Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Andy Nelson - a thank you

A little ditty from Cabbles Snr.  In these frustrating times, he stumbled across what he felt was worth sharing.  An insert from a 1974 programme at home to Huddersfield.  Not quite sure if it was meant to be printed in the actual programme, but anyway enjoy....

Comments

• cabbles said:
    A little ditty from Cabbles Snr.  In these frustrating times, he stumbled across what he felt was worth sharing.  An insert from a 1974 programme at home to Huddersfield.  Not quite sure if it was meant to be printed in the actual programme, but anyway enjoy....
    Bloke was an arrogant tosser.
  • 1974..... Turn the other cheek... hmmmm!   We were bashing the granny out of each other most weeks, home and away. I would assume this was in response to a recent event. 
  • Funnily enough i only learnt of Andy Nelson this week as his spell in charge was way before my my time (born 1989), and in my first week of January procrastination from work, I decided to look up details of the years we were promoted.

He was a manager who got us promoted in 74/75 - what was he like?
  • We were being told off.
  • clive said:
    Funnily enough i only learnt of Andy Nelson this week as his spell in charge was way before my my time (born 1989), and in my first week of January procrastination from work, I decided to look up details of the years we were promoted.

One of my favourite ex managers, manager of a side with Hales, Flanagan, Powell, Bowman & Hunt.
    Entertaining football, high scoring matches.
    He took us up with more or less the same side that Theo Foley had assembled.
    As a player he captained Ipswich under Alf Ramsey who won the League title in 1962.
    He was a tough character who didn't suffer fools gladly, coincidently born in the same area as Curbishley & Bowyer.
    After being sacked as manager he worked in the ticket office & i can remember him selling me & a couple of mates our season tickets, when he had a little chat with us, he seemed a decent chap.
    I've noticed that he is still surviving & is now aged 85.
    One of my Fav too. "Andy Nelsons Red and White Army" - great times.
  • I went to most games home and away 74/75 season really enjoyed the football, it was great to see us get promoted, Andy Nelson was a hard man what I think we needed at the time.
  • He just made a few signings like David Young to strengthen the defence.Was basically the same squad the late Theo Foley had built.Great season 74/75 hardly missed a game home or away 
  • Sponsored links:

• Loved that season (my first watching Charlton). The programme above would possibly have been the second game I ever attended. 
    Plenty of goals and entertaining games during that time.
  • Those 26k crowds v Palace, Gillingham and Preston seemed much larger than when we had 27k sell outs in the Premier league. Probably because they were.

Away followings were good too. Particularly remember the hordes we took to Brighton, Peterborough and Palace. Didn't manage to get to the last away at Chesterfield but heard it was manic up there. 
  • Peterborough away in the cup was a really bad day out for the few of us that went.Beaten on and off the pitch.Peterborough away in the league was very different for the same reasons- for the many more that went
  • Peterborough away in the cup was a really bad day out for the few of us that went.Beaten on and off the pitch.Peterborough away in the league was very different for the same reasons- for the many more that went
    Bloody hooligan.
  • For the league game there was a 'reception ' committee of Peterborough waiting for us by the train station as they were thinking there would only be a few of us a game.They were hot on their heals when they saw a mob of about 200 odd of us piling out of the station
  • Those 26k crowds v Palace, Gillingham and Preston seemed much larger than when we had 27k sell outs in the Premier league. Probably because they were.

Away followings were good too. Particularly remember the hordes we took to Brighton, Peterborough and Palace. Didn't manage to get to the last away at Chesterfield but heard it was manic up there. 
    All great awaydays including Chesterfield ... @blackpool72 and @TEL also definitely remember Chesterfield 

Brighton was always one of the best of the season 
  • For the league game there was a 'reception ' committee of Peterborough waiting for us by the train station as they were thinking there would only be a few of us a game.They were hot on their heals when they saw a mob of about 200 odd of us piling out of the station
    Lol we did take quite a few 
  • Sponsored links:

• Blackpool I remember you at the league game but can only remember your slimmer brother at the cup one😀
  • Blackpool I remember you at the league game but can only remember your slimmer brother at the cup one😀
    You ain't funny 😣
  • Having just turned 14 I was on the wall behind the goal about 30 minutes before kick off at the Posh league game. Suddenly a crowd of lads brushed me aside and about 100 Charlton ran across the pitch to take the posh end. 

I had been talking to an older posh fan at the time. He was so scared I sold him one of my scarves(tied around the wrist as was the way at the time) for £1. Bought the exact same scarf at the next home game with a 20p profit. Still see King Arthur heading our equaliser during the first half. Great days. 
    I think he was playing centre half that day.Luxury of strikers with Killer and Flanagan up front.Lov d them days - well most of them😀
  • clive said:
    Funnily enough i only learnt of Andy Nelson this week as his spell in charge was way before my my time (born 1989), and in my first week of January procrastination from work, I decided to look up details of the years we were promoted.

One of my favourite ex managers, manager of a side with Hales, Flanagan, Powell, Bowman & Hunt.
    As a player he captained Ipswich under Alf Ramsey who won the League title in 1962.
    He was a tough character who didn't suffer fools gladly, coincidently born in the same area as Curbishley & Bowyer.
    After being sacked as manager he worked in the ticket office & i can remember him selling me & a couple of mates our season tickets, when he had a little chat with us, he seemed a decent chap.
    I never realised he worked in the ticket office as well

Looking him up, according to Wikipedia he never managed again after leaving us which seems weird, as he was only in his mid 40s and did a pretty reasonable job with us, certainly good enough for him to get another opportunity elsewhere surely?
  • clive said:

I never realised he worked in the ticket office as well

Looking him up, according to Wikipedia he never managed again after leaving us which seems weird, as he was only in his mid 40s and did a pretty reasonable job with us, certainly good enough for him to get another opportunity elsewhere surely?
    Biography: Probably better known was a manager once his career was over having managed many clubs including Plymouth and Charlton, now lives in Alicante, Spain. Having retired, he won a Spanish Bowls Championship in 1995.
    https://www.where-are-they-now.co.uk/footballer/Nelson+Andy/3399
  • Funnily enough I blogged about this yesterday - go to the ITV Hub and download Big Match Revisited. I watched the Palace away game from that season yesterday - fantastic 45 mins of football - other games from the 70’s on there - they are brilliant. 
    Actually I remember that Chesterfield away game, the Police let the dogs off amongst us - that worked !! 
  • clive said:

Ha, can you imagine that these days!
  • I think he covered several tasks at the club after he was sacked.

I spoke to him on the phone about a ticket promotion idea.
  • Crusty54 said:
    I think he covered several tasks at the club after he was sacked.

I spoke to him on the phone about a ticket promotion idea.
    According to 'The Valliant 500' his role was commercial manager, which he left in November 1982.