Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    bloody Labour council, oh that's right...

The mismanagement there must be off the scale considering the levels of cuts and closures they were prepared to do in the last 10 years. 
  • Options
    It’s hardly associated with inner city problems either is it.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    bloody Labour council, oh that's right...

The mismanagement there must be off the scale considering the levels of cuts and closures they were prepared to do in the last 10 years. 
    Have I been wooshed? It's Tory run.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Maybe the top brass there will take a pay cut......
  • Options
    Sarcasm.
  • Options
    of the four being bailed only Bexley is Tory run I believe, 

Hard to fathom how Bexley got it so wrong, not exactly a poor area.

Lewisham are looking at how to make 40m of cuts.
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Lewisham should increase my council tax.
    If we want it, we ought to pay for it....all of us according to our means.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Well my bins haven't been collected this week!
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    seth plum said:
    Lewisham should increase my council tax.
    If we want it, we ought to pay for it....all of us according to our means.
    they are, 6% subject to GLA approval I think. So band D up around £100.

Greenwich where I am is similar, about 5% proposed.

EDIT. Part of the issue with Council Tax and rises is it's assumed your ability to pay is based on the size/value of your house. I know many people in say Band D/E who a large % rise will be very uncomfortable and others in B who wouldn't even notice.
  • Options
    Surprised at the sum involved - £3.87m. Surely that's peanuts for a Council the size of Bexley?
  • Options
    The local MP Abena Opponson-Asare brought this up on PMQs recently. 

As MP for Thamesmead and Erith she serves constituents in Tory Bexley and Labour Greenwich.  Both have major problems.  Her question can be heard here as can the usual Boris contempt in his reply.

https://www.express.co.uk/videos/6224457111001/PMQs-Boris-Johnson-responds-to-council-tax-criticism

• Options
    Central Government cuts year on year. 
  • Options
    How much does southall owe them ? 
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    Doesn’t really matter as he’s never going to pay it anyway.🤨
  • Options
    lolwray said:
    £3.87m
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2021
    Are the other three councils in a better state, financially, than Tory run Bexley? The other three seem to have escaped the wrath of everyone.
    don't ruin the narrative BBW
    Genuinely interested. Not suggesting there's a narrative at play but does seem somewhat odd that 75% of the miscreants have been completely ignored. I also get the soon to be mooted 'locality' argument, but that still doesn't mean you ignore 75% of the issue......also the other 150 or so councils that say they are massively under threat as well.
  • Options
    The original post mentioned Bexley which is nearer to Charlton than any other troubled councils. Hence interest was aroused here on Charlton life.
    This is not the BBC where 'balance' is a demand, but local comparisons and experience  is something not unexpected given the thread title.
    People are at liberty to start threads about other local authorities and see what response it gets on Charlton Life if they wish.
  • Options
    I have updated my post to highlight/embolden the locality argument bit.
  • Options
    Are the other three councils in a better state, financially, than Tory run Bexley? The other three seem to have escaped the wrath of everyone.
    "Why are you all talking about a London council, you should be talking about Peterborough"
  • Options
    "Why are you all talking about a London council, you should be talking about Peterborough"
    Said nobody, ever!!

This isn't the first time you've quoted something that I haven't said or inferred. Care to expand on this one? You disappeared after I pointed this out to you last time.
  • Options
    The millions spent on that cycle lane did not help, I have never seen a cyclist on it.
    Nor me, not once. Absolutely crazy. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Said nobody, ever!!

This isn't the first time you've quoted something that I haven't said or inferred. Care to expand on this one? You disappeared after I pointed this out to you last time.
    "The other three seem to have escaped the wrath of everyone."

1. I don't see much wrath on the page. 
    2. Maybe a London council is somewhere where people on here actually have a stake in and care about. 
    3. THE TITLE IS LITERALLY BAIL OUT FOR BEXLEY. 
    4. If you want to talk about councils being run generally, is it not better to go on the house of commons page and slag off labour run councils there? 
  • Options
    Said nobody, ever!!

"The other three seem to have escaped the wrath of everyone."

1. I don't see much wrath on the page. 
    2. Maybe a London council is somewhere where people on here actually have a stake in and care about. 
    3. If you want to talk about councils being run generally, is it not better to go on the house of commons page and slag off labour run councils there? 
    1. You wouldn't.
    2. See the highlighted bit in the post you have taken a weird opposition to.
    3. I try and stay away from that place, but thanks all the same. Also wasn't looking to slag of any political party. Just asked why one council was being singled out but may have answered that myself when I mentioned locality.

Feel free to get back to only posting really depressing stuff.