Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Keogh's in the Money

For those who didn't know .. Our old pal, the galloping skipper was awarded £2 MILLION by an Employment Tribunal for the unfair dismissal from his £24,000 a week job with Derby County.
The 'offence' leading to his sacking ? ..  he was not wearing a seatbelt whilst being driven by a one time teammate in a car that was involved in a well publicised crash. The crash resulted in a serious knee injury to Keogh who was subsequently unable to play for Derby for several weeks whilst (presumably) still expecting to be paid his wages instead of SSP.

Derby County, as you might expect, are appealing the Tribunal's decision.

Comments

• wasn't there more to it that what has been said above?
  • I dont think Derby have a foot to stand on

They sacked one player who wasnt driving, kept two players who were driving a car and were the reason behind the crash

How do you defend that?

They basically got rid of one because he had no value, kept the others because they still do
    Exactly what I was going to post. I fully expected Keogh to win this, even more so when it became clear of how they dealt with it.
  • £100 fine for not wearing a seatbelt.
  • Derby also provided club transport to take the players to a function there and back. No excuses for what happened.
  • Its worth noting that Mason Bennett joined Millwall on a permanent deal last summer whilst Tom Lawrence has only managed to play 13-games this season due to injury and hasnt scored - Its also worth noting he signed for Derby in 2017 on a "long contract"

Well if thats a four year deal then its up this summer, meaning he could yet leave for nothing

On top of having to pay Richard Keogh £2m it may well have been cheaper for Derby to have sacked all three

Bet on that basis, Keogh wouldnt have a leg to stand on if he was trying to appeal
  • Sponsored links:

They sacked one player who wasnt driving, kept two players who were driving a car and were the reason behind the crash

How do you defend that?

They basically got rid of one because he had no value, kept the others because they still do
    Quite agree.......but £2M ?

How do you defend that?

About 18 months salary.

How do you defend that?

he was on 24k pw, over 1.2m per year, so probably what the value of the rest of his contract was?
  • sam3110 said:
    Whilst all the players involved in the accident are to blame for various reasons, I really hope Keogh scores against Derby and they get relegated
    And celebrates the goal wildly.
  • I remember it being discussed fairly extensively on here at the time of the crash and pretty much everyone agreed that Derby were on very shaky ground with their decision making. Glad that it’s been rectified. 

How do you defend that?

Had the cut to Keogh been any deeper he wouldn’t have had a foot to stand on.

How do you defend that?

Had the cut to Keogh been any deeper he wouldn’t have had a foot to stand on.

• Derby also provided club transport to take the players to a function there and back. No excuses for what happened.
    No excuses but Derby lost their own case by letting off some (the drivers) because they were young and had some transfer value whilst sacking the old guy who had just received a potentially career ending injury and yet was only a passenger.
  • Sponsored links:

• I enjoyed that the crowd were singing "he should have walked home" and "dont drink and drive" when we beat them at the Valley last year
  • bobmunro said:
    TelMc32 said:
    Bit of an odd opening post.  If this had been just Keogh driving the car then maybe they'd have been right to cut him loose.  But Derby didn't do that.  They kept on the other two idiots who were younger and had "value" for them in the transfer market in the future.  If they had treated all three the same way, then they may have been right but they didn't and this was always going to end badly for them.  Cannot see how they think they'll fare any better appealing the case. Yes, it's a large sum of money, but he's essentially just got his contract paid up.  

Derby should be looking at their HR Department or whoever decided that this was a good idea!
    Not all football clubs have world class HR departments!
    You should use this in your next annual review Bob!  Look boss...I didn't do this!!!    :D
  • Most shameful thing this guy's ever done was just hand QPR promotion that one time
  • To be fair i think all three players should have been sacked. Don’t have any sympathy for Keogh getting in a car while he mate is driving tanked up. Just get a taxi ffs
  • Done a lot of HR work and Derby is near my neck of the woods so followed this one with interest.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Derby expected to win this, I'm sure they have sought legal advice well over and above my rudimentary knowledge but there never seemed to be a genuine case against him that was going to stick in court. Part of me wonders if they thought he'd settle out of court but he's called their bluff and taken it all the way. 

When you consider there were two other employees involved who arguably did the same if not worse and weren't dismissed it never looked great. And from what I understand they essentially sacked him after he refused to take a pay cut which again doesn't really help their case, kind of looks like they wanted to save some money as he couldn't play, he's refused so they've sacked him. I'm sure any employment lawyer would have a field day with that.

I'd love to know what the final bill was for Derby taking into account all their legal expenses as well. I suspect it's significantly more than it would have been if they'd just kept him on and let him go at the end of his contract or let him find another club. 

Looks like an expensive mistake and at a terrible time as well judging by their financial position at the moment.
    My heart knee bleeds for them.
  • Are funds awarded by a tribunal taxable ?