunity to load our box and put the ball into the danger area, whilst those in the opponent's defensive third instantly extinguish our attacks.

Our high foul count is probably attributable to a number of factors, including: an inability to retain possession in midfield; a few naturally aggressive players like Pratley (which any team needs); older players like Watson who gets there as quickly as he can (but is usually too late); ineptitude in the art of tackling (e.g. Gilbey); and, significantly in my view, the philosophy of a manager who demands that every single player does 'the dirty stuff' and gets vigorously stuck in. It goes without saying that hard work and commitment is a minimum requirement for any team but the successful ones have a blend of skills. Lee Bowyer wants to create a team in his own image, whereas players have different qualities and a more nuanced approach is required to get the best out of the squad, both individually and collectively. 

Dazzler's post prompted me to have a look at the League One tables for Red and Yellow Cards. No prizes for guessing who is top of both.........
    https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/league-one/discipline.html
  • Blucher said:
    Dazzler21 said:

One of my many bugbears with this side is the number of cheap free kicks we give away. Some of them in our half give the opposition an opportunity to load our box and put the ball into the danger area, whilst those in the opponent's defensive third instantly extinguish our attacks.

Our high foul count is probably attributable to a number of factors, including: an inability to retain possession in midfield; a few naturally aggressive players like Pratley (which any team needs); older players like Watson who gets there as quickly as he can (but is usually too late); ineptitude in the art of tackling (e.g. Gilbey); and, significantly in my view, the philosophy of a manager who demands that every single player does 'the dirty stuff' and gets vigorously stuck in. It goes without saying that hard work and commitment is a minimum requirement for any team but the successful ones have a blend of skills. Lee Bowyer wants to create a team in his own image, whereas players have different qualities and a more nuanced approach is required to get the best out of the squad, both individually and collectively. 

Dazzler's post prompted me to have a look at the League One tables for Red and Yellow Cards. No prizes for guessing who is top of both.........
    https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/league-one/discipline.html
    That yellow card table is awful. 67 yellows is 9 more than the 2nd team

And in 2nd and 3rd are Swindon and Northampton, both bottom 5 strugglers, so it's not as if fouling is a recipe for success
  • We also had a sending off in the FA Cup game, so we have 6 red cards so far and are well on course for 100 yellows for the season. 

The statistics suggest that too much emphasis is being placed on this aspect of the game by management and not enough on the creative side - i.e.playing football. I don't expect Xavi and Iniesta style possession in tight midfield areas, but we could actually try passing the ball to each other and moving to create space in order to try and gain control of the middle of the park. Our defensive cock ups have taken the biscuit over the last 20 or so games, but ineptitude in midfield is not that far behind. Bowyer has no idea of his best combination and he then hooks Smith just after half time on his debut. I don't get it.
  • Great analysis, including factual stats. 

Once again, LB has not been asked a tough question in an interview that requires asking. It's only Benjy who has shown the balls to ask questions you would expect from a journalist, not a friend.