Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bohemian Rhapsody-Film.

Apologies if covered before.

Was lucky enough to see Queen 3 times live (Earls Court '77, Wembley and Lewisham) so went to the cinema in 2018 to see the film. Thought it pretty good. Going through Prime this evening was pleased to see its on there now.
Not sure if it's a Queen thing but on a cinema screen I thought it was like a "live" show, on TV it seems to have to lost some of its strength. 

Now watching the original 1984 Live Aid set on YouTube, man, Queen owned that day !

Comments

• Was a good film but the fact that some of the main parts of the story were fabricated and timelines wrong spoiled it for me.
  • I enjoyed the film 
  • As a Queen/Freddie fan I thought it was terrible. Could’ve gone a lot deeper hence why Sasha Baron Cohen pulled out of the film. I can’t remember the name of it but there was a really good documentary on Freddie on Channel 5 a few years back where the man playing Freddie really looked like him.
  • Watched it last night for the first time coincidentally. I thought it was disappointing. 

• Before my son was old enough to take driving lessons on a road, to set him up, we booked him car familiarity lessons on a private road. When we got there, we saw, in the middle of a field, an exact replica of the Live Aid stage. It turned out to be for this film. 
  • They also used Bromley College and a road in ladywell for filming locations 
  • Enjoyed it. The story does have a few parts in it which either aren’t quite true or are exaggerated/out of position, but if you just watch it for what it is then I think it’s very good. Certainly exceeded expectations.
  • edited February 2021
    I doubt there are many films that are 100% true. They have to prioritise maximising the entertainment rather than give a history lesson. They also have to keep certain people on board. What you get, ultimately, is a flavour.
  • Sponsored links:

• I liked it and much better than the Elton film. Think they should’ve stayed as Mott the Hoople’s support band though. 
  • kafka said:
    I liked it and much better than the Elton film. Think they should’ve stayed as Mott the Hoople’s support band though. 
    Ahhh Mott ... now there’s a genuinely superb band ... amazing live and on record 
  • Didn’t enjoy it, had way too much of Brian May’s finger prints all over it. The amount of time spent on the creation of the worst song in human history, We Will Rock You, alone should have had it cancelled before its release. 

I think a film about Freddy Mercury’s childhood/upbringing would be great however.
  • Have very good mates who are huge fans and we spent a lot of time together as youngsters, but I never got it. Was into The Jam, Madness and The Specials and just never liked Queen.  Didn’t get Queen then and still don’t, but would be boring if we all liked the same thing.
  • edited February 2021
    TelMc32 said:
    Have very good mates who are huge fans and we spent a lot of time together as youngsters, but I never got it. Was into The Jam, Madness and The Specials and just never liked Queen.  Didn’t get Queen then and still don’t, but would be boring if we all liked the same thing.
    That's because you clearly have some taste in music 😂

Never have and never will watch the film but read that it brushes over his sexuality. That was odd at the time (many of the bands homophobic fans were in denial) but unforgivable now.
    😂

I will change channels if they come on the radio or TV.  

Did a mate’s stag do at Lingfield races a few years ago and they had a Queen tribute band on. I couldn’t think of anything worse and just carried on drinking. The others were loving it, but came a cropper trying to dance as the ground got muddier beneath them. Most of them ended up on their arses in the mud, which was far more entertaining that listening to Queen 😉
  • TelMc32 said:
    Have very good mates who are huge fans and we spent a lot of time together as youngsters, but I never got it. Was into The Jam, Madness and The Specials and just never liked Queen.  Didn’t get Queen then and still don’t, but would be boring if we all liked the same thing.

Never have and never will watch the film but read that it brushes over his sexuality. That was odd at the time (many of the bands homophobic fans were in denial) but unforgivable now.
    Having seen the film, I’m not convinced that’s true ...but obviously I am seeing it from a non-gay perspective. 

Rami Malek, who plays Mercury, also agrees:

I don't think the film shies away from his sexuality or his all-consuming disease, which is obviously AIDS. I don't know how you could avoid any of that, or if anyone would ever want to.’

Malek also discussed the ways that Bohemian Rhapsody addresses Mercury's battle with HIV/AIDS in the latter years of his life.

The film needed to approach it in a delicate manner," he explained. "You can't shy away from it. It was an important moment to have in the film, one that ultimately is very sad but also empowering in a way. 

‘It shows you just how resilient human beings can be and how much we rely on the strength of our friends and family to get us through tough times. This pandemic is still very much a horrific threat to so many people in the world. It exists as a reality for so many that I think it would be a shame not to address it.’

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a866054/bohemian-rhapsody-star-rami-malek-defends-movie-freddie-mercury-sexuality/

• I am not a huge Queen fan, although I do regret only seeing them live once (I don't count the Queen and Paul Rodgers gig).

I really enjoyed the film and I didn't notice that certain things had been moved in the timeline. I suppose not being really into them allowed me to take the film as it was intended - a fictional account of real events.

Of the rockumentary films out there, I think it's one of the best. I heard a rumour Boy George is next - wonder how much of his private life they will "gloss over". :smile:
  • The real life story of Freddie Mercury’s life between 1986 and his death in 1991 is very interesting, and of course very sad.

Brian May and Roger Taylor have told incredible stories of the times Mercury was too ill to do much else besides sing each song 2-3 times in recording, with the view that the band would finish everything off after he died.

Freddie’s final album, titled Innuendo, was intended to be exactly that - an album filled with hidden meanings around what was really going on in the background. The Show Must Go On is the most prominent example. 
  • Sponsored links:

• TelMc32 said:

Don’t believe all you read, absolute rubbish.
  • I've not seen the film, I'd rather watch Millwall winning, @Hartleypete but clearly others who have disagree with you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/2018/11/16/18071460/bohemian-rhapsody-queerphobia-celluloid-closet-aids

The Elton John movie doesn't have this problem and is a very good film. It's obviously got a much, much better soundtrack too.
  • Also, when Mercury told the group he had AIDS, that scene explained what the film was all about. He didn't want the rest of his life to be about AIDS but his music.  
  • It was not a documentry so some truths were always going happen.

I thought it was great and Rami played Freddie to a tee.
  • I was actually really impressed with how closely matching the actors were for the characters of Brian May and John Deacon, especially their voice/look. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Watched it last night for the first time coincidentally. I thought it was disappointing. 

It has so much more impact watching it on the big cinema screen.

Funny how it comes across as a bit of an ITV Saturday night drama at home on the telly.

• cafctom said:
    I was actually really impressed with how closely matching the actors were for the characters of Brian May and John Deacon, especially their voice/look. 
    Brian May was particularly uncanny, but it did make me feel rather old though when I found out that the actor playing John Deacon was the little boy in the first Jurassic Park.