Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Athletes and their excessive salivation

Why do footballers on tv spit so much?

I am not a high performance athlete admittedly, but when i exercise i feel no need (zero need) to spit. Especially at the moment with COVID have they not been told to swallow rather than spit...?

... I mean it does my head in. It's like a tick to them i think. Do they some how think it makes them look like a cowboy or something? PLEASE someone explain why they are constantly spitting? 

My Dad, who is English, and therefore, you know, a bit of a lunatic, is convinced someone on the camera team has a specific role to capture images of footballers spitting for our entertainment "Spitcam".

In a local football match i once took up the matter with a young opposing striker who told me to get fcked. Not the cleverest thing he ever said as i am a pretty big and let's just say i am more Roy Keane than Marcus Maddison in my tackling style. 

Comments

• It’s clearing the nose that gets me. 
  • Have to confess, with regret and shame, but I have played a lot of football in my life and I have spat (and done that gross nose spitting thing!) probably a fair few times. 

Could probably have avoided doing it most of the occasions but when you’re running your body into the ground on a freezing cold rainy day your respiratory system massively feels it and it does sometimes really help as gross as it is. Adrenaline factor and just thinking about the moment and the physical battle you’re in also removes a lot of the thought processes / scruples you’d have about manners to stop you doing it ever in normal life!

Like everything some people feel it in different ways than others I guess so some probs won’t sympathise with that.

Agreed though, with covid in play here you’d have thought there’d be a bit more scrutiny on that side of things!
  • I find when I exercise vigorously that phlegm is released. It’s a byproduct of raising your metabolism. I don’t spit or blow it out through my nose I just swallow it. Maybe not pleasant for me but at least it doesn’t effect anyone else. 
    What’s way worse to me are the clouds of foul smelling e-cigarette vapour. It has triggered my asthma a couple of times.
  • It’s clearing the nose that gets me. 
    I always feel a shudder of disgust when I see footballers gobbling. Have never believed it's necessary - thats just utter bollocks.

Somewhat perversely though I find the fisherman's hankie hilarious a will literally laugh out loud if I see a good one. I think because its so audacious. 
  • Actually kinda wishing i hadn't started this thread now...feeling a bit squeamish.
  • Stig said:
    It’s clearing the nose that gets me. 
    I always feel a shudder of disgust when I see footballers gobbling. Have never believed it's necessary - thats just utter bollocks.

Somewhat perversely though I find the fisherman's hankie hilarious a will literally laugh out loud if I see a good one. I think because its so audacious. 
    @s@Stig Fishman's hankie ??? do you mean someone using their forearm to wipe their nose?

• I played football for 25 years and now run. I am a spitter and a snot blower. For me it comes with the exercise and without doing it I'd be sick from swallowing excessive spit and wouldn't be able to breath through a blocked nose.

I'm conscious of its impact on others when I'm running and if on the streets I make sure I'm out of sight and have become very skilled at flobbing and snotting directly into drains (when I played football, anywhere was fine).

Sorry Kiwi....
  • I played football for 25 years and now run. I am a spitter and a snot blower. For me it comes with the exercise and without doing it I'd be sick from swallowing excessive spit and wouldn't be able to breath through a blocked nose.

I'm conscious of its impact on others when I'm running and if on the streets I make sure I'm out of sight and have become very skilled at flobbing and snotting directly into drains (when I played football, anywhere was fine).

Sorry Kiwi....
    When you make it to hell, your mouth will be sewn shut and there will be a strong head wind.
  • Stig said:

@s@Stig Fishman's hankie ??? do you mean someone using their forearm to wipe their nose?

No, someone just blowing snot all over the place (usually using a finger to block one nostril to get more power in the other). Or, in the case of a real fisherman all over the plaice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:
    Stig said:

No, someone just blowing snot all over the place (usually using a finger to block one nostril to get more power in the other). Or, in the case of a real fisherman all over the plaice.
    Oh dear,... here we roe
  • edited February 2021
    I played football for 25 years and now run. I am a spitter and a snot blower. For me it comes with the exercise and without doing it I'd be sick from swallowing excessive spit and wouldn't be able to breath through a blocked nose.

Sorry Kiwi....
    It's definitely a fun game on long runs to attempt in motion, comes off 99% of the time I'd say.

