Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holidays 2021 Thread

So 2020 turned out a big wash out.

Has anyone got anything booked for this year?

Tempted to have something to look forward to, but still feels risky booking. 

Comments

• edited January 2021
    and anyone seeing any good deals and offers anywhere?
  • So 2020 turned out a big wash out.

Has anyone got anything booked for this year?

Tempted to have something to look forward to, but still feels risky booking. 
    You crack on mate.
  • Nothing booked , no plans at all at this stage.

Our week in Tenerife in October could be a distinct possibility ...late enough in the year to ascertain how safe this would be.

But won't look at flights until well into the summer months. 

With just the 2 of us, it's always easier leaving it late, than looking for deals for a family as a whole. 
  • edited January 2021
    I was like you mate, felt it was too risky. But succumbed the other day and booked our annual pilgrimage to the glorious Skiathos for early July.

Not convinced it will happen but only paid the minimum (£100+) deposit for now and have got until early May to pay it off. 

We'll see what happens, but we found the booking experience quite cathartic. 
  • 2 x trips to Cornwall booked.

Second week in April we have a long spa break booked which is a holiday we had to cancel last March so we have re-booked.

First week in July we have booked simply because when we looked there was hardly anything left for 2021 in Cornwall and the prices were eye watering compared to what we normally pay.

Not sure we will make either of them but fingers crossed.

We are looking at Bali later on the year and Thailand for New Year but not booking anything abroad just yet.
  • Nothing booked but would be more than happy to just get to the euros and do that this year. Got tickets just fingers crossed 
  • I cancelled last year's holiday to Majorca and rebooked for this year 
    Travelling on the 24th of July. 
    I reckon I have a 50/50 chance of going.
    If I have to cancel this time I will just ask for a refund and plan something in the UK.
  • edited January 2021
    It’ll be a big gamble booking now even if staying in the UK. My best advice for what it is worth, resist the temptation at least until the end of May to see if things are getting better. Getting your money back from travel companies has been a nightmare for thousands what good is a credit note if they go belly up.
  • Rolled over last year's May week in Ambleside to 2021. Think it's probably 50/50 at the moment but clinging to the thought of it.
  • RedChaser said:
    It’ll be a big gamble booking now even if staying in the UK. My best advice for what it is worth, resist the temptation at least until the end of May to see if things are getting better. Getting your money back from travel companies has been a nightmare for thousands what good is a credit note if they go belly up.
    You will be lucky to book a UK holiday at the end of May, hundreds of thousands of people will stay at home this year and "staycation". We normally have a week in Cornwall in July (see above) and stay in a luxury villa/cottage, come and go as we please and eat out.

We tried booking for July 2021 back in November 2020 and were scrapping for what was left. 

The four main agencies we use plus contacts we have made in Cornwall have all said "it has gone mental"  
  • Sponsored links:

• 5 nights in Cheddar Gorge in Easter holidays:

https://www.featherdown.co.uk/location/cheddar-gorge/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=gmb&utm_campaign=location

In summer I am trying to find a cottage large enough for 12 to have a delayed Christmas,. The 3 most vulnerable will have been vaccinated by then, 4 under age of 11 so won't ever be which would leave 5 healthy 40-somethings to take the risk I guess but hopeful that by then it is summer and maybe the vaccine will even have rolled out that far by then.
  • If you've had the vaccine i'd definitely try and get abroad!

Im sat here patiently waiting for the USA/Canada border to re-open so I can explore the west coast once again.

• 5 nights in Cheddar Gorge in Easter holidays:

https://www.featherdown.co.uk/location/cheddar-gorge/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=gmb&utm_campaign=location

In summer I am trying to find a cottage large enough for 12 to have a delayed Christmas,. The 3 most vulnerable will have been vaccinated by then, 4 under age of 11 so won't ever be which would leave 5 healthy 40-somethings to take the risk I guess but hopeful that by then it is summer and maybe the vaccine will even have rolled out that far by then.
    Nice one.

We did a bit of glamping in 2019 at the Fetherdown site in Berkshire. We took out two oldest grandsons and they loved it. It was all sited in a wildlife park so when the gates were locked and the public went home we had the place to ourselves. 
  • Center Parcs next Monday cancelled. 

Kids holiday in June to 'Sandy Balls' holiday park so hoping we can make that one.

Otherwise it's the Ostrava in August for a wedding...

Failing all those I'm going cry in a heap on the floor.
  • we got a 12 day cruise around Britain booked for late May rebooked from last year as it was all paid for, think we will be rebooking this for next year.

This year is my retirement warm up year, so we booked 18 months ago a 17 day cruise Southampton to Barcelona in July. Followed by a 14 night cruise in September Monte Carlo to Venice. There’s a chance the last one might go, the first one I wouldn’t put much more than 50/50. 

Going to be hard to fit these in 2022 as we got our retirement cruise booked which is a 73 night cruise from Istanbul to Auckland.

