Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fleetwood v Charlton | Sat 20 Feb | 3pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Fleetwood Town v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 20th February 2021 ... 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Carl Boyeson

Introduction
Charlton will be looking to bounce back from yet another home defeat after losing 3-2 at Gillingham last Saturday.

They travel to the North West of England this weekend with the third best away record in the division. If you want promotion though both your home and away records need to be in sync and its pretty obvious that time is running out a bit too fast for that to suddenly turn around in what has been a season that has clearly lacked consistency; Fleetwood Town are the opponents this weekend, three points could stop this season from being all over, even at this early stage, even then it may not be enough.

The Opposition
Name: Fleetwood Town (15th) | Manager: Simon Grayson
Ground: Highbury Stadium
Previous Meeting: Charlton Athletic 3-2 Fleetwood Town

Nine clubs in this division, each of which have spent time in the National League dating back twenty years to when Charlton Athletic were enjoying the fruits of Premier League football, two of whom entered the Football League as young sides where they have remained ever since, so their encounters with the Addicks have been few and far between.

Fleetwood Town are one of those, a bit like Accrington Stanley down the road they've been formed on four different occasions, 1997 the most recent, unlike their Lancashire rivals this is only the current version of the club that have enjoyed life in the top four tiers of English Football, promotion to League Two was  achieved in 2012 (the same season Chris Powell made history in SE7) and after two seasons in League Two were be promoted to League One where they've remained ever since. As a result there have only been a handful of match ups between these two sides, most of those ending in drab draws apart from three games which has seen a victor, the Addicks coming out on top more often.

If you have to pick out one player that has enjoyed this particular fixture its Ched Evans, scored the winner in Fleetwood's only ever win against Charlton, and came close to a remarkable turn around after the Cod Army were dead and buried at the Valley, scoring two goals in quick succession... Thankfully both Evans and Barton have now departed Highbury with Simon Grayson (no stranger to that part of the world) now in charge, yet its been a sluggish start for Grayson with just six point obtained from a possible twenty four.

Of course there is always a health warning with these previews...

Grayson's sole win with Fleetwood came against Doncaster Rovers with the home side winning 3-1 on that particular occasion!!

Charlton Team News
Unfortunately there is potentially more to discuss this week compared with last; Firstly Akin Famewo has played in yet another U23 game as he steps up his return to fitness, a young Charlton side ultimately lost 4-3 at Princes Park to Swansea City with Albie Morgan and Alex Gilbey getting some additional game time. Elsewhere and Ryan Inniss appears to have stepped up his return to action having had a positive outcome on his latest scan - Jake Forster-Caskey was withdrawn against Gillingham last Saturday after struggling with a hamstring problem in training so could equally miss out this weekend.

Chuks Aneke will of course miss the fixture this weekend having been sent off last time out, you'd expect Ronnie Schwartz to deputise ahead of the top scorer, although Conor Washington is equally back in training now so could push for a first start since being withdrawn at Milton Keynes.

Amos
Gunter | Oshilaja | Pearce | Purrington
Jaiyesimi | Pratley | Shinnie | Millar
Washington | Stockley

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Maatsen | Matthews | Morgan | Smith | Schwartz | Watson

Prediction
As we slowly edge closer to the end of the season it looks more and more likely as though we'll be playing League One Football this time next season. If that is the case then you could argue that we should at the very least ensure that we go into next season with as much confidence and as many wins as possible. With a cloud hanging over both players and now the manager we could well be heading towards another period of uncertainty and rebuilding regardless of who is in what roles!!

Comments

• Referee Watch: Carl Boyeson

Has already taken charge of one Charlton game this season, that match coming at Portsmouth which saw four yellow cards being dished out (three to Charlton) with the Addicks running out 2-0 winners - He's taken charge of eighteen games in total this season with those games being a mixture of League One, League Two and cup games.

A total of 62-cards have been handed out by Boyeson, has yet to send any player off and has awarded three penalties

Statbank Performance from the Portsmouth game: 5.42
  • edited February 2021
    I'd expect to see us change formation for this game. Fleetwood seem to play a 4-2-3-1 / 4-3-3.

We have a flat 2-man central midfield with space in front of them and space in behind. In the 4-2-3-1, they'd have 2 ball-playing DMs in front of them, and either a CM to mark or an AM playing in behind. We'd be stretched  and they'd have the options to play through us.
  • edited February 2021
    Interesting fixture this one, Fleetwood aren't playing particularly well. 

They did however beat Doncaster 3-1 the other day. 

I see this being another chance for a Desmond in my head, but my heart says another 2-0 win.
    Washington & Schwartz to score. 

Amos

Matthews - Gunter - Oshilaja - Purrington

Jaiyesimi - Shinnie - Pratley - Millar

Stockley - Washington

Subs: M.Brewer, Maatsen, Pearce, Morgan, Smith, Gilbey, Schwartz.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I see this being another chance for a Desmond in my head, but my heart says another 2-0 win.

