Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stan and Ollie BBC1 8.25 Friday 19th

edited February 2021 in Not Sports Related
Excellent film, unusually on BBC1, just thought I'd mention it.

Comments

• Brilliant film.  Brilliant performances. Strongly recommend it.
  • The bus shelter scene is laugh out loud funny
  • Saw it at the cinema and thought it is an excellent film
  • Saw it at the cinema and really enjoyed it. Well worth seeing.
  • Saw the title & thought we were announcing our new manager & assistant live on tv...😄
  • really enjoyed this
  • My favourite Laurel & Hardy sketch is the one where they were trying to get a piano into a house with a very steep flight of steps......hilarious.😂
  • edited February 2021
    Stan and Ollie and the Marx brothers were magic for me as a kid. I also liked the Road films with Eltham's finest Bob Hope and the man who's last big hit was a golf ball, Bing Crosby.
  • Stan and Ollie and the Marx brothers were magic for me as a kid. I also liked the Road films with Eltham's finest Bob Hope and the man who last hit was a golf ball, Bing Crosby.
    ?....doesn’t make sense sam?
  • Sponsored links:

• My favourite Laurel & Hardy sketch is the one where they were trying to get a piano into a house with a very steep flight of steps......hilarious.😂
    Mine too. 'The Music Box'
  • I also Liked watching the keystone cops but not so much when the Charlton defence try to emulate them.

When Liverpool's new CB crashed into Allison outside the area against Leicester last week it was quintessential keystone cops; Very funny.
  • Thanks, not seen it before so watching it now.
  • Yeah great film. Love Laurel & Hardy. 
  • Missed it but watched a documentary about them once, where Stan Laurels telephone number was in the phone book, and if you called him he would chat to you, and lived in the same modest house for years.
  • Great film; the lead pair are fantastic.
  • Recorded it, and no adverts!
  • Just watched it.......great movie.
    Thanks for the heads up Covered End.
    😂👍👏
  • Thoroughly enjoyable - very poignant and brilliantly acted.

Also made me remember just how supremely funny they were.

Thanks for the heads up CE.
  • Excellent film - poignant being an apt description.
    Funny & sad a proper film.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Their seamless timing (as with all comedy), was all important, they had it off to a tee.
  • edited February 2021
    Stan and Ollie and the Marx brothers were magic for me as a kid. I also liked the Road films with Eltham's finest Bob Hope and the man who last hit was a golf ball, Bing Crosby.
    ?....doesn’t make sense sam?

What part SoundAsa£ ?

That Bob Hope was born in Eltham or that the man who's last big hit was a golf ball.   Unfortunately Bing Crosby's last big hit was on a golf course and he died hours later after leaving the 18th.
    I consider 1977 fair game for a comedic response even if it's at the old crooner's expense.

• The Bing Crosby joke has been doing the rounds since 1977.
  • surprisingly good film, shall have to watch it again. Enjoyed their films as a kid, but they probably haven't aged as well as Abbot and Costello films.
  • cafckev said:
    Saw it at the cinema and thought it is an excellent film
    Ditto.  A lovely film about a sad stage in the careers of two extremely funny men.
  • Deciding who was funnier out of Charlie Chaplin and Buster Keaton is as difficult as deciding who is the better footballer, Messi or Ronaldo. Yet, Keaton was decisive on the former question, stating, 'Chaplin wasn't the funniest. I wasn't the funniest. Stan Laurel was the funniest.'

I wish the BBC would show the Laurel and Hardy films again, as they did in the Eighties, otherwise these classics will fade into obscurity. 
    I would add the Marx Bros to that list of genius.
    Sadly, quite a few of the Marx Bros' films don't do justice to their talent.
  • edited February 2021
    Just finished watching, and what an excellent film. The acting was superb and the contrast in the two wives added to the strained relationship between Ollie and Stan. Quite sad but it captured the magic on stage even if it was about the end of their careers. 
    They really did receive a fantastic reception in Ireland and Stan the man from Ulverston, in Cumbria (Lancs, back in Stan's day)
    Was the polar opposite to his Character on stage and film.

• The Bing Crosby joke has been doing the rounds since 1977.

Very good CE.
    From memory I think the day after he died that joke was replicated up and down the country in 77.
  • Really enjoyed watching that.  Thanks for putting it on here