P.s clearing the nose is a snot rocket 🚀
  • Sky never seem to apologise when they show it but hear a naughty word and they can't stop.
  • Some Pro golfers do it too. Dirty bastards. 
  • On a slightly different note, why do some managers feel it necessary to cram their mouths full of chewing gum and then chew with their mouths open?
    Big Sam is probably the biggest offender, and why TV producers feel we need close ups of this distrusting habit is beyond me.
  • Stig said:

So, now that you've seen two people who have spent their life playing active sport telling you about their exercise induced rhinitis, you going to change your mind? Or is it all bollocks still...? 😏

No argument about Golfers doing it though. Suspect Keegan Bradley is your prime example there - and he isn't spitting because of rhinitis, he's spitting because it's a habit (totally unrelated to exercise) 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I played football for 25 years and now run. I am a spitter and a snot blower. For me it comes with the exercise and without doing it I'd be sick from swallowing excessive spit and wouldn't be able to breath through a blocked nose.

Sorry Kiwi....
    It's definitely a fun game on long runs to attempt in motion, comes off 99% of the time I'd say.

P.s clearing the nose is a snot rocket 🚀
    I'm at about 80% for drains but 100% for roads (would never do either on a pavement).

Running regularly has also made my sense of speed and distance really accute. Even on a long run my estimate of both before checking the watch is spooky sometimes...
  • Redrobo said:
    On a slightly different note, why do some managers feel it necessary to cram their mouths full of chewing gum and then chew with their mouths open?
    Big Sam is probably the biggest offender, and why TV producers feel we need close ups of this distrusting habit is beyond me.
    That Brentford manager is the worst one.
  • Redrobo said:
    On a slightly different note, why do some managers feel it necessary to cram their mouths full of chewing gum and then chew with their mouths open?
    I imagine sitting opposite Big Sam for a 3 course meal must be a horrific experience. All washed down with a few pints of wine of course.

I've made a conscious effort not to spit now when running which I did struggle with at first. I'm also carrying a tissue for the snot rockets these days!
  • Stig said:

So, now that you've seen two people who have spent their life playing active sport telling you about their exercise induced rhinitis, you going to change your mind? Or is it all bollocks still...? 😏

No argument about Golfers doing it though. Suspect Keegan Bradley is your prime example there - and he isn't spitting because of rhinitis, he's spitting because it's a habit (totally unrelated to exercise) 
    Happy to accept your first hand testimony, still highly sceptical about the 40% figure. A bit like cyclists claiming asthma.

I believe that habit is far more explanatory for footballers just as it is golfers. Just take a look at how many feel the need to empty themselves as they are being substituted on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stig said:

Have frequently seen Tiger and DJ doing it too. Agree it must just be a habit for them. 
  • Loads of footballers use snus while they play, which adds to the issue. 
  • Loads of footballers use snus while they play, which adds to the issue
    Top punning!
  • No idea why but all that nasal shit builds up playing 11 a side outdoors. 

For truly a stomach churning example I always go back to Frank Rijkaard summoning up a gronny from the depths when Van Bruckelin and Voller were having a go at each other in 1990. He then keeps hold of the green slimy missile and fires it as Voller as he jogs away, hits him right in the ear. 

• edited February 2021
    If you want the science around spitting during physical activity:

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/why-do-i-produce-so-much-saliva-when-i-go-for-a-run/#:~:text=All exercise, regardless of the,you can get after exercising.

That thicker saliva will generate a desire to spit it out during activity. (Imagine running with a constant gross thick saliva in your mouth) 
  • If you have rhinitis just being out in the colder air can get you spitting and snot rocking, no matter what you're doing .  I got a bad case of rhinitis on the bike last November, did some gardening the next week and my nose didn't stop running.  I try to spit only when no one's around though.

Anyways Stig I have asthma, and from personal experience backed up by multiple studies asthma steroids have no improving effect from healthy baseline on performance.  As for a pro who rides 45-50 hours a week, 500 miles per week, with about 3-5% body fat, it's pretty likely they'll be open to infection/irritants in the airways.  And yes that would easily lead to a reduction in lung performance/output, whereby a doctor would diagnose asthma.  Now I'm not saying there isn't over diagnosis for asthma in pro cycling, but analysis of the 'Jason Cundy' school of sports blowhard blockheads is pre-kindergarten in it's accuracy or logic:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/the-truth-about-cycling-and-asthma-317941/amp

• edited February 2021
    ColinTat said:
    If you have rhinitis just being out in the colder air can get you spitting and snot rocking, no matter what you're doing .  I got a bad case of rhinitis on the bike last November, did some gardening the next week and my nose didn't stop running.  I try to spit only when no one's around though.

