Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Burton Albion | Tues 23rd Feb | 7pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Burton Albion
Tuesday 23rd February 2021 ... 7pm Kick-Off
Referee: Christopher Pollard

Introduction
The fourth official holds up the substitution board and we see a shocking change to the Preview writer this midweek; "Dont think anyone is going to be impressed with this from Bowyer, hope its tactical rather than yet another injury" remarks an extremely unimpressed AFKA

For the last few weeks though Charlton have "benefited" from not having any midweek fixtures, its allowed the team to focus a bit more on the training ground which has unfortunately wielded no changes to our fortunes come game day. Yesterday saw the Addicks fleeing the North West with a point, you could of course argue that Tuesday is a night to instantly put things right, yet the way our run in appears to be going, its more of like watching that bloke in the Big Ben costume desperately trying to get across the London Marathon finish line as dignified as possible!!

The Opposition
Name: Burton Albion (24th) | Manager: Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink
Ground: Pirelli Stadium
Previous Meeting: Burton Albion 4-2 Charlton Athletic

Tuesday 24th November was the evening when the Charlton defence got its days and months mixed up because on that miserable evening Christmas came very early for the hosts, having gifted three goals it was always going to be an impossible task to try and bring anything back from Burton that evening and come full-time we got exactly what we deserved... Nothing!!

It wouldnt come as a surprise to anyone that their victory in the reverse fixture was only their second win of the season and so ended a run of twelve games that had wielded just four points - For Jake Buxton it was always going to be a difficult task to step into Nigel Clough's shoes (especially with the cost cutting at the Pirelli), and his victory over the Addicks was as good as it got before being relieved of duties between Christmas and New Year. His replacement needs no introduction and on a happy note (at least for our visitors) things appear to be turning, in Hasselbaink's five games in charge he's recorded three wins, two coming on the road and the third a home win over promotion chasing: Hull City.

In terms of the opposition I think its only worth giving Charles Vernam a special mention after the attacking midfielder scored an impressive solo goal in the reverse fixture. In addition it would be remiss of me to ignore Josh Parker who joined the Brewers from Wycombe in the January Transfer Window along with ex-England U21 defender: Michael Mancienne whose career has spanned the Premier League, Bundesliga and MLS.

Charlton Team News
Saturday saw the surprise inclusion of Akin Famewo in the starting line up for the first time since our 1-1 draw at Shrewsbury Town in December, it would be surprising if the on-loan Norwich defender starts again this Tuesday night having played the full game at Fleetwood, as a result you'd naturally expect Jason Pearce to come into the starting line up in his place.

Elsewhere and neither Ronnie Schwartz or Matt Smith were able to grasp their opportunity what with injuries and suspensions so it wouldnt be surprising to see either dropped with Albie Morgan one potential player to return to the team or Chuks Aneke who you'd surely expect to see returning after suspension. Jayden Stockley at present is certainly undroppable having scored three goals in the six games since his loan move from Preston North End.

Amos
Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Purrington
Morgan | Pratley | Shinnie
Millar
Stockley | Aneke

Substitutes Bench: Harness | Matthews | Famewo | Smith | Watson | Schwartz | Jaiyesimi

Prediction
The Valley hasnt been the fortress that we'd normally expect this season, thats either down to the absense of fans or whether its down to Bowyer being unable to get his players to work in cohesion, unfortunately we'll never know - For many though the season is now over, teams can beat anyone at this level but its a big ask to suddenly go on the sort of run we've barely seen this time around. If it isnt to be over then the home form must turn around, especially when we're unable to take all three points like at Fleetwood!!

Comments

• edited February 2021
    The Charlton great Valley give away continues... 24th in the league?  Pah! We'll make you look like Brazil.

Lee Bowyers Pick n Mix will see to that.
  • 5-1 home win
  • Agreed with that starting line up.

2-1 Burton. Josh Parker with a brace. 

