Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swindon Town on Brink of Collapse: Lee Power

"The money from DJ will keep this club alive until the end of February and that’s the position the football club’s in at this moment in time."

Comments

• Lee Power is not a popular man up there.  Sadly Covid hasn't helped the situation but they were in trouble a while ago and he hasn't covered himself in glory there
  • farnell/mouthall/elliotttttt/the dentist are on standby
  • I wonder how many other EFL are in severe financial trouble?
  • What time will Farnell turn up?

Joking aside its really sad and I doubt they are the only ones. 

Does anyone know how Lee Power actually made his money?  2 years as an agent doesn't seem to be long enough and I doubt he made serious money when he was playing? 
  • I find it amazing really that more clubs aren't on the brink. Zero fans for almost a year now 
  • Awful situation.  
  • They’ve been a club who’ve been on the edge for a long time, couple of administrations.

stunned no club has gone pop yet 
  • When are L1 clubs getting the funding from the Premier League?

• If Swindon Town do go under that would leave a town of a quarter of a million people without a League club.

• Sponsored links:

• When are L1 clubs getting the funding from the Premier League?
    They have I think
  • Rothko said:
    They’ve been a club who’ve been on the edge for a long time, couple of administrations.

stunned no club has gone pop yet 
    Won’t be long - when one does, a few will follow.
  • Terrible news. Hope it comes good for them.
  • I'm amazed there haven't been more financial issues in L1 and L2, or day I say it fire sales of players in January
  • Awful news. Hope to heaven it works out for them
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I'm amazed there haven't been more financial issues in L1 and L2, or day I say it fire sales of players in January
    Did anyone have one?  I didn't notice if they did.  Crewe sold 2 of their better players but got one back on loan.  Bradford got rid of a lot of their dead wood. 

It would be very counter productive if a club went bust because a Charlton or Sunderland, for example, couldn't take one of their players due to the salary cap. 
    That’s a very good point. Does the cap get reviewed or is it here to stay
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I'm amazed there haven't been more financial issues in L1 and L2, or day I say it fire sales of players in January
    Did anyone have one?  I didn't notice if they did.  Crewe sold 2 of their better players but got one back on loan.  Bradford got rid of a lot of their dead wood. 

It would be very counter productive if a club went bust because a Charlton or Sunderland, for example, couldn't take one of their players due to the salary cap. 
    That’s a very good point. Does the cap get reviewed or is it here to stay
    Any club to propose to increase/scrap it at the AGM then its a straight vote between the members of that league.  
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Extremely good way of looking at the cap... Whilst its sensible in some ways and has saved clubs in one regard, a lot could well have sealed their demise with it
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

Extremely good way of looking at the cap... Whilst its sensible in some ways and has saved clubs in one regard, a lot could well have sealed their demise with it
    Great thinking there by the EFL.

Power  - " oi Steve, we have a player here that might suit you if you have the reddies. We're on our arse here & could do with some money to keep the club going"

Gallen  - " Love to help you Lee. Our owner has got millions for us to spend but we are up to the max with the salary cap"

Power  - " you sure Steve. He's only a young lad, only wants £2k per week"

Gallen - " sorry Lee, we've only got £500 wk spare. No can do"

Week later Swindon goes bust. 

How the fuck does that help anyone. Answers on a postcard to EFL.
    Answers on a postcard to the clubs who voted it in... not the EFL

Once again the Football clubs have proven that they look at things in such a short sighted manner

Could well be a reason why the Championship sides turned down the chance to introduce a Salary Cap themselves - Like Roland used to say, that Division is a mine field of clubs just throwing money at trying to reach the Premier League and cant sustain it.

If they have to get rid of players (in contract) because they suddenly get into trouble, they themselves wont be able to.

And its an issue thats probably worse the higher you go
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Does anyone know how Lee Power actually made his money?  2 years as an agent doesn't seem to be long enough and I doubt he made serious money when he was playing? 
    He had a publishing business which produced the programmes for various football clubs (including Rangers, I think) but that went bust. He also owned racehorses, but no Derby winners as far as a I know. 

I think he's generally a bit "sharp" and gets involved in various "deals" - nothing ventured nothing gained, speculate to accumulate, etc.

A proper Brockley lad!
  • A bit sad that a player who wore our shirt on one of the greatest days in our history is potentially leading a club to the brink. But at least he helped to keep Pardew out of the line-up.
    You make it sound like he's doing it deliberately or there has been some wrongdoing. Has there?

• Was the vote for the cap secret or is there a list of for and against?
  • edited February 2021
    Surely if Swindon go bust, they’ll be pressure on the EFL to scrap the salary cap next Season and not even have a vote?
  • Was the vote for the cap secret or is there a list of for and against?
    I don't think there is a list but most clubs were quite vocal about it at the time.

It's pretty clear, from a quick Google, that clubs who's wage bill was less than the cap think it's a brilliant idea and those who's is/was higher don't agree.

Reason #3864 the wage cap is stupid.  Next season (assuming we are still in league 1 and the wage cap increases). 

Next season Albie Morgan will count, and count as the league average, or less (no idea what he is on but I doubt its much).  Say a Lincoln, possibly the smallest club in the championship fancy him, and make it known they will pay him 5k a week in January. We can't give him a pay rise, because of the cap.

How is that right?  How is that fair?  I wonder if Accrington Stanley will be so keen on it when St Mirran and Motherwell start tapping their players up for 3k a week. 
  • Surely if Swindon go bust, they’ll be pressure on the EFL to scrap the salary cap next Season and not even have a vote?
    Or maybe they would have gone bust earlier by paying more wages they can’t cover.