Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mick Mccarthy next Cardiff manager

I see Cardiff are set to announce Mick Mccarthy as next manager after sacking Neil Harris yesterday. Have to say I am very surprised. Not gone down well with Cardiff fans. What's your thoughts on this? Relegation battle coming up for Cardiff? 

Comments

• Got the best out of a very very limited Ipswich squad
  • They love ex Millwall.
  • edited January 2021
    Dont think Ipswich finished in the bottom half of the table under Mccarthy... They got relegated the very next season after he left.

Very underrated in my opinion. Think he's got an unfair tag after his spell at Ipswich but if I remember rightly the bloke never had any money to make signings 
  • edited January 2021
    He managed to keep Ipswich in/around the playoffs for a few seasons on a shoestring compared to the teams around him under Marcus Evans.

Not a fashionable appointment but has more than proved himself to be a competent manager at Championship level.
  • He'll do a job. Probably never going to be the most exciting, innovative football but he'll keep things solid and keep a team safe.
  • Ipswich plummeted when he left. Championship is his level, I think he will do a decent job for them 
  • Just caught up with this Bomber bombed out well I never 😲.
  • Will come in, tighten things up, ship out the wankers, do a job, get them moving up the league.
    In 18 months the fans will be screaming for his head because he is too boring and they are not back in the PL.
    And so it goes..
  • Sponsored links:

• Good manager, people don't like his style of play just like Allardyce but he gets results. 
  • He got Sunderland and Wolves promoted to the Premier League, a while ago though.
  • Weird that Paul Cook is still unemployed. He's been linked with Wednesday, but to me Cardiff would be a much more attractive job
  • Shrewd move by Cardiff.  I wanted him to take over when Curbs left. Our history since then  certainly would have been a lot different.
    He used to live in chelsfield at the time and I used to bump into him occasionally. 
    He would have loved the opportunity to manage Charlton back then.
    Unfortunately Murray took a different route. 
  • Decent and effective manager.  Nice bloke too.  Good luck to him

Would love to know what went on in Cyprus that meant he was only there for a few months...sounds like he got paid to have a lovely holiday
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Criminally under rated manager. 

Never had any money to spend.  

Left millwall 14 points clear of the drop they got relegated.  Took over a basket case at Sunderland, stopped the rot and took them back up.  With no money to spend. 

Wolves, got the job after Hoddle spent all the money, had to sell everyone and rebuild on frees and youth players.  Took them up.

Ipswich kept them in the top half for years.  He leaves they go straight down.

Worth at least 5 places a season.  It's a shame that unlike big Sam and Pullis he has never, ever, had money to spend. 
    Not that I'm complaining about it but the Millwall team was top at the end of November, he started touting himself for the Ireland job and started to plummet down the league before he left in the February.

Still bloody funny what happened that season
  • Good luck to him, if he doesn’t get Cardiff up near the play-offs he’ll be gone within a year, they are desperate for the Prem again, not sure they will be back there any time soon.
  • Been around the block and knows what’s what. Will adapt to what players are there and change when he’s able. Safe pair of hands and they could do a lot worse. You have to ask why Harris was chosen in the first place.
  • Sponsored links:

• Weird that Paul Cook is still unemployed. He's been linked with Wednesday, but to me Cardiff would be a much more attractive job
    They said on the radio Cook was linked to the Cardiff job but only offered the job until the end of the season which sounds strange. He obviously turned it down 
    They said on the radio Cook was linked to the Cardiff job but only offered the job until the end of the season which sounds strange. He obviously turned it down 
    You imagine Mick will be less choosy than Cook...
  • Still has his family home in Chelsfield or Chislehurst?
    Despite managing clubs all over the country for many a year it’s still his home.
  • Would have taken big Mick as our manager.....ex Millwall or not. 
    100% yes, doesn’t he live in chislehurst? 
  • When he came back as Irish manager, it was dreadful to watch but we were competitive at least. 
  • siblers said:
    When he came back as Irish manager, it was dreadful to watch but we were competitive at least. 
    Often the way of evaluating a manager is how the successor does, and Kenny's reign has been pretty disastrous. Indeed N Ireland post Michael O'Neill have had a similar slump...
    Once saw him on an escalator in the Glades (Bromley). Just about my only claim to fame.

• Still has his family home in Chelsfield or Chislehurst?
    Despite managing clubs all over the country for many a year it’s still his home.
    I imagine so.  I occasionally see him around Bromley.
    Once saw him on an escalator in the Glades (Bromley). Just about my only claim to fame.

Saw Goldberg doing that once.  He could just about see over the handrail.