Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Terry Naylor

edited January 2021 in General Charlton
Just before lockdown I met Terry on a bus between Kings Cross and his home at the Angel Islington . He was vey complementary about Charlton and his time with us .

I stumbled across this Spurs themed three part interview with Terry . To save you watching the non Charlton bits ( which are interesting ) I attach the link to Part 3 where he starts talking about his time at the Valley between 12.41  - 17.22 . Apparently Lennie wanted him to do a coaching job but Terry wanted too much money .

Wapping Assassin TV - Terry Naylor PART 3 of 3 - YouTube

Comments

• One of my favourite players from that era. I think he broke his leg in a league cup game against West Ham.
  • edited January 2021
    One of my favourite players from that era. I think he broke his leg in a league cup game against West Ham.
    He talks about it. Think it was a Friendly rather than the League Cup. 

Frank Lampard (snr) did it when Terry broke through on goal. 
  • Interesting watch. How you recognised him on a bus I don't know; he's changed a bit. Very dapper though and I'll forgive him the tie.
  • Always remember in the promotion win at Carlisle in 81, he had the ball on the edge of their box and slowly proceeded to dribble the ball all the way back to Nicky Johns.

Saw him in the Prince of Wales pub in Belvedere with a couple of other players within an hour of our home game finishing the following season. A real character and much underrated player. 
  • Who was the other guy sitting with them...?
  • Who was the other guy sitting with them...?
    I think it is his best mate. In the Spurs bits they talk about how they they go to games with each other  
  • edited January 2021
    My abiding memory of Terry was him hanging on to Paul Marriner’s shirt away at Ipswich in the 5th round of the cup 1981 as he bore down on goal but still managed to score IIRC. Enjoyed watching him and his former Spurs team mate Don MacAllister.
  • He was my favourite player at the time, I remember when he used to pretend he was going to catch the ball but then control it, broke his leg in s friendly against West ham if I remember correctly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Remember once a clearance that went behind the whole team. Naylor turned and rushed back at full speed to retrieve the ball before it went out in the South West corner. He got there before the ball went out of play, then just jumped over it.

You had to be there...........
  • £600 a week in 1980?! No wonder we went skint.....
  • Remember a banner at Ipswich away in the cup that said Naylor bites Brazil nuts 
  • Enjoyed that @""Richard J" , thanks for posting. A very good player, with a lot of nous and a good sense of humour which helped to generate a rapport with the crowd. I believe it's called entertainment.
  • Richard J said:
    kafka said:
    Interesting watch. How you recognised him on a bus I don't know; he's changed a bit. Very dapper though and I'll forgive him the tie.
    I let him sit down in my seat. His knee was in a brace 

I think he was a bit surprised when it was the Charlton part of his career that I wanted to discuss. 

It reminded me of when I met Paul Miller once in a Spurs lounge .  I told Maxi that I had seen his greatest ever game the Battle of Stamford Bridge. 
    I know this is a TN thread but agree 100% re Miller and that Chelsea game, one of my best days watching football that early start, few boozers, great nasty nail biting game, tossers in our end, got the result and a late one back home in Welling.
  • I had just dropped my cab off at my garage, for it's annual overhaul, and was looking for a cab to take me home,(Farnborough Kent, in those days,)  When one came along, as I jumped in the driver commented on my Charlton shirt, he said his brother played for Charlton, Terry Naylor.  So, his brother was among that select band of London cabbies. 
  • He was a school friends uncle so I got his autograph. He lived in Beckenham and came to our end of season do and presented our medals,  I was thrilled and this was the season he was our PoTY. The next year it was Dario Gradi during his brief spell at palace  - a bit scary with what's come to light since...
  • Richard J said:
    kafka said:
    Interesting watch. How you recognised him on a bus I don't know; he's changed a bit. Very dapper though and I'll forgive him the tie.
    I let him sit down in my seat. His knee was in a brace 

I think he was a bit surprised when it was the Charlton part of his career that I wanted to discuss. 

It reminded me of when I met Paul Miller once in a Spurs lounge .  I told Maxi that I had seen his greatest ever game the Battle of Stamford Bridge. 
    I know this is a TN thread but agree 100% re Miller and that Chelsea game, one of my best days watching football that early start, few boozers, great nasty nail biting game, tossers in our end, got the result and a late one back home in Welling.
    Paul described it as X rated . I was the guest of some Spurs fans and Miller was happy to reminisce about the day . As he was hosting in the lounge I couldn't dominate the conversation .

What is interesting about Terry is how proud he is of the POTY he won in 1982 . I would love someone to do an interview with him specifically about his time at Charlton I am sure that there would be some interesting stories .

Iirc TN made his debut  against Brentford and was originally deployed in midfield . He took his normal  Right Back slot from Steve Gritt a few months later when we lost 4-0 at Chester  just before the Ipswich Cup Tie .
  • I only saw Naylor play a few times because he was injured for a long while during my first years as a supporter. He made a brief comeback under Lawrence in 83-84 and we had a good start to the season but soon faded out of the team. Shame because in those few games, it was clear he was a decent player and quite a good laugh (remember him joking with a few of us while defending a corner away to Cambridge 2-2 draw). 
  • I thought both Naylor and McAllister were excellent for us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought both Naylor and McAllister were excellent for us. 
    Yeh they were.
    Ended up forgiving McAllister for breaking Penfold's leg.
    Naylor was a great character.
  • We had a few ex Spurs in the 70's -Flanagan'Martin Robinson,Paul Miller
  • Really enjoyed the video and I too remember him grabbing Mariners shirt at Ipswich the shirt stretched and he was still getting away from Terry!
  • I believe Paul Miller played for us a in the late 80's but you're right about ex spurs players Chris Jones being another.
  • Looks like a great channel that, surprised only 600 odd subs. Will wach the Steven Berkoff interview later an all
  • Bournesnr said:
    I believe Paul Miller played for us a in the late 80's but you're right about ex spurs players Chris Jones being another.
    And Dennis Bond. Great era, enjoyed that interview. Naylor was a class player and great signing for us.
  • apparently in the description he does a bit of singing in local pubs now. anyone heard him? 
  • Bournesnr said:
    I believe Paul Miller played for us a in the late 80's but you're right about ex spurs players Chris Jones being another.
    And Dennis Bond. Great era, enjoyed that interview. Naylor was a class player and great signing for us.
    And a little bit later in the early 90s when as nomads playing at Upton Park John Hendry on loan who scored the only goal in a rare victory over the Spanner's 😁
  • apparently in the description he does a bit of singing in local pubs now. anyone heard him? 
    just seen he does a number at the end. a crooner. 
  • Great story was told to me by Dick Tydeman captain at the time of the Ipswich cup game and my favourite Charlton player. Apparently in the dressing room before the Ipswich game Terry Naylor stated ' Come on if we win this one we' ll win the cup' Dick assures me Terry was serious, you'd probably have to know how good Ipswich were at that time to realise how wild a statement that was. Good player for Charlton though was Terry Naylor, glad to hear he's doing well.