Amos

Stockley - Washington

Subs: M.Brewer, Maatsen, Pearce, Morgan, Smith, Watson, Schwartz.
    Sorry Dazz, but you lost me at "Washington and Schwartz to score"  ;)
  • Same result different day.
  • I wonder if the abolishion of the salary cap will see Watson being more or less involved.  He must be ticking near an automatic extra year?

Excluding that as a factor, there must be a temptation to go 433/451 and give the back 4 some proper protection?

I am not saying this is the team I would pick or the team I think he will pick, file it under "I wouldn't be surprised to see":

Amos

Gunter Oshilaja Pearce Purrington

Shinnie Pratley Watson
    DJ.                                            Millar
                          Stockley 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Amos

Stockley - Washington

Subs: M.Brewer, Maatsen, Pearce, Morgan, Smith, Watson, Schwartz.
    Sorry Dazz, but you lost me at "Washington and Schwartz to score"  ;)
    I mean Washington has proven he can score, and he's probably our best bet to partner Schwartz who seems to struggle with knockdowns and Washington passes to feet a lot. 

I wanted to start Washington and Schwartz, but don't know if Stockley would do the Aneke coming on late and dominating. He certainly can do the winning the ball bit and Washington will operate better off his shoulder when still full of beans. 
  • Another away day victory and a clean sheet. 

2-0
    Shinnie and Stockley.

• I've lost faith after Gillingham.
    Lee comes out and states how the oppo play in a certain way, but fails to overcome them and loses the mind games to that odious fat cnut.
    We are playing well in patches and putting moves together moves that are better than anything our opponents do and yet we seem incapable of stopping them waltz through us at will and/or scoring cheap goals the like of which are never handed to us.
    Lee said earlier in the season that he wasn't bothered if we let the oppo shoot from distance. How many more "worldies" must we concede before we rethink that one?
    Whenever I start to believe our form is turning around we contrive to lose football matches.
    I could do with having somebody with more analytical insight; Sage, Scoham, anybody?, to tell me how we are gonna turn this around.
    I'm starting to think that if Millar gets injured we'll struggle to stay top half
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I wonder if the abolishion of the salary cap will see Watson being more or less involved.  He must be ticking near an automatic extra year?

Excluding that as a factor, there must be a temptation to go 433/451 and give the back 4 some proper protection?

I am not saying this is the team I would pick or the team I think he will pick, file it under "I wouldn't be surprised to see":

Amos

Gunter Oshilaja Pearce Purrington

Shinnie Pratley Watson
    DJ.                                            Millar
                          Stockley 
    I’d pick that with Maatsen in for Purrington and Schwartz in for DJ and moved up front 
    comfortable 0-2 my team gets 
  • If Famewo doesn't start then I will be enraged. It was must win last week ffs. 
  • For the first time this season, I don’t care, so disappointed 😞 
  • "Not many teams are going to come here and lose 5-0. I think we're overachieving"
  • In the absence of Aneke, I'd probably play Stockley up front with Millar and DJ in forward positions just behind him.
  • Front 3 of Stockley, Washington and Schwartz?

No one fancying Famewo to start?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    If you want promotion though both your home and away records need to be in sync 
    worth pointing out that Rotherham and West Brom finished 2nd last year despite failing to win most of their home games.
  • edited February 2021
    Salad said:
    If you want promotion though both your home and away records need to be in sync 
    worth pointing out that Rotherham finished 2nd last year despite failing to win most of their home games.
    Win all your away games = 69pts (3 PPG) draw the home games = 23 pts (1 PPG) - Total 92 points. (2 PPG)

In reality we're achieving 1.54 PPG so could scrape 70/71 points

In the past 5 full seasons, that was enough points on just two occasions to make the playoffs. (We were one of those)

• No one fancying Famewo to start?
    Lols
  • Seem to be doing better away so that gives me some confidence.

I've no idea how this game will go, we're too inconsistent. 
  • Front 3 of Stockley, Washington and Schwartz?

No one fancying Famewo to start?
    No point rushing him back

• The dream team!
    But have a shave, Brownie, you're going on the telly ffs.
  • In the absence of Aneke, I'd probably play Stockley up front with Millar and DJ in forward positions just behind him.
    Why?
    How do you see this working in practice (genuine question, just assume I'm thick)
    Surely that would sacrifice width and encourage them to float around hoping to win second balls from hoofs up to Stockley
    Why?
    How do you see this working in practice (genuine question, just assume I'm thick)
    Surely that would sacrifice width and encourage them to float around hoping to win second balls from hoofs up to Stockley
    You can be just behind and wide at the same time, I assumed that's what he ment.  More attacking midfielders than wingers but not in a flat 5 either. 
  • we are playing them at the right time, their form has gone backwards since Barton was sacked .. we should win this, but I am putting none of my hard earned on us doing so
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    In the absence of Aneke, I'd probably play Stockley up front with Millar and DJ in forward positions just behind him.
    Why?
    You can be just behind and wide at the same time, I assumed that's what he ment.  More attacking midfielders than wingers but not in a flat 5 either. 
    Not a 4-3-3 then?
    I'd still be interested in how he see's the formation working