Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London Marathon 2021

Ballot results out today and no joy for me for the 7th year in a row. Anyone have any better luck or planning on running for charity? I'll try for a charity place but the one I want to run for has a limited number of places and I've had no joy there either for the last 3 years!

Also the event blurb reckons up to 50k participants but can't imagine that happening unless vaccines really do their thing.

Comments

• edited February 2021
    Guess it was always going to be harder for any new entries into the 2021 | 2022 | 2023 events.

I was in the 2020 Marathon yet with that being cancelled they basically gave anyone with an entry in last year the choice of going into one of the three mentioned Marathons - I chose 2022 (which I'm in), but know if everyone had tried getting in 2021 then they were planning a ballot to separate entries across the next three years.

Because of the hassle of dealing with those who had a 2020 place, the ballot for new entries was already going to even harder as they probably had up to 50% less spaces 
  • I think its now nigh on impossible to get in via ballot. First time I did it was lucky enough to be when they still had a guaranteed place if you were rejected for so many years...second time I did it was on a charity spot (through work). I think that's now really the only route in if you want to plan around a specific year...
  • When is the 2021 race expected to happen? 
  • edited February 2021
    Rothko said:
    When is the 2021 race expected to happen? 
    Sunday 3rd October
  • edited February 2021
    I think its now nigh on impossible to get in via ballot. First time I did it was lucky enough to be when they still had a guaranteed place if you were rejected for so many years...second time I did it was on a charity spot (through work). I think that's now really the only route in if you want to plan around a specific year...
    Last time I entered the ballot was my 6th, 7th or 8th entry... I got in to the 2019 LM.

It's a pain, you're better off trying to find a charity with a reasonable fundraising target and especially one without an enforced pledge to meet the target.  Do not go for a CRUNCH space as they're pretty forceful on the target. 
  • Another failed ballot entry for me, third time. Definitely agree that if you want to get in for a specific year, a charity spot is the way forward- albeit some of the fundraising targets are honestly absurd. 
  • edited February 2021
    Or of course support other Marathons.... Florence is my favourite (If you want an overseas one), then London. I hate Brighton as have injured myself every time I have run it and I blame the heavy camber of the roads (especially the hill out to Ovingdean) 
  • I've got a place for this year via my running club
  • My youngest is in this year - he had a place last year so it carried over.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you dont get in London, there are plenty of other marathons to run.

I ran Paris, Amsterdam, Brighton and two relatively small, local marathons before I got to run London.  I marshalled at Cutty Sark with my run club 4 years in a row to get a chance of winning one of three club spots we had.

Annoyingly, I was in the ballot the year the guaranteed spot the year after was scrapped.  Missed out on 7 consecutive ballots before I got a club place and decided to not enter the ballot again after to give others a chance, unlike various club mates that seemed to get a place every bloody year and they wasnt even a GFA qualifier.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    If you dont get in London, there are plenty of other marathons to run.

I ran Paris, Amsterdam, Brighton and two relatively small, local marathons before I got to run London.  I marshalled at Cutty Sark with my run club 4 years in a row to get a chance of winning one of three club spots we had.

Annoyingly, I was in the ballot the year the guaranteed spot the year after was scrapped.  Missed out on 7 consecutive ballots before I got a club place and decided to not enter the ballot again after to give others a chance, unlike various club mates that seemed to get a place every bloody year and they wasnt even a GFA qualifier.
     Just remembered my Marathon PB is comfortably under the GFA time for a 60 year old man or an 18-39 woman. It's still faster than most of the people I know, but slower than it should have been. 

Were Paris and Amsterdam fast courses @JohnBoyUK? I'd love to do a nice fast flat course for my next one.

• Dazzler21 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Just remembered my Marathon PB is comfortably under the GFA time for a 60 year old man or an 18-39 woman. It's still faster than most of the people I know, but slower than it should have been. 

Were Paris and Amsterdam fast courses @JohnBoyUK? I'd love to do a nice fast flat course for my next one.

Paris is reasonably fast, but numbers have increased now.  Amsterdam had a bitch or a route up a canal and back, was a bit brain numbing - would certainly remind you of mile 19-24 at Brighton.

Would recommend Berlin over all the European marathons.  Sadly was injured and missed my place in 2015 but still went over there to support the rest of the team (would have wasted my flight/accommodation otherwise!).  Our club does Berlin as an annual trip and its always a good turn out.  Such a fast, flat course and certainly a PB course.  Was gutted I missed my chance.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:

Paris is reasonably fast, but numbers have increased now.  Amsterdam had a bitch or a route up a canal and back, was a bit brain numbing - would certainly remind you of mile 19-24 at Brighton.

Would recommend Berlin over all the European marathons.  Sadly was injured and missed my place in 2015 but still went over there to support the rest of the team (would have wasted my flight/accommodation otherwise!).  Our club does Berlin as an annual trip and its always a good turn out.  Such a fast, flat course and certainly a PB course.  Was gutted I missed my chance.
    Cheers for that, we have friends in Berlin so could well be a goer once some level of normality returns. 
  • Managed to get a charity place for this year and it'll be my first marathon. Have entered the ballot a couple of times before without success and actually applied to the charity for last year's race. Got a call last week asking if I was still keen and thought it was a wind-up! Very pleased to get in at last even though the sponsorship amount is high. Will be the only event I do this year so hopefully will be able to hit the target and my view is they've missed out on almost a year of fundraising so need all the help they can get at the moment.
  • edited February 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think its now nigh on impossible to get in via ballot. First time I did it was lucky enough to be when they still had a guaranteed place if you were rejected for so many years...second time I did it was on a charity spot (through work). I think that's now really the only route in if you want to plan around a specific year...
    Last time I entered the ballot was my 6th, 7th or 8th entry... I got in to the 2019 LM.

