Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Memorable weather during games

Following the great threads recently on best and worst away games. With the multiple mentions of the iconic Yeovil game, what’s your most memorable football games involving weather? 

For me:

Obviously the Yeovil away game. People buying Bovril just to keep hands warm. Some sat back on the coaches after half hour. Had a mate who wore a wool fleece, instead of a coat. 

West Ham at home in PL days. Can’t remember the year, but was an evening game and the rain was ridiculous. Our season tickets at the time were Row D in East Stand and was absolutely soaked.

Bournemouth away (think it was first game of the season after league 1 champions year, but can’t be sure) and the sun was at its best. Pretty much everyone in the first few rows got burnt to a crisp. Then we all went down to the Hawaiian themed bar near the pier after the game for more sun.

Comments

• Swindon away in ‘98. Second to Yeovil.
  • Always remember a 0-0 draw with Hull in the Championship not too long ago

Was really surprised it didnt get called off - My season ticket is second row from the front in the East Stand and if the wind is in the right direction you really get soaked (which is what happened when we beat West Ham in those Premier League days), rarely do I scamper back to get shelter as dont mind the experience at games yet the Hull game was so wet I probably went back about ten rows to avoid it.

Remember too one player going in for a tackle (Cant remember who he played for) and slid right off the pitch
  • The abandoned game against Donny.

Was really surprised it didnt get called off - My season ticket is second row from the front in the East Stand and if the wind is in the right direction you really get soaked (which is what happened when we beat West Ham in those Premier League days), rarely do I scamper back to get shelter as dont mind the experience at games yet the Hull game was so wet I probably went back about ten rows to avoid it.

Remember too one player going in for a tackle (Cant remember who he played for) and slid right off the pitch
    That game came to my mind as well, surprisingly it was nearly 9 years ago!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/19304449
  • Friendly against Leyton Orient on a Friday abandoned after 5-10 minutes due to snow. I was there!
  • The West Ham night game, absolutely drenched but didn’t care as we won. 

Middlesboro in the cup, bloody freezing. 

Hottest ever at Sahara Beach Tunisia, May 1975, in our tournament with Millwall, Swindon and Bournemouth. https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/82976/charlton-in-tunisia-1975-and-1976

• iaitch said:
    The abandoned game against Donny.

Good call. The scene of Donny players using brooms to clear the pitch still makes me laugh. 
  • edited February 2021
    Not a Charlton game, but my only visit to Dartford's former Watling Street ground. A cup game against Bournemouth, and the terraces were covered in snow

My feet were frozen by the end of the match  :D
  • I know Yeovil away has been mentioned to death, but it was the most bizarre match I've ever been at. Had a beer in a big marquee with the bloke from Vicar of Dibley (no no no no yes, really) and then went out into the wind and rain, which was heavy and didn't relent at all. Goal kicks going out for corners and the wettest I have ever been - I imagine I was one of many that drove home in their pants.
    Got to the terrace after leaving that Bake Off Tent and within minutes this gust of wind was so strong it put me on my arse as couldnt grab the railing quickly enough - For some reason left the ground at half-time as needed the toilet and could only find one by the tent, my match ticket was so ruined from the rain I almost wasnt allowed back in
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a Charlton game, but my only visit to Dartford's former Watling Street ground. A cup game against Bournemouth, and the terraces were covered in snow

My feet were frozen by the end of the match  :D
    I was at that game too, it was freezing. I went with my old man and can remember him saying “what the fuck am I doing here” at one point.

This was the first game I took my daughter to. Wasn’t planning to but my mate called me in the morning to say him and his son couldn’t make it, did I want the tickets. 

Took toys & plenty of sweets but still spent most of the game answering the same question “when does it finish?” Think we lasted about 75 minutes before leaving 
  • Villa away in the prem.  Absolutely pissed down.  Great game & a great win
  • Newcastle away in '82(?) it rained all the way to the game, all through, and all the way back to the station - I was absolutely soaked through sat on the train home and my programme disintegrated... Yeovil and Swindon away games were probably the only two I've been at that were worse (though I was kept dry in the stand at Huish!).

Plymouth cup game in '80 was very windy - Paddy Powell scored direct from a corner and practically the whole game was played at one end.

Brighton (mickey mouse) cup game in mid-eighties was below freezing temperature all night and losing 3-0 didn't help!

Can't remember too many hot ones, though the Play off semi in 1998 at home versus Ipswich was a lovely warm night...
  • Millwall at The Valley, Good Friday 1977. I was standing on the East terrace in bright sunshine while it was snowing in the North West corner - there were a couple of police horses having a gallop to keep warm by that old grass bank with the goalposts on top. Strange day all round, we actually beat them.
  • Swindon away in ‘98. Second to Yeovil.
    Nearly lost a contact lense the rain was coming at us that hard. Managed to blink it back in,didn't fancy my chances on the magic roundabout with just one eye.
  • Forest at The Valley in a promotion season I think, they’d ripped us off on away tickets earlier in the season so we’d gotten away with charging them more than us for this game (might’ve be a cup game?) but it was proper pissing it down and we did then 4-1 or 4-2, Johnny Robinson got 1 or 2 if memory serves, cracking game...
  • Walsall at Selhurst in the FA Cup....1-0 up....lost 2-1. The coldest I've ever been at football. Pitch was frozen and these days the game would've been called off without a second thought. 
  • Pedro45 said:
    Newcastle away in '82(?) it rained all the way to the game, all through, and all the way back to the station - I was absolutely soaked through sat on the train home and my programme disintegrated... Yeovil and Swindon away games were probably the only two I've been at that were worse (though I was kept dry in the stand at Huish!).

Newcastle was Oct 1983....week after losing 7-0 in the rain at Brighton. Got home at 10.30pm and was still wet through. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bowyer has got his raincoat in case weather turns up there. He's taken his Fleetwood mac.
  • West Brom in the cup then I think again a night game a few years later
  • I think it’s got to be the Donny abandoned game - waterlogged pitch in August!

I once went to the Goldstone & it was so cold when I arrived at Brighton station that I bought a sweatshirt & bottoms to put on as an extra layer! 
  • Remember Super Clives pre season game against a foreign team? I recall it being one of the hottest days on record. Had a great day with beers in Greenwich before and after but so not I remember drinking pints of water between lots of beers. It was so hot.