Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best footballer seen live.

After reading yesterday's post re the Ryan Giggs goal, it got me thinking(for once) on who is the best player I have seen live.
I'm going for Dennis Bergkamp, with Neville Southall the best goalkeeper.

Comments

• Gazza @ Shithurst Park, Charlton 1-3 Tottingham
  • Zola and Bergkamp right up there. Just watching their touches and movement. Class. I remember Zola getting clapped off as he was subbed for Chelsea at The Valley. Probably out of a bit of both respect and relief. 
  • Cristiano Ronaldo, in his first season in England.

It was the game where people refer to Kishishev going in hard on him. However, over the course of the match Ronaldo’s skill and pace absolutely tore us a new one.

He was going past players with skills that I couldn’t even wrap my head around. Like some sort of optical illusion! 
  • edited January 2021
    I was always such a fan of Shevchenko when he was at AC Milan, felt surreal when I saw him play for Chelsea at the Valley

Unfortunately he flopped here in England though

Cristiano Ronaldo when he used our booing (after the Euros) as a strength, was unplayable - Given the longevity of his career it even feels strange that we saw him play against us a few times, especially when you consider the player he's become
  • Ronaldo, Rooney and Henry. 

Although a special mention for Hierro I though he was stunning in a game for Bolton at the Valley.

Agree that the Giggs, non goal, was nearly the best I have ever seen live. 
  • Henry was the one who came to mind first. 

Also Ginola ripped us apart once at The Valley, and is one of the best individual performances I’ve ever seen. 
  • Seen so many good footballer over the years watching football not only at Charlton but at Norwich and other clubs while travelling for my job.
    Here's a few that come to mind. 
    Allan Simonsen for Charlton.
    Martin Peters the complete footballer.
    Virgil Van Dijk. Saw him last year live playing for Liverpool. Couldn't believe how good he read the game defending and his super distribution from defense. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Went to this game on corporate hospitality. Some decent players on show...

Christ on bike there are some players on that list!

Not only that but the GOAT ref as well. 
  • Fumbluff said:
    Gazza @ Shithurst Park, Charlton 1-3 Tottingham
    He was unplayable that day. One of those occasions where you can't help but "enjoy" (maybe not the right word) the performance even though the player is taking us apart. 
  • Alan Simeonsen by a country mile...it’s one thing to look fucking amazing when you are in a team of other amazing players that can give you a pinpoint pass, make your wayward pass to them look incredible or recover your mistakes but to more or less have to do it and compensate your game to the capabilities of players not used to the same level of football and against teams at a time when taking a player out would probably only receive a wagging finger from the referee takes somebody really special. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Went to this game on corporate hospitality. Some decent players on show...

Christ on bike there are some players on that list!

Not only that but the GOAT ref as well. 
    I'm sure John O'Shea must look at the line up occasionally and just think "how...?"
  • George Best ... only saw him live a couple of times, once at Old Trafford and once at Highbury ... amazing on both occasions 
  • Henry was the one who came to mind first. 

Also Ginola ripped us apart once at The Valley, and is one of the best individual performances I’ve ever seen. 
    Ginola was incredibly during that game 
  • When I was a kid in the early 80s I had a mate who was an avid Liverpool fan and I went to Anfield with him and his dad about half a dozen times. Every time Kenny Dalglish was incredible. Also saw Ian Rush put five past Luton in ‘83 in what was a strikers masterclass.
  • Fumbluff said:
    Gazza @ Shithurst Park, Charlton 1-3 Tottingham
    Is that the one where Leaburn hit the post from 2yards out in the middle of the goal? 

Would have put us 2-0 or 2-1 up. 

And did Mitchell Thomas score an overhead kick as well ? 
  • I remember a game at Craven Cottage in the mid-70's when we played against Fulham with George Best, Rodney Marsh and Booby Moore in their side. On that day Best was unplayable even though he was in the twilight of his career.
  • Di Canio most games he played against us. 

Darren Huckerby ( seriously always seemed to just terrorise the oppo every game I saw him play live ) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Henry. Terrified me every time we played Arsenal as you thought he would destroy you single handedly.

Best single performance was probably Desailly for Chelsea. He was incredible.

Non Charlton match would have been Iniesta when I watched El Clasico at the Bernabeu. Messi and Ronaldo were also on the pitch but he stood out by a mile in that game.
  • I forgot when Ginola ripped us a new one too, if memory serves didn’t his less-renowned replacement Jose Dominguez repeat the punishment the next season?
  • Fumbluff said:
    I forgot when Ginola ripped us a new one too, if memory serves didn’t his less-renowned replacement Jose Dominguez repeat the punishment the next season?
    Was the Ginola one cup game where we were 2-0 up and lost 2-3 ?

Spurs  mate was gutted as defeat would have probably meant George Graham getting sacked 
  • Henry. I think he scored a hatrick at the Valley in around 20 minutes. Unplayable.
  • John Charles
  • Seen so many good footballer over the years watching football not only at Charlton but at Norwich and other clubs while travelling for my job.
    Here's a few that come to mind. 
    Allan Simonsen for Charlton.
    Martin Peters the complete footballer.
    Virgil Van Dijk. Saw him last year live playing for Liverpool. Couldn't believe how good he read the game defending and his super distribution from defense. 
    I watched VVD for Holland in the Europa League final live and as you say, his reading of the game is so good. Always gets himself into the correct position first so he makes the game look effortless. Plus even from row Z you could see how much of a physical presence he is as well. 

Henry over anyone else live tho. 

Regret never seeing Brazilian Ronaldo live. 
  • Kenny Dalglish

• When Spurs sent us down Berbatov was brilliant that night. He just controlled the tempo of the play while just strolling about. Apart from winning a race for the ball with El Kakhouri and then scoring.
    Btw Talal, Dimitar is not that quick!
  • Zidane is the best I’ve seen live.