AFKA to take the forum offline for a couple of days to save the meltdown that happens next.
    I’m not sure I would be able to cope if Burton win, even a draw would be a crime against humanity. 
  • Just win games
  • Obviously we should win this game comfortably but we havent beaten most teams we should have beaten this season. IF Burton get any kind of result here I think it will be the straw that breaks the  camels back. Watching LB yesterday he seemed resigned to his fate it woukdnt surprise me if a required points total had been set a few weeks ago and with our last 2 games he is falling behind on that requirement 
  • I will be happy with a 1-0 win. Agree with your team FA
  • It really is just a foregone conclusion that Josh Parker will score the winning goal for Burton in injury time.

• Chuck's backs gives us more but bad feeling about this one. 
  • Time for a change of formation?

Amos

Oshilja, Pratley, Famewo

Matthews, Smith, Morgan, Shinnie, Maatsen

Aneke, Stockley. 

Can’t be any worse.. 
  • Sponsored links:

• No Gunter Pearce or shinnie morgen. Start matthews Famewo jaiyesimi smith win the ducking game bowyer otherwise duck off
  • Burton are rock bottom and going down.
    We shouldn't just beat them we should beat them convincingly. 
    2.1 Burton and Bowyer gets sacked on Wednesday. 
  • AndyG said:
    Obviously we should win this game comfortably but we havent beaten most teams we should have beaten this season. IF Burton get any kind of result here I think it will be the straw that breaks the  camels back. Watching LB yesterday he seemed resigned to his fate it woukdnt surprise me if a required points total had been set a few weeks ago and with our last 2 games he is falling behind on that requirement 

On current form this is not a game, or any, we should win comfortably.

We should never have got rid of Slade.....................
  • AndyG said:
    Obviously we should win this game comfortably but we havent beaten most teams we should have beaten this season. IF Burton get any kind of result here I think it will be the straw that breaks the  camels back. Watching LB yesterday he seemed resigned to his fate it woukdnt surprise me if a required points total had been set a few weeks ago and with our last 2 games he is falling behind on that requirement 

On current form this is not a game, or any, we should win comfortably.
    My point exactly 
  • We'll be tuning in with our expectations getting ever lower. I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but it is now a regular feature of our week and something we allegedly look forward to. 

• I wonder if we will give them just the 1 goal head start or 2, we are at home after all.

We should never have got rid of Slade.....................
    Decent band about 30 years ago.
    Not sure how good today 
  • 0 0 draw signalling the end for Bowyer
  • edited February 2021
    Good team Burton, much better than their league position suggests.  There are no bad teams in this division.  

Obviously they have sacked their manager so that can't possibly improve anything.

With those two conflicting bits of information I think it will be a 2-2 and then 3 days to work out an imagantive way of not beating Blackpool on Saturday.

On a serious note I don't see how anyone can predict the team or the score we could finally turn up and give them a thrashing or we could copitulate in front of our eyes. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Win 2-0 and everyone saying it was no more than expected and nothing special. Would have been more if he had played  X and not substituted Y.
  • edited February 2021
    We need to win. 

Back to Rochdale rematch formation and closing game please. 

Keep Famewo & Smith in and bring Aneke back in.

Amos

Gunter - Oshilaja - Famewo - Purrington

Shinnie - Smith - Pratley - Millar

Aneke - Stockley

We need to stick to consistency where we can.

2-1 to finally turn around a Golfie.
  • I think this is close to how we line up. TBF, I think there might be something in playing both Aneke and Prately at this level. I would probably have Shinnie instead of Smith and have DJ wide. Really try to have a go at them.
  • Don’t drop Famewo - he is class
    Don’t start Morgan - not good enough 

Drop Gunter for Matthews
    Drop Morgan for DJ. 
  • I think Gunter is a slightly better overall RB than Matthews.
  • its going to be a tough game against bottom of the league.
  • We're at home to the bottom team in L1 and I'm not confident.
    If Bowyer loses this one I'm expecting him to be sacked.

Games played without fans I feel make home or away irrelevant.  I make you right on Bowyer getting the chop should we lose.
  • As pony as we have been I’m 100% confident we won’t lose 

Charlton 80%
    Draw 20%
    burton 0%

3-1 after going 0-1 down and finally Golfie can rest easy 
  • Don’t drop Famewo - he is class
    Don’t start Morgan - not good enough 

Drop Gunter for Matthews
    Drop Morgan for DJ.
    What are you on about? Morgan hasn't started in weeks.