Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Radio Garden Website

Like Google earth but has radio stations as green dots - rotate the globe, click on a dot and listen to the local radio station.

Lots of them aren't really functional but just thought you might be interested.

http://radio.garden

Comments

• that's cool ! just listening to Pollensa Radio !
  • edited February 2021
    I was listening to one in Cambodia - only disappointing thing is how similar a lot of the music is from Morocco to France to Moscow...
  • It’s a brilliant app . I’ve Been using it for a while 
  • That’s brilliant - listening to a radio station in Aden as I write !!
  • Just been alerted to this thread, as I just posted about Radio garden on the one about new things you discovered this year.

I'm looking for stations that play indie rock, blues or jazz mainly, but most of all play what they want, not what's been pre-programmed.

The one I like most off this app so far is this blues station out of Kiev. Mainly mean guitar based blues/rock, and nary even a jingle to disturb the flow. 

• edited February 2021
    thanks for this. just started to look at this. playing alot of European radio stations. reminds me of getting a rental car out with no CD/tape player so you have to put up with the local stations. Mostly eurotrash shite and English/american pop songs but occasionally a Euro gem comes through, which they play at least once an hour. It becomes the holiday tune. 
  • edited February 2021
    I've been listening to Raidio na Galetachta and some bonkers music on little Syrian and Lebanese stations but for total f***ing outthereness some of the midwest USA christian stations making the weird seem normal take the biscuit.
  • Been listening to a Smooth Jazz 24/7 from New York a soul station in Chicago and some trad Jazz in New Orleans.
    Just been alerted to radio garden, wondering if it is safe.
  • Been listening to a Smooth Jazz 24/7 from New York a soul station in Chicago and some trad Jazz in New Orleans.
    Haven't seen any indications that it isn't.  It is from a reputable research project overseen by University of Halle / Wittenberg and can't see any reports of insecurities.
  • Sponsored links:

Haven't seen any indications that it isn't.  It is from a reputable research project overseen by University of Halle / Wittenberg and can't see any reports of insecurities.
    That was also discussed on Twitter, because it does not use the https. security, but people pointed out that users dont upload or download, so it should not be relevant. Not sure if I have that right but it made sense to me.
  • Interesting site, could keep me entertained for hours. I started out close to home checking out Essex and then Kent. What a load of shit people listen to around these parts! I quickly branched out to Nigeria and found that wasn't much better; it was like listening to the soundtrack to People Just Do Nothing. Hopped over the border to Cameroon and there's a totally different vibe. My best recommendation so far, if you love upbeat rhythms with jolly jangly guitars have a try of Balla Radio from Yaoundé, Cameroon. If I don't get away on holiday this year, I might use this site to help plan a little virtual holiday somewhere.
  • Just been alerted to this thread, as I just posted about Radio garden on the one about new things you discovered this year.

I'm looking for stations that play indie rock, blues or jazz mainly, but most of all play what they want, not what's been pre-programmed.

The one I like most off this app so far is this blues station out of Kiev. Mainly mean guitar based blues/rock, and nary even a jingle to disturb the flow. 

Thanks Prague, been listening and enjoying the Kiev blues station.
  • Using this with kids in school - they think its great for whole host of reasons.
  • If you like a bit of prog-rock as I do, this one out of Montreal might be worth a listen, although it is nicely eccentric/unpredictable. 

Years and effing years ago when I was on hols in Sydney, I was absolutely mesmerised by JJJ. It still seems to exist, but seems to be now solidly a dance/yoof station, there is also JJ, which might be more promising for indie rock, but I'm not sure yet. That's the trouble, clicking on a station and deciding, based on that one song, won't give you the full picture. 
  • Using this with kids in school - they think its great for whole host of reasons.
    Number 1 being it is better than doing work. 

Whats the New York jazz station you mentioned? I would definitely like to add a station or two that plays jazz in the Pat Metheny genre... 
  • edited February 2021
    Anyone listen to fip radio?  It seems to be more curated than DJ led.  Maybe I'm being a dunce for not always turning on in the house, but outside in the garden fip Jazz so much better than my maison monochoice of Radio6:  Don't have to put up with the annoying Radio6 daytime playlist and waffle.
  • I've taken a virtual tour of Russia this morning and am shocked by how bad their radio is. I challenge anyone to find a country with worse quality radio. Endless stations playing the very worst chart music from an age when the charts turned really bad; simpering soft rock and that auto-tuned dross that terminally unimaginative people erroneously call R&B. It's jam packed with the sort of garbage that thick people like for a few weeks before flitting onto something else; twenty years on the Russians are still being force fed on it. The only stuff that sounded like it was being sung in Russian had the quality of radio jingles. Exceedingly poor radio jingles. I really do hope that there's a thriving underground scene that hasn't made it on to Radio Garden. Those poor people.  

Me too.

Will sort this out on the car's DAB later. So much better without incessant waffle from DJs or continual adverts.
  • Sponsored links:

Whats the New York jazz station you mentioned? I would definitely like to add a station or two that plays jazz in the Pat Metheny genre... 
    Smooth jazz 24/7. Pat Metheny!! you've got good taste in music Prague.
    Lots of smooth stuff on this station, Brian Culberson seems to feature quite a bit.

Lots of smooth stuff on this station, Brian Culberson seems to feature quite a bit.
    I'm still feeling my way a bit with jazz though, so I'm looking for more in that style. Will give it a whirl. Similar station reccos welcome.

I'm still feeling my way a bit with jazz though, so I'm looking for more in that style. Will give it a whirl. Similar station reccos welcome.
    Prague.
    I've just found Radio garden and can recommend smooth jazz 24/7.
    I hope this post does not seem as if I'm boasting but I've been very lucky to have been able to follow my love of music particularly in the last maybe 15 years or so.
    I have tried to experience music at its highest level both in the U.K. and internationally.
    Jazz and blues clubs in London, New York and Australia.
    Some years ago I was in Memphis for a blue's festival where the infamous Beale street had stages set along its length with the old boys in suits (John Lee Hooker style) played their own versions of blues numbers, it was pure heaven for me.
    After leaving Memphis we drove down highway 61 taking in some of the very dodgy blues clubs along the way and ending our trip a some very good jazz clubs in New Orleans.
    So Prague, without boring you to death about my Jazz and Blues experiences, here's just a few of the  Jazz performers you may sample.
    Brian Culberson is one of my favorite performers (saw him in Pizza Express Soho) and like his style of music.
    Liane Carroll is probably the best current English female Jazz performer, seen her a few times in the U.K.
    I never tire of listening to Miles Davis particularly his 'Kind Of Blue' album.
    So many more I could recommend but Jazz is such a varied genre and type of music.
    Whatever music and wherever you hear it, enjoy.

• Also Mark Murphy if you like vocal jazz.
  • Nice app.  Picks up my local radio stations in Spain  :)

Any dinosaurs (like me) who are into classic rock might like to listen to Valley FM at 6pm on Tuesday (until the match kicks off, of course)

http://radio.garden/listen/valley-fm/l8k5bJvq