Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Right Hammerings

Southampton losing 9-0 (again) a couple of nights ago led me to wonder when we last conceded nine goals in a game. According to the record books our heaviest defeat is 11-1 but does anyone know if we've been mullered since then? I was saying that in my time of watching we've only conceded six on one occasion that I can think of (6-1 vs Leeds in 2003) but dont recall us ever letting in seven or more.

Edit, just remembered we lost 6-0 to Hull back in 2016 when that clown fraye was in charge, although not sure that should count.

Comments

• Options
    We let in 7 at Brighton & Luton in the 70's.
  • Options
    The Watford 5-0 felt like a 9-0 and then some!
  • Options
    That was Luzon's first game I think.
  • Options
    Before my time,  just the two six goal defeats I can think of in my time. 
  • Options
    drewman said:
    I think the game after Watford was his first, there was a mess up with his work visa or something if I remember rightly. 
  • Options
    I was at the Brighton game, my first away game outside London. 5 0 down at half time and it was pissing down. I think Jimmy Case scored a hat trick.
  • Options
    The Hull 6-0 is the least I’ve ever seen of a match once entering a stadium.

Me n a pal was in O’Neill’s in Kings Cross at 8:30am got to hull about noon.  During the match we went downstairs to the concourse for a beer when it got to 3-0 about half hour in, stayed down there hearing the 4th go in before HT, then carried on drinking hearing the 5th go in second half, which was when we decided to piss off, went to a working mans club the other side of the industrial area till our train was due I remember it was about £1.80 a pint.

Still made it to bridge bar that night in Beckenham, I’ll let you do the maths for hours of sesh, was necessary watching that side.
  • Options
    Mike Tyson dished out a few.
  • Options
    that for me i think was our worst hammering I ever witnessed. Don't believe we had a manager at the time and tbf the bloke coming in wouldn't of made any difference. 

bloody disgrace how we played that day. "We want Roland out, say we want Roland out"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    drewman said:
    Would have been if he'd had a work permit.  The disorganisation under Meire was something to behold.
  • Options
    Charlton 9 Apoel Nicosia 0, a night to remember 
  • Options
    In my early 20s, i still held out hopes of playing semi-pro -pro. i played at RB and played in an exhibition match, was on the end of a 7-0 hammering. Went home that night cried like a baby, knew i was miles off. Never ever forgot it, even in my 40s i would replay the game just before i went to sleep.
  • Options
    Been there, seen that - my write up of an away trip I'd rather forget:

https://heathermckinlay.com/why-i-hate-luton/
  • Options
    Losing to Leeds 6-1 at home.
  • Options

Me n a pal was in O’Neill’s in Kings Cross at 8:30am got to hull about noon.  During the match we went downstairs to the concourse for a beer when it got to 3-0 about half hour in, stayed down there hearing the 4th go in before HT, then carried on drinking hearing the 5th go in second half, which was when we decided to piss off, went to a working mans club the other side of the industrial area till our train was due I remember it was about £1.80 a pint.

Still made it to bridge bar that night in Beckenham, I’ll let you do the maths for hours of sesh, was necessary watching that side.
    Should have gone to The Jolley Woodman instead.
  • Options

He was going to....then he heard you were in there. 
  • Options
    Remember being shell shocked after Leeds beat us 6-1 in the Premier League

Walked around College in a daze for a few days afterwards
  • Options
    That Hull game didn’t even hurt, we were such a circus at the time it actually felt normal.
    Agreed, there was a real gallows humour feel to the match, I was there and expecting a hammering...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Brighton was 7-0 October 83
    Luton was 7-1 September 77 
    Burnley was 7-1 February 83
  • Options
    I was at the Luton game in 77. Awful performance
  • Options
    Think we lost either 6-0 or 6-1 at Preston. 
  • Options
    Lost 6-0 to Wrexham in the FA Cup in 3rd, 70/80 season.
  • Options

Lol
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    iaitch said:
    Think we lost either 6-0 or 6-1 at Preston. 
    12th December 1978. 6-1.
  • Options
    Karlan Ahearne-Grant's debut away to Bournemouth.
    We lost 1-0 but this was the most one sided performance I had seen in years.
  • Options
    I was at the Brighton game, my first away game outside London. 5 0 down at half time and it was pissing down. I think Jimmy Case scored a hat trick.
    I tried to leave at halftime, the police wouldn't let me out. 
    I don't remember it raining but to be honest I don't remember much of that day, as a teenager at the time with copious amounts of alcohol and other stuff in me tends to fade the brain.
  • Options
    We nearly took the lead, Steve Dowman missed a good cghance and then the goals started flying in at our end. 5-0 at half time, 7-0 on the hour mark. Jimmy Case hat trick and Terry Connor maybe got a couple.

I was there a few years later when we won 5-3 that was another memorable game as the lead to and froed.
  • Options
    Case fired all three in from around the edge of the box. It was total shell-shock because I think we were unbeaten at that point (it was early Oct). Well remember the rain too. 

I was one of the very few who went up to Newcastle the following Saturday. Got a soaking 2nd only to Yeovil and lost 2-1 to two late Keegan goals but was an infinitely better experience than the Brighton game because we battled so hard against a top team.