Sounds a lot but when initially planned it worked absolutely perfectly, now with Covid then it’s going to be problematical.
  • RedChaser said:
    You will be lucky to book a UK holiday at the end of May, hundreds of thousands of people will stay at home this year and "staycation". We normally have a week in Cornwall in July (see above) and stay in a luxury villa/cottage, come and go as we please and eat out.

We tried booking for July 2021 back in November 2020 and were scrapping for what was left. 

The four main agencies we use plus contacts we have made in Cornwall have all said "it has gone mental"  
    that’s why I’m getting tempted. We had to cancel our Cornwall break last year and then when things opened up in the summer literally the whole country was booked up. Nothing in even the most basic of holiday parks.

We were incredibly lucky to get a cancellation down Weymouth a few days in advance, and I’m so thankful for it as we had an amazing week and I’m not sure we’d have stayed sane without that week away.

I don’t want to leave to last min again as I doubt I’ll be lucky twice 
  • edited January 2021
    RedChaser said:

That doesn’t surprise me at all but I’d be loathed to book anything abroad for quite some time so it’ll probably be Stopathome again this year 😉.
  • RedChaser said:

that’s why I’m getting tempted. We had to cancel our Cornwall break last year and then when things opened up in the summer literally the whole country was booked up. Nothing in even the most basic of holiday parks.

We were incredibly lucky to get a cancellation down Weymouth a few days in advance, and I’m so thankful for it as we had an amazing week and I’m not sure we’d have stayed sane without that week away.

I don’t want to leave to last min again as I doubt I’ll be lucky twice 
    Go for it, the good thing about a UK break is the deposit is lower than a holiday abroad so if you have to cancel and roll it over to 2022 (god forbid) its not such a big chunk of change. Plus you will not lose it, most if not all companies will happily defer it until you can get down and stay. 
  • Cancelled a villa in Croatia last year rebooking it for this year.

Desperately hoping it will go ahead as the break would be most welcome and needed. 

Fingers crossed for everyone else.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2021
    Lucked out last year - had booked a week on a cottage on a farm for a week & 2 nights in another cottage in the New Forest on the way back to break up the journey.

Was looking forward to it but thinking it was a shame it wasn't a package holiday type 'proper holiday' but turned out to be the perfect 2020 holiday - nicely away from most other people but as it was August Eat Out to Help Out was on for the first couple of days etc for the couple of times we did meet civilisation. 

Rest of the time was all walks in the woods, the beach and just relaxing on the farm seeing the animals (farmer letting the kids feed some of them etc).

So... booked 10 days in the same cottage this year, and will probably book a couple of nights somewhere on the way home.

Maybe 2022 will be the year for a holiday further afield.
  • I recently won 60 thousand avios points has anyone got any advice on the best way to use them. 
  • I love going abroad and try to go away at least 3 times a year and cant wait to get away asap but dont think it will happen this year unfortunately.

Can see my holiday this year being a long weekend in this country 😔
  • Moved 2 hols from last year to this year in the hope things might be more positive! Had Dubai rebooked for March (although not confident we'll be going) and Turkey in July.
  • edited January 2021
    I’m sure most of you are aware, using your credit card to pay a holiday deposit offers protection under S75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974
    https://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/credit-cards/guides/section-75-protection.html in addition to permissible claims via IATA and ABTA.
  • Got a business out on Crete, so desperate to get out this year...tough at the moment. 
    Booked for mid April to check things over and enjoy Greek orthodox Easter with friends before they start work for season. 
  • Our holiday to The Maldives was naturally cancelled last year and we have rebooked for Sept - our sixth holiday in The Maldives
  • PeterGage said:
    Our holiday to The Maldives was naturally cancelled last year and we have rebooked for Sept - our sixth holiday in The Maldives
    Have you ever considered converting your garden to a Maldivian paradise? You know, cover the garden in sand, stick a canopy up and install a few sun lamps. Stick some 'sea sounds' on repeat and bob's your uncle.

I did the Maldives 2 years ago. Whilst it is beautiful and all that, it was like 2 weeks on a small island prison camp that you could completely walk fully around in 30 minutes. Dull as ditch water. Each to their own, but not for me. For that sort of dosh, I want something a bit more active and some variety. Caribbean 'trumps' it for me, all day long.
  • Have a rearranged, rearranged week in Norfolk in March but I’m sure that will have to be rescheduled. Desperate to get to see friends in Cyprus who we were meant to visit last June. Hoping this June instead, if not September. Would like another week somewhere but reluctant to book yet.
  • we got a 12 day cruise around Britain booked for late May rebooked from last year as it was all paid for, think we will be rebooking this for next year.

This year is my retirement warm up year, so we booked 18 months ago a 17 day cruise Southampton to Barcelona in July. Followed by a 14 night cruise in September Monte Carlo to Venice. There’s a chance the last one might go, the first one I wouldn’t put much more than 50/50. 

Going to be hard to fit these in 2022 as we got our retirement cruise booked which is a 73 night cruise from Istanbul to Auckland.

Sounds a lot but when initially planned it worked absolutely perfectly, now with Covid then it’s going to be problematical.
    Wow. 73 nights Istanbul to Auckland. Sounds awesome.