It's a pain, you're better off trying to find a charity with a reasonable fundraising target and especially one without an enforced pledge to meet the target.  Do not go for a CRUNCH space as they're pretty forceful on the target. 
    I used CRUNCH in 2019 and was all good.  £1500 total fundraising target for Guys and St Thomas'.  If your company provides match funding (I was lucky they did) then £750 fundraising should be OK via friends and family.  What a day it was and so glad I forced myself to do it.  Amazing experience running through my home town.  
  • edited February 2021
    BalladMan said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I used CRUNCH in 2019 and was all good.  £1500 total fundraising target for Guys and St Thomas'.  If your company provides match funding (I was lucky they did) then £750 fundraising should be OK via friends and family.  What a day it was and so glad I forced myself to do it.  Amazing experience running through my home town.  
    I work for a charity and have previously worked for Charitable trusts and each company has refused to assist the fundraising of other charities, despite none of them getting places at the bigger events!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    BalladMan said:
    Dazzler21 said:

I work for a charity and have previously worked for Charitable trusts and each company has refused to assist the fundraising of other charities, despite none of them getting places at the bigger events
    that seems a bit mean spirited.   I have spent most of my life in much smaller companies who do not offer matched funding.  It is pretty standard in the city so I was in the right place at the right time.  My point about CRUNCH remains valid, the website is shocking, but the process is fair and transparent.  You have to raise the required fundraising target which seems proportionate when you consider this is a major stream of revenue for the smaller charities and the golden bond places are not cheap. 
  • Just had an email confirming I've managed to get a charity place this year with Great Ormond St. Extremely happy with that as been trying to get a place with them for the last few years.

• seen posts and adverts for charities offering places if you meet their minimum fundraising levels.

This is for entries in the VIRTUAL marathon?

Wtf? You’re literally going out for a run! 
  • Sponsored links:

• For anyone that doesn't get a place, this seems a decent alternative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/56720358
  • For anyone that doesn't get a place, this seems a decent alternative.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/56720358
    Followed Courtney Duwalter doing this last year, insane event.

Her and guys like Cam Hanes doing crazy shit makes me feel like such a bitch haha. The Bigfoot 200 is insanity as well
  • The barkley marathon is the one! 
  • Are their any fellow Lifers running in this on Sunday? Hope all has gone well with the training if you are!

A few changes in the name of social distancing that aren't all that helpful to the runners, especially the no bag drops on the day and 1 supporter limit. The latter makes such a big difference when you see friends and family around the course. Ultimately though just grateful it's going ahead.
  • Are their any fellow Lifers running in this on Sunday? Hope all has gone well with the training if you are!

A few changes in the name of social distancing that aren't all that helpful to the runners, especially the no bag drops on the day and 1 supporter limit. The latter makes such a big difference when you see friends and family around the course. Ultimately though just grateful it's going ahead.
    My youngest, Danny, is running for Leukemia Care. Lifers supported him for the scheduled running last year - thank you again.  

How will the one supporter rule work? My wife, eldest son and me, together with Danny's fiance and her family will be in London to cheer him on.
  • edited September 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Are their any fellow Lifers running in this on Sunday? Hope all has gone well with the training if you are!

My youngest, Danny, is running for Leukemia Care. Lifers supported him for the scheduled running last year - thank you again.  

How will the one supporter rule work? My wife, eldest son and me, together with Danny's fiance and her family will be in London to cheer him on.
    No idea how they are going to manage that other than they have said they'll disperse larger groups when they see them. I think they have said it in a hope to deter people having a coach load turn up to support someone. How they'll know 4 or 5 people are all there to support 1 runner I'll never know. It's pretty much unenforceable.

My missus is adamant she wants to be there with my boys as do my mum and dad. I'm running this for Great Ormond Street which helped one of my boys when he was younger so I'm desperate for him and his brother to be there at the end.
  • I dont understand... I could go to Wembley and see England play tonight with as many friends / family as I'd like in a sell out game... Those friends and family couldnt then stick together to see someone running the Marathon - Like a lot of things, doesnt make sense.
  • bobmunro said:
    Are their any fellow Lifers running in this on Sunday? Hope all has gone well with the training if you are!

No idea how they are going to manage that other than they have said they'll disperse larger groups when they see them. I think they have said it in a hope to deter people having a coach load turn up to support someone. How they'll know 4 or 5 people are all there to support 1 runner I'll never know. It's pretty much unenforceable.

My missus is adamant she wants to be there with my boys as do my mum and dad. I'm running this for Great Ormond Street which helped one of my boys when he was younger so I'm desperate for him and his brother to be there at the end.
    We intend to be first in Charlton as he runs past, then somewhere in Docklands, and finally at or close to the finish.