Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Laptop Help

My daughter’s laptop has just started displaying these messages and playing a recorded message about calling Windows support.

I’m assuming she’s clicked on something that’s introduced a virus/bug but wanted to check if anyone else has experienced this. The laptop isn’t frozen and she can still access photos, it just displays when she opens Microsoft edge.

Comments

• edited April 2020
    I’m in an IT imbecile but I’d wager it’s a scam so my instinct would be to do the precise opposite of what it says i.e. shut it all down. Looks like it comes from India or thereabouts given some of the grammar. 
  • Checked number on app 'who called me'. Doesn't appear to be genuine. 
  • I’m in an IT imbecile but I’d wager it’s a scam so my instinct would be to do the precise opposite of what it says i.e. shut it all down. Looks like it comes from India or thereabouts given some of the grammar. 

Yeah, pretty sure it's a scam. Have tried shutting it down but is still there as soon as you open Microsoft edge again.
  • Checked number on app 'who called me'. Doesn't appear to be genuine. 

Who Called You from 01308339000 ?

We can tell you that, so far, there have been 49 queries and 2 complaints relating to this number 01308339000

https://who-called.co.uk/Number/01308339000

• Chunes said:
    It is a virus. Here is a link with more info and how to remove it. https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/12038-windows-support-alert-scam

Cheer mate, that’s sorted it.
  • edited April 2020
    This programme will sort you out. You have to buy a licence but it’s worth it ... https://www.restoro.com/
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2020
    Does it come on via your browser when you try to go online? If so, it may be solved by clearing the data on it/them or deleting your browser whilst not connected to the internet and downloading again. Just a suggestion.

It is 100% a scam. 
  • edited April 2020
    Type "windows defender" into your pc search (assuming it's windows 10) and check that everything is turned on and up to date.  You should NOT need to install anything else.
  • edited April 2020
    Sorry, just read your post properly. Delete Microsoft edge and any other browser that this happens with using uninstall from control panel. Do you have an old browser that hasn't been used - it should work ok. I think an extension has been added to the browser by foul means. But ultimately, it is probably only the browser from what you describe so should be easy to rectify. 
  • edited April 2020
    My daughter’s laptop has just started displaying these messages and playing a recorded message about calling Windows support.

I’m assuming she’s clicked on something that’s introduced a virus/bug but wanted to check if anyone else has experienced this. The laptop isn’t frozen and she can still access photos, it just displays when she opens Microsoft edge.

For future reference just look at the language:

Tecnicians"
    "because of 'a' spyware"
    "please do not Open"
    "FAILIURE" (sic)
    "non bootable situation".

I could read this stuff all day 

• Removal of the Microsoft Edge virus requires restoring web browsers to their primary state
    1. Open Task Manager and go to Processes Tab.
    2. Find Microsoft Edge process, right-click it and choose End Task option.
    3. Disable your Internet connection.
    4. Go to this directory: ...
    5. Once in this directory, delete the last folder.
  • Removal of the Microsoft Edge virus requires restoring web browsers to their primary state
    1. Open Task Manager and go to Processes Tab.
    2. Find Microsoft Edge process, right-click it and choose End Task option.
    3. Disable your Internet connection.
    4. Go to this directory: ...
    5. Once in this directory, delete the last folder.
    cheers 
  • Realised we need another one now homeschooling a kid in the juinors (both were in infants last time and you could get by with one, using your work one sometimes etc).

Know sod all about laptops, Mrs NLN wants a laptop, windows etc not Chromebook.

Cheap as possible but half decent - any ideas?

Think she may get NHS discounts in a few places - HP laptops for one.
  • Realised we need another one now homeschooling a kid in the juinors (both were in infants last time and you could get by with one, using your work one sometimes etc).

Bought an HP Pavilion something or other a few months ago in curry’s. It’s the one with the touch screen option. Circa £450. It’s doing the business ok although I’m a fairly basic user. 

Honor are pretty impressive for the price point, better processor than the HP equivalent (Ryzen 5 rather than 3). Only slight negative is where the camera is, a bit low (under a key).

https://www.hihonor.com/unitedkingdom/honor-laptops-2020.html

14" from £550, 15" £670.

I need to upgrade my ageing MacBook pro, but can't face the price of Apple these days.

• Looking for a bit cheaper unfortunately as would be decent for that sort of price!
  • Sponsored links:

• Looking for a bit cheaper unfortunately as would be decent for that sort of price!
    Ok, Budget? Any other requirements?
  • I bought a Dell back on the summer. Razon 5 processor & pretty good so far. Was around £320- certainly no more than £350. I don't think you'll pick up anything decent for much under £300. 
  • edited January 2021
    Was looking about £300-350 given I agree with Golfie, below that maybe a Chromebook and hoping for a laptop.
  • I have a Lenovo Thinkpad with work. Around £300 and I actually think it runs so much faster than my laptop (HP) which was more expensive. 
  • I have a Lenovo Thinkpad with work. Around £300 and I actually think it runs so much faster than my laptop (HP) which was more expensive. 
    Can you run Windows, Office etc on it?

As it's for homeschooling and Mrs NLN has more of those days she wants it to be as familiar/old school computery etc as possible!
  • Bought a Lenovo Ideapad  110 from John Lewis about three years ago. Not the fastest, but a ton of memory and has performed well enough for my needs. Think I paid £249, with the usual JL 2 year guarantee.
    Battery life is dreadful, but i only use it plugged in. 
    Have a Dell for work which is a much better machine, with great battery life and faster processing, but don't use this it for streaming or games because it's a work machine.

Will obviously be long since superseded, but for a basic and reliable laptop I'm quite happy.

Have had Compaq and Samsung laptops previously, they tend to last about four years, which seems ok to me given increasing software demands.
    Can you run Windows, Office etc on it?

As it's for homeschooling and Mrs NLN has more of those days she wants it to be as familiar/old school computery etc as possible!
    Yes we have Windows 10 and the Microsoft Package. The laptop I’ve been given is about a year old but I’m on for it around 60 hours a week and it’s still running brilliant. Battery life superb too. 
    Where do you live? I bought a reconditioned laptop from the computer shop opposite the Nags Head in Welling for under 200. 

Great shop and service and runs windows and excel.
  • edited January 2021
    Looking for a bit cheaper unfortunately as would be decent for that sort of price!
    Where do you live? I bought a reconditioned laptop from the computer shop opposite the Nags Head in Welling for under 200. 

Great shop and service and runs windows and excel.
    Herne Bay way, but thank you anyway.

Probably shut at the minute too for advice on reconditioned ones, looking online at the minute.