Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dartford v Welling

In the National League South game yesterday Dartford had 7 former Welling players start the game with a further 3 on the bench.

Comments

• Didn't realise how rock bottom Welling were in the league. 
  • Yes they had a good season 2 years ago, lost in the play off final & I think all of their players left & they had to start from scratch & have struggled since.
  • 2-2 yesterday.
  • In the National League South game yesterday Dartford had 7 former Welling players start the game with a further 3 on the bench.
    Plus an ex Welling manager in charge. 
  • 2-2 yesterday.
    Yes Welling were winning 2-0
  • Absolute joke they’re even playing 
  • Absolute joke they’re even playing 
    Why ?
    Because what damage is being done to clubs at that level with effectively no income?
  • one of my best pals is part time groundsman and radio commentator for welling Utd
  • edited February 2021
    @falconwood_1 (or anyone else) how are these clubs at these levels managing to pay salaries when they struggle at the best of times?
  • @falconwood_1 (or anyone else) how are these clubs at these levels managing to pay salaries when they struggle at the best of times?

Good question, quite a few teams are looking to end the season in the NL South and North because the promised "grants" from HMG haven't materialised, instead they are being offered loans which many clubs are refusing to accept. So instead they want to furlough players. Can't speak for Dirtford or Welling, I know Dulwich want to end the season and make it null and void. Maidstone too. For the Fleet, well the Dr. is still paying the bills, despite what everyone said last year and we're clear that we want to play on.

It's quite a poor situation as certain teams lobbied to be allowed to play last season, to be classified as elite, only for them to be moaning now about carrying on. All leagues below NLs/N have stopped and I would assume players have been furloughed.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    @falconwood_1 (or anyone else) how are these clubs at these levels managing to pay salaries when they struggle at the best of times?
    So many clubs are run on different models (some no business model, just hand to mouth, week by week).

Currently, there is grant money available for our level (upto £10.5k) so am finishing off our application this week.

I will be surprised if the Conference South finishes this season as some clubs (Surprisingly Dulwich being one) can't afford to carry on, but there are all sorts of shenanigans going on regarding getting more grants. Seems like Sport England now have a scheme just opened....

We've been lucky at Erith Town, from Day 1 we've had very loyal sponsors, added with management and volunteers putting in a lot of work just for the love of it means we can have a solid competitive squad each season and together with our community scheme and succesful youth section help grow and improve the club each season.

When I hear of the money players are on in our league and going up the levels, I just don't know how some are still in business. Unfortunately, people now think ambition is just another word for cash.
  • So essentially Conf North / South etc are being maintained this season with players on usual salary but no real income, with owners having to provide the shortfall to keep it operational?
  • So essentially Conf North / South etc are being maintained this season with players on usual salary but no real income, with owners having to provide the shortfall to keep it operational?
    Seems like it’s on a knife edge to be honest 
    Basically, yes
  • edited February 2021
    DA9 said:
    one of my best pals is part time groundsman and radio commentator for welling Utd
    Mr "don't sit on the wall"? 

sorry thats the pitchside announcer, my mistake.
  • Hal1x said:
    DA9 said:
    one of my best pals is part time groundsman and radio commentator for welling Utd
    Mr "don't sit on the wall"? 

sorry thats the pitchside announcer, my mistake.
      Nigel Jones, went to school together, my daughters godfather, he used to be the traffic and sidekick guy on radio thamesmead breakfast show many years ago.
  • Dartford second, Welling bottom. Absolutely zero continuity at Welling. Goldberg has a revolving door policy for players and staff. No surprise at all that Dartford are flourishing with seven ex-Welling players and the manager who took them to the play-offs in 2019. Such a shame.