Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

INNISS AN FAMEWO

edited January 2021 in General Charlton
I worried that both of these could be gone in January. Inniss to one of Man City, Liverpool, or possibly Chelsea. Famewo back to Norwich, before going to Real Madrid or Barcelona, depending who is ready to hand over the £40 Million. Surely this likely, as since they got injured, they have become the two greatest players to ever grace the Valley turf. Every week they don’t play, they get better and better. It’s incredible, how much they have improved. 

Apparently, without them we are fodder to be beaten by anybody, good job it was not us at Marine yesterday, we would have taken a right bloody beating. Without them, we are a complete shambles, the other 9 players, I can’t remember their names, are purely extras in the Inniss and Famewo show. How we managed to extract these SUPERSTARS into our humble team is beyond me. God we could play just the two of them. And win games..... Famewo taking corners Inniss heading them in.......

ok, this is complete Tosh, but reading some of the comments on this forum and elsewhere, some of our fan base seem to believe this is true. ALL our issues are because these two are not available, if they were fit, it would all be different. I look forward to never losing another game on their return.

Yes, they are an excellent CentreBack pairing at this level, and both undoubtably gave us the solidness at the back that HELPED to keep clean sheets. However, they were playing in an in form team, that was winning games. God forbid, they come back and we let a goal in, let alone lose a game.

The point I’m trying to make is not related to LB IN OR OUT. It’s that our issues,  in my opinion run deeper that Inniss an Famewo being absent.  Blaming the poor performances, purely on the loss of these two is shortsighted.  Yes, we miss them, yes we would be performing better with them. But, is their absence the only reason we aware now slumping down the table, and looking like a shambles of a side.....  Of course not, so let’s not think their return is going to rocket us back up the table. 

Comments

• edited January 2021
    Did u see the 2 goals we conceded on Friday for a start.

Would we have conceded either with Inniss and Famewo, my answer is no.

Pearce was shocking for the first and for the 2nd both Pearce and Oshilaja got done by the same player so he had a clear shot on goal, in my opinion Inniss would have stood firm and got the block.
  • We looked so much more solid at the back with those 2
  • The undeniable fact is that we are a much stronger side with those two playing. 
  • Weird. 
  • All about partnerships and confidence too. Not only were these two playing well but the back 5 as a unit were really strong. Both Amos and Gunter have looked weaker since Inniss and Famewo were out. 
  • I really don’t understand why central defence is not a transfer priority even if it’s a good under 21 player.
  • And having CBs that Bowyer actually trusts to play CB might help to get the team organised 
  • The point I’m making is do we believe that slotting these two back in solves all our problem. LB returns to being loved by all, and we all sail into the sunset holding hands as we get promoted. 
  • The point I’m making is do we believe that slotting these two back in solves all our problem. LB returns to being loved by all, and we all sail into the sunset holding hands as we get promoted. 
    It would solve our defensive problems 
  • Sponsored links:

We are conceding shit goals. When these two played, we weren’t. Scoring goals and creating chances come from have a solid foundation of a team that allow your attacking players to express themselves. ‘Solves all our problems’ of course not but it’ll be a hell of a start.
  • Doesn't solve all our problems straight away, but stops us getting the shits everytime the opposition picks up the ball at least 
  • At least with Famewo and Inniss in the team the opposition have to work for their goals - not handed to them on a plate. Defensively we are a better proposition with them as a pairing. With Inniss we also look an attacking threat at set plays. Are they the answer to all our problems? No - but they are a good partnership and will certainly help stop us leaking shit goals. Hopefully the 2 full backs and goalkeeper will have more confidence knowing they have 2 centre halves that know what they are doing and not worrying about having a pair of carthorses alongside them. 
  • Shrew said:
    I really don’t understand why central defence is not a transfer priority even if it’s a good under 21 player.
    I agree, haven't been able to decide what's been order in the last week, us not signing a CB or Liverpool not signing a CB.
    Not all of them. But it might make us more solid, avoid us conceding the first goal and having to chase games. Of course there are other problems to address.
  • Rothko said:
    Question really is, are you ever going to get the time back you wasted on that post? 
    I’m indoors doing feck all, so have the time to spare. Obviously so do you !
    A strong team is built from the back forwards. 

It’s obvious that having those two fit and returned to the starting 11 will solve a huge issue that we currently have. 
  • We looked so much more solid at the back with those 2
    Teams were still giving our midfield far too much respect back when Innis and Famewo were  keeping all those clean sheets. Now that everyone's worked us out I don't think their partnership will be as rock like as it was before.
  • Sponsored links:

• Raplh. you really don't wanna leave it alone do ya. Just my opinion but I thought Charlton played well in the first half but came in a goal down because they couldn't deal with a long drop kick from the keeper. Do I think the centre half would have dealt with it ? absolutely ! The first six games of the season we were rock solid at the back and we haven't been since those two centre backs were out injured.
  • Capital letters for a post heading, seriously!
  • I worried that both of these could be gone in January. Inniss to one of Man City, Liverpool, or possibly Chelsea. Famewo back to Norwich, before going to Real Madrid or Barcelona, depending who is ready to hand over the £40 Million. Surely this likely, as since they got injured, they have become the two greatest players to ever grace the Valley turf. Every week they don’t play, they get better and better. It’s incredible, how much they have improved. 