Anyways Stig I have asthma, and from personal experience backed up by multiple studies asthma steroids have no improving effect from healthy baseline on performance.  As for a pro who rides 45-50 hours a week, 500 miles per week, with about 3-5% body fat, it's pretty likely they'll be open to infection/irritants in the airways.  And yes that would easily lead to a reduction in lung performance/output, whereby a doctor would diagnose asthma.  Now I'm not saying there isn't over diagnosis for asthma in pro cycling, but analysis of the 'Jason Cundy' school of sports blowhard blockheads is pre-kindergarten in it's accuracy or logic:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/the-truth-about-cycling-and-asthma-317941/amp
    Similar for endurance running athletes. A good number of Ultra runners report having asthma... It's a strange one. 

Personally regular exercise alleviates my asthma, it comes and goes for me in line with my  fitness, though I am far from an ultra runner.

• Stig said:
    Stig said:

Happy to accept your first hand testimony, still highly sceptical about the 40% figure. A bit like cyclists claiming asthma.

I believe that habit is far more explanatory for footballers just as it is golfers. Just take a look at how many feel the need to empty themselves as they are being substituted on.
    Ah. Another trope. Cyclists and drugs. You'll find there are studies that show cyclists and distance runners are more prone to developing asthma than non endurance athletes (and other people, including lazy fuckers who can't walk from the sofa to the fridge without a rest stop but find it dead easy to criticise people...)

I race against loads of riders - young and old - who have asthma. Pretty sure they're not getting a benefit from salbutamol (already proven not to enhance performance). You might be confusing asthma with seasonal allergies (hay fever), for which you can get steroidal medication which requires a Therapeutic Use Exemption for all cycling (including the amateur level I ride at) though of course, in practice, you're very unlikely to be tested as a 2/3 cat rider - I've only ever had testers at one race, and it was obviously targeted at a specific rider following a tip off. Coincidentally, I used to take one of the substances in question in the form of an injection (Kenalog) every few years when my hay fever flared up. No question, of course, of there being any drug testing whatsoever for me to have been concerned about in football..... 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    ColinTat said:
    If you have rhinitis just being out in the colder air can get you spitting and snot rocking, no matter what you're doing .  I got a bad case of rhinitis on the bike last November, did some gardening the next week and my nose didn't stop running.  I try to spit only when no one's around though.

Similar for endurance running athletes. A good number of Ultra runners report having asthma... It's a strange one. 

Personally regular exercise alleviates my asthma, it comes and goes for me in line with my  fitness, though I am far from an ultra runner.

I was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. Brought on when I was training for a marathon. Apart from inhalers etc the best way to manage this is by aerobic exercise!
  • Stig said:
    Stig said:

Ah. Another trope. Cyclists and drugs. You'll find there are studies that show cyclists and distance runners are more prone to developing asthma than non endurance athletes (and other people, including lazy fuckers who can't walk from the sofa to the fridge without a rest stop but find it dead easy to criticise people...)

I race against loads of riders - young and old - who have asthma. Pretty sure they're not getting a benefit from salbutamol (already proven not to enhance performance). You might be confusing asthma with seasonal allergies (hay fever), for which you can get steroidal medication which requires a Therapeutic Use Exemption for all cycling (including the amateur level I ride at) though of course, in practice, you're very unlikely to be tested as a 2/3 cat rider - I've only ever had testers at one race, and it was obviously targeted at a specific rider following a tip off. Coincidentally, I used to take one of the substances in question in the form of an injection (Kenalog) every few years when my hay fever flared up. No question, of course, of there being any drug testing whatsoever for me to have been concerned about in football..... 
    Ah. Another trope. Fat people and fridges. You'll find that some of us can run endless relays to the fridge barely stopping for breath, save to criticise people ;)

Seriously though, you've got me banged to rights. Fair play to you.

Now, about this 60% that don't have induced rhinitis...