Apparently, without them we are fodder to be beaten by anybody, good job it was not us at Marine yesterday, we would have taken a right bloody beating. Without them, we are a complete shambles, the other 9 players, I can’t remember their names, are purely extras in the Inniss and Famewo show. How we managed to extract these SUPERSTARS into our humble team is beyond me. God we could play just the two of them. And win games..... Famewo taking corners Inniss heading them in.......

ok, this is complete Tosh, but reading some of the comments on this forum and elsewhere, some of our fan base seem to believe this is true. ALL our issues are because these two are not available, if they were fit, it would all be different. I look forward to never losing another game on their return.

Yes, they are an excellent CentreBack pairing at this level, and both undoubtably gave us the solidness at the back that HELPED to keep clean sheets. However, they were playing in an in form team, that was winning games. God forbid, they come back and we let a goal in, let alone lose a game.

The point I’m trying to make is not related to LB IN OR OUT. It’s that our issues,  in my opinion run deeper that Inniss an Famewo being absent.  Blaming the poor performances, purely on the loss of these two is shortsighted.  Yes, we miss them, yes we would be performing better with them. But, is their absence the only reason we aware now slumping down the table, and looking like a shambles of a side.....  Of course not, so let’s not think their return is going to rocket us back up the table. 

I thought the humour had gone from this site, but this is brilliant!  Well played Ralph!
  • edited January 2021
    Redrobo said:
    I worried that both of these could be gone in January. Inniss to one of Man City, Liverpool, or possibly Chelsea. Famewo back to Norwich, before going to Real Madrid or Barcelona, depending who is ready to hand over the £40 Million. Surely this likely, as since they got injured, they have become the two greatest players to ever grace the Valley turf. Every week they don’t play, they get better and better. It’s incredible, how much they have improved. 

I thought the humour had gone from this site, but this is brilliant!  Well played Ralph!
    Thanks it was supposed to have a light hearted core. But, in the current position everybody’s seems quite quick to condem or look for an argument. An I wouldn’t excuse myself from that on occasions. 

It almost an old fashion “You looking at me”  attitude. Think we all need to lighten up.
    never seen such aggressive division amongst the fans. 
  • Redrobo said:

Thanks it was supposed to have a light hearted core. But, in the current position everybody’s seems quite quick to condem or look for an argument. An I wouldn’t excuse myself from that on occasions. 
    I nearly started to reply to your 1st couple of lines so you got me.

I do think they are a huge miss, but so has Doughty being injured and Chucks not being able to play the 90 minutes. I think our first team is a top six side. The rest of the squad is average at best, and there in lies the problem.
  • I have been saying this for a few months now.  When Gilbey was injured he got better every week he was out. 

When we went on our little run we had Pratley AND Watson sat in front of 2 pretty good center halves.  It wasn't pretty to watch but we didn't concede goals.  I praised Bowyer for this, in fact I think I compared him to Eddie Jones.

I expected the "hand break" to come off after the international break.  Instead the wheels came off.

Having kept 6 clean sheets on the spin we have now conceded 2 in each of the last 5.  More worryingly we have stop scoring goals as well.  We had, probably, 5 or 6 offensive minded players start on Friday night and didn't creat anything more than a few half chances.  Innes and Famewo, nor Nesta and Maldini, or going to solve that problem.

In short of course we would be a better team with those 2 in it, it would be churlish to suggest we wouldn't. But would it solve all our problems?  Far from it. 
  • edited January 2021
    It’s all very well saying sort out the defence but how can you possibly legislate for individual errors and a deflection not only yesterday but others in recent matches 🤷‍♂️.

As for Amos didn’t he have six clean sheets in a row or something as part of a solid defensive unit in our winning run? Have a look at his overall average mark in the statbank after Pboro, he’s second on 6.77 behind Chuks leaving aside Innis & Schwartz five or less games played. Man of the match five times albeit by default for some of those because the rest of the team were poor. 

No doubt yesterday’s poor effort at stopping their first will drag that average down (I scored him 4 in the players marks so no favouritism from me) but you don’t become a bad keeper over night, the problems are in front of him but we do love a scapegoat on here. 
  • Building our season on an unknown CB pairing was always a risky strategy particularly if they got injured. Obviously we miss them but does it excuse how spectacularly our season has imploded?

How long will people keep trotting this excuse out? Once they got injured we should have found a better way of dealing with it. 

I'm surprised at how low people's expectations have become particularly given we're in L1.